Preagnant and going off Zoloft - partially x-posted in I'm Pregnant - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 40 Old 05-17-2009, 04:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm 39 and pg with my 4th. I'm just 5 weeks pregnant.

I was taking 100 mg Zoloft for depression and was doing very well on it. All my docs said it was fine and safe to continue. However, it's a category C drug so I've stopped taking it. I am now having these really weird tingly flashes throughout my body. When they happen I also get this sort of foggy feeling in my head, not quite dizziness or lightheadedness but something similar. I'm hoping this will pass once I finish going through withdrawals, assuming that's what it is.

Anyway, does anyone have any suggestions of things I can do to treat my depression without drugs? I'm not concerned about becoming suicidal or anything like that. My main issues are that I have very little energy, get very irritable and feel like every little things is the hardest task and I just can't do it.

knit.gifSAHM to 3 boys and 1 man; 22 jammin.gif, 9REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, 5 FIREdevil.gifand now 1 year oldtoddler.gif!

#2 of 40 Old 05-17-2009, 06:08 PM

I read your post in the "I'm Pregnant" forum but thought I'd respond here. Going off of medication can be really hard. The SSRIs are particularly difficult. I was on Effexor for years and when I went off that it was one of the hardest things ever. I felt all weird in the head (physically). But, I did it incredibly slow. It did go away.

When I found out I was pregnant, I decided to off of my medication for depression. I was taking Lamictal. My midwife was very unhappy with this decision. They really felt as though I should have stayed on it.

But, my symptoms sound really similar to yours. I felt like I'd probably be able to make it without taking anything as I'm not super depressed. It's been hard. I feel really lethargic and it's hard to get motivated.

Like people said on the other board, excercise is a big thing. It doesn't have to be anything formal. Just playing with the kids, running around....that kind of stuff.

Omega 3s are good as well. They are good for the baby, too. Just stay away from the fish ones if you take a supplement. You don't want to go overboard on mercury.

Talking to people about it and staying in touch with your mental health provider will be big. The moment that you start to feel worse, you need to take action.

Also, make sure you get plenty of sunlight. Looks like you live in North Carolina, so it should be getting pretty nice there. Drink lots of water and make sure that you eat when you are hungry. That's always a trigger for me.

Just remember that you need to do what is best for you and the baby. Sometimes meds aren't the worse case scenario. I'm trying to keep an open mind. If I need my meds, I need them. If I can go without, then great.

Good luck. I know it's really hard. Just do your best and most importantly, be honest with yourself.

Proud mom of Dylan born 10/10/09
#3 of 40 Old 05-17-2009, 06:38 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
ZOLOFT IS NOW A CATEGORY B DRUG!!!!!

It's very safe to take in pregnancy. You CANNOT QUIT ZOLOFT, or any other ssri, WITHOUT WEANING OFF IT VERRRRRRRRY SLOWLY!!!

How did you stop? When? I suggest you go back on it, at least 25 or 50 mg, until you get yourself leveled out. Talk to a psychiatrist who specializes in Perinatal depression and ask about taking it. It's very very very safe.

Please consider going back on it and then weaning slowly. FWIW, the molecular weight of zoloft makes it really hard to cross the placenta. I took zoloft throughout my second pregnancy and everything was/is fine. My 18 month old boy is perfect, very very advanced for his age (speaking at a 2+ year old level) and is very very healthy.

Mom to two beautiful boys, now in school to be a therapist and help other women with PPD.  

#4 of 40 Old 05-17-2009, 07:21 PM - Thread Starter

I can't even spell "pregnant".

Thanks, both of you.

I can't take fish oil. It makes me sick. I'll stick to the flaxseed.

I just looked up Zoloft 2 days ago and it was listed as a category C. When was it switched to B?

I'll be talking to my doc tomorrow. Unfortunately, there are only 2 psychiatrists in this town and neither specializes in perinatal.

What happened was that my 2yo ran off with my pill bottle in between the time that I talked to my psychiatrist and an OB. My psychiatrist said it was up to me and my OB whether to continue on it. The OB I saw said it was fine. I spent 3 days looking for it before finally giving up and getting it refilled. After talking to the pharmacist about it I decided to just not start taking it again. All this happened over the weekend so I haven't been able to talk to my doc yet.

