Childhood depression... where to turn? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 03-31-2009, 07:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
I'm increasingly suspicious that my precious ds1 (7) may be depressed. He is so utterly down on himself and life and has wild outbursts over the most simple things. He doesn't stay completely down all day, but he does get in ruts where he doesn't seem genuinely happy for several days.

Both dh and I are on ssri's and we both have depression on both sides of our families.

I'm in Canada and I'm wondering what I should do if I suspect depression in my child. Do I talk to my psychiatrist? Do I talk to our family dr.? Do I contact our community health nurse? Do I seek out a good psychiatrist?

Does anyone have any good info online that I can look over first and maybe discuss it with dh?

Thanks so much in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 2 Old 06-01-2009, 11:12 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Starting with your family doctor is a good place... she/he can make a referral for assessment... there are resources in the community... Where are you in Canada?

I'm sorry this is happening with your son. We have similar concerns in our family tree and our keeping our eyes open with stuff we see in dd1.

wash.gif  Me  + bikenew.gif Dh =  broc1.gif  Dd1(9 yrs) + hearts.gif  Dd2(6 yrs) and blowkiss.gif Ds(3.5 yrs)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page