lamictal... - Mothering Forums

#1 of 7 Old 12-11-2008, 12:04 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
how long did it take 'til you felt it was making a positive difference for you? and what mg were you at when you felt it was helping?

thank you! just wondering...i started 25 mg tonight...so far, so good...its been 5 hours on it. lol can you tell i'm so very hopeful!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 7 Old 12-14-2008, 03:33 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I have been on lamictal for a little over two months. I took it very very slowly b/c I wanted it to work but was afraid of side effects. I can say that it has changed my life. All the side effects that I have had have been completely outweighed by the positive effects it's had on my life.

At first I lost some hair but I started taking a supplement with extra selenium and zinc. That seemed to stave it off. I was a little foggy for the first few weeks. I had some mouth tenderness too with a few sores but I read that it often helps to switch to a non sodium laural sulfate toothpaste, which I did and got rid of them. I also have drier eyes now so I can't wear contacts as much, and my vision seemed to change a little as I was getting used to it. I did have some nausea and have actually lost weight. The weight loss is really the only worrisome side effect that I've had b/c it was quite a bit.

I did get a rash, but it was determined not to be SJS so I was able to continue on the med. From what I have read lamictal binds to melanin in skin, eyes and mucous membranes and is bound to cause problems in these areas. Just keep in contact with your dr if you start to develop a rash. I was able to push through mine, and it went away in less than 3 days.

Like I said, I dialed up the dosage slowly. I started on 25mg, taking it every other day for the first two weeks, and then taking it 2 days on 1 day off for a week. Then I went up to 3 days in a row 1 day off, and then just started following the dosage pack again.

By 50mg I was feeling all over the place though, which could have been from the drug but was mostly likely from all the stuff going on in my life. I saw my dr at a really low point, and she wanted to titrate my up to 150mg as soon as possible. I also asked for klonopin b/c I was very anxious on the med. That helped a lot, taking .5mg every night.

I feel like each titration up has brought more positive benefits. At first the 25mg every other day helped get me out of a deep dark depression. I felt better after just a week of taking it. Higher and I feel more productive, more like myself, and I have more clarity and less all-over-the-placeness in my life.

Now I am going on week 3 of 75mg. I tried to titrate up to 100mg as dr prescribed after 2 weeks of 75mg. Three days in I was having incredible irritability that klonopin was doing little for (turns out af started today, which I'm sure is part of that!), and now a slight rash has started. Since it's the weekend and I have an appt next week, the office told me to back back down to 75mg for the time being, which is good b/c I feel great on it for now and was not looking forward to the jump up.

I know that for true mood stablization I will need to be at 150mg or higher, but I feel really good right now. I get so much done! And my relationships with the people in my life are better. I'm a better mom.

I hope this helps. If you have anymore questions, please DM me! I feel so much better on this drug and cannot sing its praises enough.

Here are some links that have helped me:

http://www.crazymeds.us/lamictal.html

http://www.crazymeds.us/CrazyTalk/index.php?

Elizabeth - 33. Mother to ds 12-19-04 and ds 01-27-12. new tadpole due 05-25-14
#3 of 7 Old 12-14-2008, 03:59 AM

i started on 25mg and went up to 200mg. It took about 6 months to stabilize and start to feel half functional and be able to focus and not fall apart. after 16 years of living in the fog, it started to clear. and basically was my last attempt at giving life a chance. at the same time i started cymbalta so not sure which one was causing the side effects. i have dry mouth, constipation and dehydration. no matter how much water i drink i just can't keep quench my thirst. if i dont drink i get light headed and my pee gets really acidic. plus i'm horribly bloated which the psych thinks is related to cymbalta not lamictal. i have gained about 20 lbs in water weigh and i can't get it off no matter how much i work out. it's been about 2 years so i'm thinking of weaning off cymbalta and trying something else as it's not helping much with the depression.

single mama to DD 5.09

#4 of 7 Old 12-14-2008, 12:26 PM - Thread Starter

oh WOW thank you SO MUCH for that feedback mamas!!! : i have been very dehydrated (skin) all over but that started before the lamictal so i'm not sure its that...even my back's skin is sooo dry...but i'm feeling dry everywhere...my eyes, my mouth, everywhere...i'm thinking its the lamictal but i don't know yet...it IS winter and the heat is on and so forth...i have a tendancy to be dehydrated as it is...i don't ever drink enough water...so i will get on that.

my son has been very disturbed at night, waking every hour or half hour with what seem like really bad bowel/stomach issues and then during the day he gets the squirts but he was on augmentin and now he's on zithromiacin so hoping that will stop as of tonight (he just went on the zithro last night...i didn't like the effects of the augmentin for him...poor baby). yesterday he also was very sleepy which isn't like my son...he's more of a 'rapid cycling sleeper' lol he wakes me every hour on a regular basis despite if he is sick or not...we cosleep and he nurses and that is just how my babies are...sigh...so add sleep deprivation to the mix...