I'm on so many drugs, though. I really want to get off of all of them. In addition to the Zoloft, I have to take low dose aspirin every day and I read that it can be dangerous to take aspirin with Zoloft. I also have been having to take acetaminophen daily for cramps but only once or twice. Oh, and Clarinex for allergies. I just got a script for that Tuesday. I haven't started taking that yet. My allergies aren't that bad. The OB said that taking all of these things together was ok but it makes me nervous.

knit.gifSAHM to 3 boys and 1 man; 22 jammin.gif, 9REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, 5 FIREdevil.gifand now 1 year oldtoddler.gif!

#5 of 40 Old 05-17-2009, 07:30 PM

Oh, honey.

I know how you must be worried, and it sounds like you have a lot of stress going on.

Please just talk to your doctor for reassurance. Some sources have zoloft as category B, some are not updated and still have it as C. It's VERY safe. Did the person who prescribed the zoloft for you know about your taking aspirin? If so, then don't worry. They will NOT prescribe something for you that's not safe with your other meds. If you are concerned, call your pharmacist and ask. Usually, they are really helpful. As far as the Clarinex... that should be fine, too. Tylenol is always fine, I think. Not too many things interact with that.

I know when we are pregnant, we worry about everything. But trust the people who you have entrusted with your prenatal care.

Also, as far as withdrawals, if you go cold turkey (which is NOT A GOOD THING TO DO--- you can have all kinds of awful symptoms, physical and mental) the withdrawals can last for two weeks to two months. So it's not worth it, you really should go back on at least a small dose to help you wean off of it. Or trust me, you will be feeling awful and that is no fun while pregnant OR taking care of a little one.

I really hope the best for you. Talk to those people and get all of your meds out on the table and tell your OB what you are taking. Then, trust your OB that what you are taking is fine.

Mom to two beautiful boys, now in school to be a therapist and help other women with PPD.  

#6 of 40 Old 05-17-2009, 07:59 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom0810 View Post
Did the person who prescribed the zoloft for you know about your taking aspirin?

trust the people who you have entrusted with your prenatal care.
Thanks. I was taking the Zoloft before I started the aspirin. I only need the aspirin if I'm pregnant. I did talk to a person at my psychs office and she said my Zoloft dose was so low that it should be fine.

Trusting these people is part of my problem. I trust my psychiatrist but I don't trust his assistant that I saw. I had to see her because it would've been too long of a wait to see the doc. I see a CPM for my prenatal care but she can't get licensed in this state so she referred me to this OB for the questions about my meds. It was the first time I had seen that OB. I don't know him although I do trust my midwife. I haven't talked to her about my appointment with him or all the other stuff yet.

#7 of 40 Old 05-17-2009, 08:03 PM

Quote:

It's very safe to take in pregnancy. You CANNOT QUIT ZOLOFT, or any other ssri, WITHOUT WEANING OFF IT VERRRRRRRRY SLOWLY!!!

How did you stop? When? I suggest you go back on it, at least 25 or 50 mg, until you get yourself leveled out. Talk to a psychiatrist who specializes in Perinatal depression and ask about taking it. It's very very very safe.

Please consider going back on it and then weaning slowly. FWIW, the molecular weight of zoloft makes it really hard to cross the placenta. I took zoloft throughout my second pregnancy and everything was/is fine. My 18 month old boy is perfect, very very advanced for his age (speaking at a 2+ year old level) and is very very healthy.
Just a big ol' YEAH THAT. If you feel you absolutely must, just have to come off of the Zoloft, try and go verrrrry slowly. My first pregnancy I went cold turkey off of it and was admitted to ground floor psych for hallucinations , second pregnancy I stayed on it.

I've since weaned off (literally over months) since my cognitive therapy is working wonders, but I would not hesitate to start it again (I was taking it for anxiety)...

Full time working mom to two bright and busy little girls! treehugger.gif
#8 of 40 Old 05-18-2009, 11:57 AM

Yes to the above. I, too, have weaned off of my zoloft, but I went so slowly that it took 2 months and I was only taking 50 mg. I am in therapy, too, and was under close watch (still am) by my therapist and people around me to see if any of my anxiety stuff starts coming back.

