Is Anyone Happy w/ Effexor??? - Mothering Forums

#1 of 9 Old 12-11-2008, 10:59 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Gosh, I just did a search and found so much bad stuff. I'm trying to remind myself that people always share more of the negative in response to questions in order to help one another.

There must be someone out here that is actually happy with it?

I was diagnosed with depression at a VERY young age. I didn't begin medication as treatment until I was 17/18. I have taken a huge array of meds trying to find the right one...paxil, prozac, wellbutrin, lexapro, zoloft, etc, etc, etc. The first medication that truly helped pull me out of the darkness was Effexor when I was 20 years old. (I'm 30 now) It was hugely effective for a good, solid 6 months....and then it faded for me.

So.....up to present time. The past year has been full of medical issues. Heart surgery, kidney stones, etc, etc, etc. Two of my hospital experiences were very traumatic and I am still trying to get beyond them.

Over the past three months I have been falling into the darkness of depression again. It has presented differently (which I guess is due to age and the fact that I am a mother) so it took me longer to recognize it. I blamed hormones, adhd, etc....for all of it.

I went to see my Psych yesterday....she has been treating me for adhd and I have been on 10mg lexapro for 3 years. When I told her how serious my struggle has been over the past weeks, she did a big med change.

She changed my ADHD meds and is weaning me off the lexapro and wants me to take Effexor again. She said since it was so effective in the past, we should use it as a tool now to help me get out of this darkness again.

I remember that as a careless teenager I would often forget to fill my script and when I went w/out the effexor for 12 hours too long I would get a horrible "water head" feeling. I don't recall other side-effects, though. I did a slow weaning back then so weaning wasn't horrible, either.

I still feel afraid to take it, though.

Can someone who relates offer me some experience stories??

Becky ~Blessed to Mother (DD - 1/3/02) (DD - 2/16/04) (DS - 8/11/05)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 9 Old 12-11-2008, 12:17 PM

I love Effexor. It's the only med that works for me. I have GAD with comorbid depression.

The only drawback is I was unable to wean off it (wanted to see if I was well enough to continue without it after a year), so I'll probably be on it for life.

Good luck!
#3 of 9 Old 12-11-2008, 12:35 PM

just curious...your dr was treating you for depression and ADHD? i just wonder about this dX because ADHD symptoms are more hyper compared to ADD and also bipolar can often look very similar to ADD/ADHD symptoms... and since you say you suffer from major depression i wonder do you also feel 'up' in any way ever?

my hunch is if the effexor wore off before it isn't the one for you...and it sounds like you may need something for your mood/concentration/impulsitivity...just my hunch as i'm going thru a very similar thing from just being on antidepressants and them not helping me enough...i finally just got on lamictal yesterday along w/ the zoloft. (see my posts for more info if you want) i would recommend another dX from someone who really knows their stuff re mental health. you will know when you vibe w/ someone...some of those mental health people don't seem to get me...but this nurse i have (she is a mental health/psychiatric nurse) really knows mental health and i'm sooo happy w/ her. as i've said, some are private practice MHNP and less expensive than psychiatrists (and often more knowledgeable if you ask me).

hugs and know you are not alone.

#4 of 9 Old 12-11-2008, 01:17 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you for your quick replies.

doubly - I was actually once dx'd as bipolar... and both a second and third opinion claimed it to be a false diagnosis, to which I agreed. My "hyperactivity" in the ADHD presents more in things like cleaning and such....and this is present on a daily basis... and in combination with the depression again on a daily basis. It's all very steady and very daily...(if that makes any sense.) As I recall, it was that consistency which led the other two psych's to contradict the BD with major depression and eventually, ADHD. All that said, I welcome any more feedback you have on it, as I am open to new ways of thinking if it could mean a happier Mama and wife.

#5 of 9 Old 12-17-2008, 06:03 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I was extremely happy while on Effexor. However, I have 2 BIG warnings. One- Do NOT drink alcohol with it. Or a lot of it near the end of your dose of it. Example, I was drinking with friends one night after a big football game on tv, not thinking anything of my meds (new at them) I agreed to have a few beers. Well, towards the end of the night when my dose starts to peak and run out of my body (normally while sleeping), I blacked out. There was no really drunk then blackout period for me. Which after a lot of research the next week, points out that when Effexor peaks, the alcohol doubles and triples according to weight and how much you drank in effect of drunkiness. Which explains the rate at which I blacked out. Which I normally don't black out when drunk. Only once before as a teenager and on hard alcohol. Not beer.
Two- is you can never stop taking Effexor. A doctor is suppose to gradually lower your dose over time to the lowest dose. Then add the lowest dose of whatever type of medicine that you can stop taking or change to. Any stop of Effexor and your body goes through serious drug withdrawals that are equivalent to crack or cocaine. I've done it. Mine was pregnancy related though. So I chose to stop abruptly. I was throwing up all medicines except my thyroid one. I was on 2 different ones. Effexor and Concerta. My body was throwing up both. Which I didn't realize until I finally stopped taking Concerta a few months afterwards.
But while on Effexor, I loved it!!

Married to a Navy man of 14 yrs.
03/02: 11/05: 01/08: 10-18-09: 10-31-10 and 7/22/13 with twins, 01-08-15, and newest is due 02/13/16

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

m/c 06/97, 01/03, and 10/13
#6 of 9 Old 12-18-2008, 12:41 PM

I know two people on Effexor and one who has come off of it with no problem. She did a very very slow wean and was fine. Both liked it alot and one is still on it because its helped her so much. I think like soo many meds its all depending on the person.
#7 of 9 Old 12-18-2008, 12:46 PM

I didn't like being on Effexor when I took it years ago for PPD and anxiety. I just felt vaguely unhealthy while on it, and weird, and I didn't like it. I switched to a strong amino acid supplement and high-protein diet program, under the guidance of my counselor and chiropractors, while getting off of the Effexor. Getting off of the Effexor made me feel SO SICK but within three days of my last dose of Effexor, I was back to normal, and the new amino acid/diet program healed my depression completely -- and quickly -- and got me back to feeling truly healthy in every way -- instead of just kind of blanketing my symptoms or whatever it was that the Effexor was doing -- whatever it was, it didn't feel good.

♥ blogger astrologer mom to three cool kiddos, and trying to figure out this divorce thing-- Blossom and Glow ♥

#8 of 9 Old 12-19-2008, 03:39 PM - Thread Starter

How did you get the amino acids in you?

I am already on a very high-protein diet...so maybe adding in the amino acids would be beneficial to me, as well.

I've been on the effexor now for a week and so far, so good.

#9 of 9 Old 12-19-2008, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaRBH View Post
How did you get the amino acids in you?

I am already on a very high-protein diet...so maybe adding in the amino acids would be beneficial to me, as well.

I've been on the effexor now for a week and so far, so good.
I definitely recomend doing the amino acids under the guidance of some kind of professional who has experience wit hthem-- the wrong balance of amino acids can mess you up more.

I took them in supplement pill form. For me, I took Lysine, 5-HTP, and Glutamine. The amino acids you are missing, and the amounts your body needs, may very likely be different than mine. I got two of the bottles of amino acid pills at the health food store and one from my chiropractor. Good luck!

♥ blogger astrologer mom to three cool kiddos, and trying to figure out this divorce thing-- Blossom and Glow ♥

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page