anyway, i worry for him being on this lamictal. i hope these side effects are not from the lamictal (referring to his symptoms that is...) and is from his antibiotics only. (he has an ear infection...that is why he is on an antibiotic)

i had a hard time last night w/ my dd and wound up saying some really hurtful things to her. i feel awful this morning about it... i swear she is going to grow up and despise me. i hope i can get this under control before she turns into a teenager or we are both in big trouble...

ooo its snowing again here...yay! (i'm in central oregon) i love it...so peaceful and pretty...

i'll keep you posted on how i feel on this. so far the dehydration is the only thing i notice. and yesterday i was real tired, but that is a norm for me...although this was a different kind of tired...it was just a 'i need to sleep' tired...like a cozy comfty napping kind of an afternoon...i don't know how to put it into words. my left arm has ached since i've taken this (i started on wednesday night) at 25 mg (night) but not sure its from the lamictal...hmmm. i felt better the first 2 days and then friday and yesterday i was a bit more on edge and irritable around my dd. she really pokes at my wounds so to speak...i ask her to stop and she keeps it up...and often times it really gets me going off. she knows what her attitude does to me when i'm down. i know she doesn't want me upset but oh man, its like she kicks me when i'm down and keeps on kicking me. to see how upset i'll get with her. i know she is a child and confused and such but ugh, i wish she wouldn't do that...it makes it so much worse for me and for our relationship...the poor dear. but i sure wish she'd stop that. and i am also struggling w/ allergic rhinitis...sigh. its always something. oh i also read about lamictal giving mouth sores (on crazy meds forum...what a great site! thanks!!!) and i do have a little exploded pimple taste bud thing on the tip of my tongue...oh they hurt so bad! i wonder now if that is from this med. sigh...

thanks again mamas who PP. i truly appreciate all this input!!! i'm staying w/ the 25 mg for the next week and a half, then i go to 50 mg for 2 wx. sigh...
#5 of 7 Old 12-15-2008, 01:40 PM - Thread Starter

: omg it is sooooo cold here. i'm not liking it cuz i am not prepared for it...i don't have snow boots (left them back in MN when i left the ex fiance...) or warm socks and oh i'm in misery. the heat is just going right out the windows here in the place i'm at and the doors too and so i'm heating the house w/ the oven. i'm snapping at my dd when she isn't cooperative and i'm just on eDgE. when is this med going to start helping me?

i think i'm more irritable and not sure if its from sleep deprivation (son has gas issues) and/or the lamictal and/or allergic rhinitis i'm suffering from. probably all of the above.

i'm not a happy camper today.
#6 of 7 Old 12-15-2008, 02:08 PM - Thread Starter

my eye hurts this morning too. i think its from the lamictal. its different than a sinus pressure...its odd, i don't know how to explain it. i'm not so sure about this med... i'm beginning to doubt anything can help me.

:
#7 of 7 Old 12-15-2008, 10:30 PM - Thread Starter

another update...all day today i've been so. tired. which is nothing new for me but since taking the lamictal, the last few days i've been so. very. tired. i took 2 naps today. i would have slept all day if i could have...thank god my son will nap with me...!

another thing i think is caused by this medication is that my right eye looks smaller than my left and it is puffy around it...almost like i got punched there and its starting to swell up...minus the bruise. although it does seem to be more dark/purplish in one area....so i'm thinking this is also due to the lamictal as it does say in the handout the pharmacy gave me w/ the med to call my dr. if i experience...............and one of them amongst many is swelling of hands lips face EYES throat or tongue. and it says call dr. immediately if you experience unusual bruising. persistent sore throat (but see, i'm dealing w/ allergic rhinitis prior to starting this so i don't know if its the lamictal or that...) or irritability. drowsiness. oh yeah...i definitely feel drowsy. like a zombie. i'm good for NOTHING the past few days...

so. i left my prescribing MHNP a message and we shall see what she says. i also have taking a zyrtec for allergies, a sudafed for allergies/congestion/postnasal drip/sore throat and tylenol for the same. maybe its reacting w/ those?

i'm sooo frustrated. i so want to feel better but looks like i'm feeling worse to feel better which doesn't make sense and i don't know if these side effects are temporary or if they are something i would have to live w/ while taking this med. i can't imagine taking a higher dose. i'm scared...knowing me i WILL get that rash... (what is the treatment for it, i wonder...and would i have to in the hospital should i get it, even if caught right away?) i am so tired of feeling sick and tired all the way around... will i EVER find the right med.

as for the cold here, i found out this morning that the heating system was down. yikes! on the coldest day of winter yet...all day i was freeeeezing in here...i cranked the oven, but that didn't help much. now the heat works but still not totally kosher in here...sigh.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page