OP, I think what is happening, also, is that you are letting anxiety get the best of you. You chose good people to take care of you during your pregnancy, and those good people referred you to other good people. Trust them.

Even if you saw the pdoc's assisitant, that person also has a license to protect and will not tell you to take anything that is not safe. If you are concerned, put in a call to the pdoc's voicemail. They check those regularly and she will call you back. Just say you are having anxiety about taking all of your meds together and you just wanted to confirm it's okay. That should make you feel better.

Go back on the zoloft for now, is my advice. 25 mg, even. You can have dangerous hallucinations, horrible dreams, headaches that will feel awful, and flulike symptoms from going off of it too fast. It's not very fun. That coupled with being pregnant... waaay too much for you to deal with now.

I'm thinking of you and hoping you are feeling better already.

#9 of 40 Old 05-21-2009, 08:37 PM - Thread Starter

Well, I started feeling so bad Sunday evening that I had to take the Zoloft. I took 100 mg that night and Monday. I talked to my pdoc on Tuesday about weaning off it. He said to take half my dose, 50 mg, for 2 weeks and then stop completely. 2 more weeks isn't too bad. I've been on 50 mg for 2 days now and I feel fine, no withdrawals at all.

Thank you, everyone, for all your help.

#10 of 40 Old 05-21-2009, 10:14 PM

DO NOT STOP AT 50!!!

Take 50 for 3-4 weeks, then go to 25 for 2 weeks, then 12.5 for 2 weeks, then 6.25 for two weeks, then stop. That's way too fast.

You don't need to wean... stay at 50 if you think you need to.

If you are going to wean off, especially during pregnancy, do it painstakingly slowly.

#11 of 40 Old 05-21-2009, 10:48 PM - Thread Starter

If I do it that way, by the time I'm fully off it I might as well get back on it again. I'm going to follow my doc's suggestion. If it doesn't work out, I'll talk to him again about going back on a smaller dose for a bit.

#12 of 40 Old 05-25-2009, 03:19 AM

Quote:

Category B!!!! This is indeed good news. I will need to check up on it as I am taking this and TTC. It seems to be working well for me so I will continue to take during pregnancy. I feel confident that it is much less riskier to take a med that calms and improves my mood/depression and anxiety as opposed to being completely depressed and anxious so much that I constantly felt a stressful vibration inside my body all the time and could never relax. I'm 44 and have had two m/c's with this type of stress so Zoloft could be my lifesaver for a healthy pregnancy.

Good luck to you whatever you decide to do and post back to let us know how you're doing.

Kate, Wife to DH and Mommy to a 5yo lovin' DS; three angels 4/08 9/08 3/10 in Heaven,
waitin' for my baby

#13 of 40 Old 05-25-2009, 09:31 AM - Thread Starter

I added bolding to everything except the headings. I have not been able to find any official documentation that says that Zoloft is now an FDA category B drug. Here is what I got from the FDA website.

Official product label for Zoloft from the FDA dated 01/30/09

"Pregnancy–Pregnancy Category C–Reproduction studies have been performed in rats and rabbits at doses up to 80 mg/kg/day and 40 mg/kg/day, respectively. These doses correspond to approximately 4 times the maximum recommended human dose (MRHD) on a mg/m2 basis. There was no evidence of teratogenicity at any dose level. When pregnant rats and rabbits were given sertraline during the period of organogenesis, delayed ossification was observed in fetuses at doses of 10 mg/kg (0.5 times the MRHD on a mg/m2 basis) in rats and 40 mg/kg (4 times the MRHD on a mg/m2 basis) in rabbits. When female rats received sertraline during the last third of gestation and throughout lactation, there was an increase in the number of stillborn pups and in the number of pups dying during the first 4 days after birth. Pup body weights were also decreased during the first four days after birth. These effects occurred at a dose of 20 mg/kg (1 times the MRHD on a mg/m2 basis). The no effect dose for rat pup mortality was 10 mg/kg (0.5 times the MRHD on a mg/m2 basis). The decrease in pup survival was shown to be due to in utero exposure to sertraline. The clinical significance of these effects is unknown. There are no adequate and well-controlled studies in pregnant women. ZOLOFT (sertraline hydrochloride) should be used during pregnancy only if the potential benefit justifies the potential risk to the fetus.

