What is ativan like? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 02-25-2009, 07:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
To keep a long story short, I need to see the dentist, and after my second-to-last experience, I've developed anxiety about dentists. A doctor suggested that I ask my (new) dentist to prescribe ativan.

I've never taken ativan, and I'm concerned about experiencing surprising side effects in the middle of things. Of course this may not be a big deal, but I'd rather just make sure. One option (suggested by the doctor) is to ask the dentist to prescribe two doses, so that I can test it out first. But, for some reason, I seem to feel too awkward about asking that.

So first, I'm wondering, what is it like to take ativan?

The next thing I'm wondering is this... I am used to taking klonopin, although I haven't in awhile. Should I ask for klonopin instead? Or are they pretty similar, so that I can expect the same kind of effects?

Thanks
#2 of 12 Old 02-25-2009, 10:51 PM

I was given Ativan when I went to the hospital for an anxiety attack. It KNOCKED me out. I don't know how much they gave me but I know that I only took one pill at home and I was knocked out for two days. The doctor told me I could split the pills but I so freaked that I didn't take it anymore.

Why dont you try sedation dentistry? I totally understand about having anxiety at the dentist. About two days before I had the anxiety attack, I was at the dentist office and I had to get them to stop so I could take a moment to compose myself....I was having some major anxiety.

I was thinking about trying sedation dentistry..

"Breastfeeding is a robust, biologically stable activity so central to our evolutionary identity that it names the class of animals to which we belong" (Breastfeeding Atlas, Third Edition)
#3 of 12 Old 03-02-2009, 01:23 AM - Thread Starter

Oh, thank you, that's good to know in advance! This is just the thing I'm worried about. I don't need or want to be knocked out, I just need something to prevent anxiety. Dentists didn't used to freak me out, so I don't have major dentist phobia, just a certain amount of anxiety after a negative experience. I think I'll call them on Monday and ask them to prescribe the lowest dose of klonopin instead.
#4 of 12 Old 03-10-2009, 07:24 PM

Ativan is very nice. I get sleepy and relaxed the few times I've taken it. It's used in the hospital A LOT to relieve anxiety. Drips are used for short term control of seizures (before traditional meds can kick in) and sedation when mechanically ventilated. It is also abused a lot, people will come with false symptoms just so they can get their ativan fix every four hours.

Very rarely people have a paradoxical reaction to ativan. Instead of relaxing they get even more agitated and difficult to redirect. I've seen this mostly in elderly patients but I have seen in once in a 20 year old.

I have the same result with klonopin and ativan. Both are benzos.
#5 of 12 Old 03-10-2009, 08:39 PM

My dentist gave me 1 mg.

I took it before I left for the appointment and had my friend drive just in case.

She said I acted 100% normally. I felt 100% normally. Frankly I couldn't tell I'd taken anything and I'm a drunk from 1 beer kind of person.

I'd say if you take a low dose you should be fine, oh and the dentist appointment was great. I was totally at ease.
#6 of 12 Old 03-10-2009, 11:52 PM

I used it alot for anxiety. It does make you drowsy until you get use to it. It knocks your anxiety out completely in under an hour, works for anywhere from 1-8 hours and gives you a big hang over
#7 of 12 Old 03-11-2009, 12:03 AM

http://bipolar.about.com/cs/sfx/a/sfx_ativan.htm

Please do not take this "medication". This SH*T almost killed my mother-in-law. I don't want to go into details right now, but I would gladly pm you if you want to know more. PLEASE do a little reading before you take it.

Maybe you could try Valerian. It is a very effective herbal supplement, that acts as a mild to moderate sedative and anti-anxiety

http://www.botanical.com/botanical/mgmh/v/valeri01.html

None of the ideas expressed above are actually mine. They are told to me by Luthor and Ferdinand, the five inch tall space aliens who live under my desk. In return for these ideas, I have given them permission to eat any dust bunnies they may find under there.shine.gif

#8 of 12 Old 03-11-2009, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilbsmama View Post
http://bipolar.about.com/cs/sfx/a/sfx_ativan.htm

Please do not take this "medication". This SH*T almost killed my mother-in-law. I don't want to go into details right now, but I would gladly pm you if you want to know more. PLEASE do a little reading before you take it.

Maybe you could try Valerian. It is a very effective herbal supplement, that acts as a mild to moderate sedative and anti-anxiety

http://www.botanical.com/botanical/mgmh/v/valeri01.html
well it saved me when I couldn't take anti depressants and wasn't functioning because of anxiety. SO research it yes but don't believe me or lilbsmama at face value, you gotta decide what works for you.
#9 of 12 Old 03-12-2009, 11:36 AM

I dont take anti depressant because im too sensittive to medication but i do take ativan, i find it very mild compared to clonazapam.
#10 of 12 Old 04-04-2009, 08:25 AM

I know this is a bit old but I was just browsing through the board...

I take ativan infrequently (Around 1/week) and have felt no compulsion to take more than what I need. Apparently they're very wary of prescribing it here due to dependency issues.

I have cycled unsuccessfully through antidepressants, antipsychotics, sleeping medications and some other anti-anxiety meds without having any success with any of them.

I switched to natural remedies for my depression and sleep issues quite successfully for the longest time, but nothing even the natural range even came close to addressing my panic symptoms. (Many of which I didn't even know were panic related until I took something that made them go away.)

I did not find that Ativan impacted my mental state in any way, but I did find that my physical symptoms diminished drastically. I take it only when I have overwhelmingly physical symptoms (Such as heart palpitations or "tensed up" muscles/shaking, nausea/vomiting etc.) with great success.

I do find that if I take it when I enter what I know will be an extremely high-stress oriented situation that I avoid the onset of physical side effects entirely and this aids me in handling things mentally.

I have found on the rare occasion when I've taken it when I had panic attacks at night that I've found it easier to sleep, but this may be because of the physical relaxation and my being tired anyway.

I've heard of many people having many different responses to it and I wouldn't eliminate it as a possibility before trying it if you've had it recommended to you. The nice thing about ativan is that you don't have to take it for 6 weeks or however long before seeing its effects. It acts virtually immediately and you can stop whenever you like.
#11 of 12 Old 04-04-2009, 11:59 AM

I really think it alll depends on the person. My DH took an ativan before a procedure and it did nothing. I've never taken ativan but one time I took ONE tablet of gravol and slept for almost 2 days. So really...it all depends on the bodys reaction.
#12 of 12 Old 05-13-2009, 03:18 PM - Thread Starter

I logged back in and noticed that people had kept responding, so I thought I'd update. I ended up taking it. The dentist prescribed me two pills and I decided that I'd take one. Since the bus commute to the dentist is 45 min and it said to crush the pill and take it 30 min before the appt, I decided to arrive early and take it there, which is what they do for their usual med that they use. However when I arrived early they whisked me in for the appointment right after taking it. So, I don't know if it simply hadn't kicked in enough or if I should have taken two pills for that appointment (which was an extraction and pretty intense), but I was shaking and all that. Still, I felt calmer than I normally would have, at the very least just from knowing there was an anti-anxiety in me and I wouldn't panic more. I was very calm after the appointment ;P

I took the second pill for the next appointment, a filling replacement. That time I took it before leaving home. That was fine, although afterwards there was about 30 minutes where I was slightly woozy, as if I was sleep deprived, but that passed.

So now I'm deciding whether to ask for it for my next two filling replacements, which will be a bit more extensive than the last one, and then I'm done with the dentist for awhile. Somehow making this decision always ends up being really hard.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page