Mothering Forums

Mothering Forums (
-   Mental Health (
-   -   Childhood depression... where to turn? (

lilgreen 03-31-2009 08:15 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I'm increasingly suspicious that my precious ds1 (7) may be depressed. He is so utterly down on himself and life and has wild outbursts over the most simple things. He doesn't stay completely down all day, but he does get in ruts where he doesn't seem genuinely happy for several days.

Both dh and I are on ssri's and we both have depression on both sides of our families.

I'm in Canada and I'm wondering what I should do if I suspect depression in my child. Do I talk to my psychiatrist? Do I talk to our family dr.? Do I contact our community health nurse? Do I seek out a good psychiatrist?

Does anyone have any good info online that I can look over first and maybe discuss it with dh?

Thanks so much in advance.

Surfacing 06-02-2009 12:12 AM

Starting with your family doctor is a good place... she/he can make a referral for assessment... there are resources in the community... Where are you in Canada?

I'm sorry this is happening with your son. We have similar concerns in our family tree and our keeping our eyes open with stuff we see in dd1.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:55 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Resources saved on this page: MySQL 5.56%
vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2015 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2015 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.