Pregnancy-Nonteratogenic Effects–Neonates exposed to Zoloft and other SSRIs or SNRIs, late in the third trimester have developed complications requiring prolonged hospitalization, respiratory support, and tube feeding. These findings are based on post marketing reports. Such complications can arise immediately upon delivery. Reported clinical findings have included respiratory distress, cyanosis, apnea, seizures, temperature instability, feeding difficulty, vomiting, hypoglycemia, hypotonia, hypertonia, hyperreflexia, tremor, jitteriness, irritability, and constant crying. These features are consistent with either a direct toxic effect of SSRIs and SNRIs or, possibly, a drug discontinuation syndrome. It should be noted that, in some cases, the clinical picture is consistent with serotonin syndrome (see WARNINGS).

Infants exposed to SSRIs in late pregnancy may have an increased risk for persistent pulmonary hypertension of the newborn (PPHN). PPHN occurs in 1-2 per 1,000 live births in the general population and is associated with substantial neonatal morbidity and mortality. In a retrospective case-control study of 377 women whose infants were born with PPHN and 836 women whose infants were born healthy, the risk for developing PPHN was approximately sixfold higher for infants exposed to SSRIs after the 20th week of gestation compared to infants who had not been exposed to antidepressants during pregnancy. There is currently no corroborative evidence regarding the risk for PPHN following exposure to SSRIs in pregnancy; this is the first study that has investigated the potential risk. The study did not include enough cases with exposure to individual SSRIs to determine if all SSRIs posed similar levels of PPHN risk.

When treating a pregnant woman with ZOLOFT during the third trimester, the physician should carefully consider both the potential risks and benefits of treatment (see DOSAGE AND ADMINISTRATION). Physicians should note that in a prospective longitudinal study of 201 women with a history of major depression who were euthymic in the context of antidepressant therapy at the beginning of pregnancy, women who discontinued antidepressant medication during pregnancy were more likely to experience a relapse of major depression than women who continued antidepressant medication."

#14 of 40 Old 05-26-2009, 05:37 PM

This is the OLD information and the FDA still has it out for some reason. It's not category C... but even IF it were, that does not mean anything. Please check out Kellymom.com or Dr Hale's page.

What you are typing from Marine Wife, is just the package insert and apparently they have not changed it in a while.

The studies that have been more recent show that there are no tetragenic effects greater than what occurs in the general population. BUT, if ONE mother who happened to be taking zoloft had a problem with her baby, they HAVE to put it as a side effect of the drug, whether it was or it wasn't. It could have happened twice as often in the control population, but the way the law is written, just because ONE thing happened to the mom who WAS taking it, it has to be written to include as possible side effect. Even if it wasn't from the drug.

Also, just to get some perspective... Advair, an asthma drug, is category C. I took it through BOTH pregnancies because I NEED IT. Both babies, perfectly fine. No doctor had issue with it. Same thing with zoloft. NO doctor (or midwife) that is qualified would ever tell you not to take it. Ever.

#15 of 40 Old 05-26-2009, 05:48 PM

From Dr. Hale edition 2006:

Sertraline (zoloft)

Pregnancy Risk Category B
Lactation Risk Category 2

Dr. Hale is one of the foremost researchers on drugs and mother's milk and pregnancy.

I totally trust this book.

I have another quote from a doctor that I will try to find but it's from Beyond the Blues... and the Doctor is saying (paraphrasing here) that for years he wasted time being worried about the effects of antidepressants on pregnancy. What he SHOULD have been worried about is the effect going WITHOUT them would have on the women who were pregnant and depressed and on their developing babies. Depression and anxiety are WAY more harmful to a fetus than zoloft ever could be.

Thomm Hartmann also had something on his show about research showing that what anxiety does to a fetus is tell it, before it's born, that they world is not a safe place. So the brain develops differently than if the mother was calm and relaxed. So you see how much more important it is to take your meds than try to wean because of old outdated information.

#16 of 40 Old 05-26-2009, 05:58 PM

http://books.google.com/books?id=L0l...VqDaYeJhBd45k&

Excerpt from the EDISON GENE by Thom Hartman. Scroll down to page 97 and start reading.

Stress and depression cause cortisol to be released in mom's blood. Check out what THAT does to your developing baby.

#17 of 40 Old 05-26-2009, 06:00 PM

chiming in to add: a wonderful book about psychiatric drugs and pregnancy that came out this year: Pregnant on Prozac by Shoshanna Bennet. This book is really really informative.
#18 of 40 Old 05-26-2009, 06:03 PM - Thread Starter

Can you give me a direct link to anything that says Zoloft is a category C medication and has a date? I'm not seeing anything. Kellymom.com and Dr. Hale are both directed toward breastfeeding, not pregnancy. Meds that are safe while breastfeeding a fully formed child are not necessarily safe during pregnancy.

The information I got from the FDA website is not even 6 months old yet (not that I really trust the FDA to be correct about something being safe in the first place). The package insert is not a "just". It contains very important info for the person taking the meds.

The fact is that any medication or drug has risks. There is no way to say anything is 100% completely safe. My stand is to not risk it if I don't need it. Frankly, I don't see how it's more important to take meds that have known risks vs. not taking meds and possibly being so stressed or anxious that it affects my unborn baby's development. As I said in my initial post, I don't not get extremely depressed or anxious or stressed when not on Zoloft. I can function quite well. I just do better on it.

I would love to see some links to references with dates that I can read myself.

#19 of 40 Old 05-26-2009, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisasaurus View Post
chiming in to add: a wonderful book about psychiatric drugs and pregnancy that came out this year: Pregnant on Prozac by Shoshanna Bennet. This book is really really informative.
She's awesome. I have talked to her many times.

I want to add that Category C is not necessarily dangerous at all. It just means that the data is either unavailable, or inconclusive. As I stated earlier, if ANY thing happened in a study to a mom taking zoloft, they would have to report it... but the SAME thing could have happened to 3 moms who were NOT taking zoloft IN THE SAME study and they do not report that. So even if the event happening to the mom or baby ON zoloft was not related to it, they have to report it just because she was on the drug. My pdoc explained it much better, but that's the gist of it.

And, the rats in the FDA information posted above were given the equivalent of nearly 1000 MG'S of zoloft! The maximum human dose is 200 mg. So the risk is so so so small and is not worth being off the medicine if you need it.

#20 of 40 Old 05-26-2009, 06:18 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
http://books.google.com/books?id=L0l...VqDaYeJhBd45k&

Excerpt from the EDISON GENE by Thom Hartman. Scroll down to page 97 and start reading.

Stress and depression cause cortisol to be released in mom's blood. Check out what THAT does to your developing baby.
I don't see any mention of depression there. I see war zones and hostile environments. I also don't see any mention of the actual amount or threshold of cortisol needed to produce negative, permanent effects on the brain. Contrarily, it goes on to discuss how this "pruning" continues into adolescence.

#21 of 40 Old 05-26-2009, 06:25 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I want to add that Category C is not necessarily dangerous at all.

And, the rats in the FDA information posted above were given the equivalent of nearly 1000 MG'S of zoloft! The maximum human dose is 200 mg. So the risk is so so so small and is not worth being off the medicine if you need it.
Right, that's why I highlighted the part about taking it if the benefits outweigh the risks.

Not exactly on the dosages. It says, "up to." The dosage the rats were given that showed increased risk of stillborn or death right after birth was comparative to only 1 times the maximum recommended dosage.

"These effects occurred at a dose of 20 mg/kg (1 times the MRHD on a mg/m2 basis). The no effect dose for rat pup mortality was 10 mg/kg (0.5 times the MRHD on a mg/m2 basis)."

#22 of 40 Old 05-26-2009, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarineWife View Post
I don't see any mention of depression there. I see war zones and hostile environments. I also don't see any mention of the actual amount or threshold of cortisol needed to produce negative, permanent effects on the brain. Contrarily, it goes on to discuss how this "pruning" continues into adolescence.
yes, but cortisol is cortisol. You release cortisol when you are stressed or depressed and it STAYS in your system and therefore baby's, for days.

I think your choice to go off of zoloft is fine, if it's right for you. But please don't try to say it's not safe when it is. There are many moms here, and in the PPD forum, who need it and take it or have taken it, and they and their babies are fine and wonderful and healthy. It's really a great thing to be able to have if you need it.

I just think you have gotten some bad information (outdated info) and that seems to be common here when people are using certain midwives. SSRI's are very, very safe in pregnancy.

#23 of 40 Old 05-26-2009, 09:07 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
yes, but cortisol is cortisol. You release cortisol when you are stressed or depressed and it STAYS in your system and therefore baby's, for days.

I think your choice to go off of zoloft is fine, if it's right for you. But please don't try to say it's not safe when it is. There are many moms here, and in the PPD forum, who need it and take it or have taken it, and they and their babies are fine and wonderful and healthy. It's really a great thing to be able to have if you need it.

I just think you have gotten some bad information (outdated info) and that seems to be common here when people are using certain midwives. SSRI's are very, very safe in pregnancy.
I never said it wasn't safe. I said it has risks just like anything else and each individual needs to assess for herself if the benefits outweigh the risks. You were yelling at me to not stop taking Zoloft at all. Then when I came back and explained how my doc told me to wean off it, you yelled at me again not to do it that way.

There is almost always cortisol in one's system. There is also a big difference between the amount of cortisol the body produces from mild depression and that from continuous dangerous, threatening situations like being in a war zone or being abused.

The info that I posted is still the official word as far as I can tell. You have still not provided anything to back up your claim that the FDA has changed it from a category C to a category B drug. Just like I don't take a doctor's or a midwife's word without doing my own research, I don't take an opinion posted on a message at face value without doing my own research. I have not come across anything anywhere on the web nor have any of my hcps told me it is a category B drug. I would think that my pdoc would know if an antidepressant had been changed from C to B. Probably an OB would know if a drug was changed from C to B as well. Everything and everyone except you says it's a category C drug. I would hate for someone to continue taking a potentially dangerous drug because some faceless name on a message board said it was safe.

None of my hcps have told me that I should stop taking it. They've all said it was my decision. I have decided to wean off it based on the potential risks. As I have said before, I prefer not to take any risk if I don't think it's necessary.

Sorry but I'm going to have to disagree with you on this unless and until you can give me some actual proof that the category has been changed.

#24 of 40 Old 05-27-2009, 09:52 AM

I think I did. Hale's book. Category B.

Good luck with your decision.

#25 of 40 Old 05-27-2009, 10:10 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I think I did. Hale's book. Category B.

Good luck with your decision.
Not exactly. You quoted Hale's book but you didn't give me a link to a reference that I could read myself. I don't have Hale's book so I can't look it up to confirm. I also don't know the date that your edition was published.

Thanks for the well-wishes. As far as the weaning is going, I'm feeling ok. I'm not getting any of those electrical storms. The only thing I've noticed is that I'm a bit more irritable and short-tempered. Problem is I'm not sure if that is from lowering my dose of Zoloft or hormones from being pg or a combo. I'm going to assume for now that it's at least partially because of the Zoloft. I still have plenty of energy and motivation to get things done and go out and do things. We'll see what happens when I go off it completely in a week.

#26 of 40 Old 05-27-2009, 10:49 AM

Like I said, best wishes. The jolts and stuff and the flulike symptoms and scary dreams and hallucinations might not happen to you, but since you are weaning off pretty quickly, I would be prepared for them. You may run a fever for a day or two, feel achy and like you are getting the flu, have the worst headache ever for a couple of days, be dizzy and nauseous, and really just not be able to function for a few days or more. Once you are off the zoloft completely, the worst stuff will start. Or not. Some people have really bad withdrawals, some don't. Just be ready and don't panic when or if they start. It may be worse because you are pregnant. You may be super nauseous. Just know it will pass.

And, IF you think you need to go back on, please don't be afraid to. Better to be funcional and there for your kids that you already have than to be concerned about a risk that isn't really there.

Oh, and I am pretty sure you can go to any library and look at Hale's book. There is also some group, California Tetragenic or something like that... I'm afraid that might not be even close to the actual name... that you can call and get the latest on drug safety during pregnancy. If anyone here is reading this and you know... please post! I know you might find more help in the Postpartum Depression area on MDC. Lots of moms there have taking zoloft during pregnancy after researching it VERY thoroughly. Me, included!

#27 of 40 Old 05-27-2009, 10:57 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
And, IF you think you need to go back on, please don't be afraid to. Better to be funcional and there for your kids that you already have than to be concerned about a risk that isn't really there.

Oh, and I am pretty sure you can go to any library and look at Hale's book. There is also some group, California Tetragenic or something like that... I'm afraid that might not be even close to the actual name... that you can call and get the latest on drug safety during pregnancy. If anyone here is reading this and you know... please post! I know you might find more help in the Postpartum Depression area on MDC. Lots of moms there have taking zoloft during pregnancy after researching it VERY thoroughly. Me, included!
Yeah, if I start to feel really bad, I will call my pdoc back. I still have an appointment with them in about 2-3 weeks so I can go in and discuss all of this with them some more if needed.

I'll have to check the library here. I live in a pretty small town (once you take out the military community) and the library hasn't had much selection of pregnancy, breastfeeding and such outside the conventional What to Expect crap.

#28 of 40 Old 05-27-2009, 10:58 AM

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...meds+pregnancy
Check out this thread.

Also, check with the Tetragenic hotline (there should be one) in your state. Otherwise, I know Cali has a really good one that has been mentioned here on MDC.

#29 of 40 Old 05-27-2009, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Like I said, best wishes. The jolts and stuff and the flulike symptoms and scary dreams and hallucinations might not happen to you, but since you are weaning off pretty quickly, I would be prepared for them. You may run a fever for a day or two, feel achy and like you are getting the flu, have the worst headache ever for a couple of days, be dizzy and nauseous, and really just not be able to function for a few days or more. Once you are off the zoloft completely, the worst stuff will start. Or not. Some people have really bad withdrawals, some don't. Just be ready and don't panic when or if they start. It may be worse because you are pregnant. You may be super nauseous. Just know it will pass.

The bolded part is why I won't take the zoloft the dr's tried to give me. If the possibility exists it can do that to me(and effexor already did years ago, it's horrible) I wouldn't take the chance of inflicting that on my newborn. Just my own personal opinion & .02.

http://www.kellymom.com/health/meds/...02.html#Zoloft

Quote:
Zoloft is the "best drug choice so far". It has a low, low transfer rate to breastmilk (17-173 ug/liter) in mothers taking up to 150 mg/day. In one excellent study of 11 mother/infant pairs, the zoloft was undetectable in 7 of the 11 breastfeeding infants' serum and minimal in the other infants. In two other studies of one and three mother/infant pairs respectively, zoloft was undetectable in the plasma of all 4 infants. A theoretical concern with Zoloft is that some babies may not gain weight as rapidly or as well when breastfed by moms on Zoloft; so weight gain should be monitored and dosage tweaked as necessary.
11 babies? I'm not finding any extensive studies yet by this man on the subject. I'll see if my library has this book you linked although that particular one is 6 y/o.

Sahm to 2 girls (17 & 15)& Cody (7/09).
#30 of 40 Old 05-27-2009, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlaC View Post
The bolded part is why I won't take the zoloft the dr's tried to give me. If the possibility exists it can do that to me(and effexor already did years ago, it's horrible) I wouldn't take the chance of inflicting that on my newborn. Just my own personal opinion & .02.

http://www.kellymom.com/health/meds/...02.html#Zoloft

11 babies? I'm not finding any extensive studies yet by this man on the subject. I'll see if my library has this book you linked although that particular one is 6 y/o.
The book I have is only 2 years old.

The transfer to milk in nondetectable. And as far as weight gain... my ds was born weighing 10 lbs and has been gaining weight so fast! I went off zoloft about 3 months ago, with a very slow wean, and I had hardly any withdrawal and of course my ds had none. It's a small price to pay to be able to function.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page