Can you share SSRIs success stories? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-26-2009, 06:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello Everybody!

Can you please share SSRIs success stories with me?

I'm sorry, my english is very limited, i can read it and understand, but to form phrases is really difficult, i hope you understand.

Ive been dealing with anxiety a lot of time, i cant handle it anymore, and now I'm depressed because i have two beautiful toddlers, and they don't deserve a mother like this, always tired because of the insomnia and anxiety.

i want to be happy and free again, not inside this misery.

I have an appointment for 18/nov in psychiatry, and i know ill get an ssri and maybe xanax or something like that.

The doc always gave me ssris and xanax but I'm really afraid to take them, I'm afraid of getting worse, or stop taking care of my babies, or getting really crazy, or not sleeping at all, or want to sleep all the time, I'm really afraid...

I've tried acupuncture, homeopathy, 5htp, st johns wort, etc, and nothing really seem to really help.

The most precious and important things for me are my babies, i want to be anxiety and panic free for them, they deserve a better mommy, that's why I'm decided to accept taking antidepressant drugs, but I'm really really afraid
and for the xanax i dont want to become a drug addict, is enough with me smoking all the time.

Help me.

thanks...

oh I thing my biggest problem is the insomnia, thats what causes me to panic and the next day anxiety, i thing thats the root of my problems, the night has become my worst enemy, so maybe only taking sleeping pills will help? or are they much worse?

Sorry, i know they are a lot of questions but i need to know and no one around with experiences who can help.

than you very much
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-26-2009, 09:16 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I took zoloft while nursing my ds1, then through pregnancy with ds2, and nursing him. He is still nursing, but I weaned off of the zoloft after 2 years.

It was great. I am very glad I took the meds. I needed them, and they did their job. I am actually considering taking them again during the cold months, because they help me when there is less sun outside. I have anxiety and OCD which goes along with trouble sleeping.

There is nothing to worry about taking an ssri. If you need it, please go ahead and take it.

You may have some insomnia when you start taking it, or you may feel sleepier. You may feel nauseous and you may have some diarrhea. You may have more anxiety initially. But this will all go away in less than a couple of weeks. You may have a headache initially, too, but this is rare.

None of these things are anything to worry about, they are just your body adjusting to the meds. They will go away.

Once you adjust, you will notice that you are able to relax at night. You can fall asleep. You can smile.

The biggest thing I noticed was that my kids smiled more. Why? Because I WAS SMILING AT THEM. If you think you need meds, you probably do, and they will help. They help more with therapy, though, so try that, too.

Mom to two beautiful boys, now in school to be a therapist and help other women with PPD.  

Old 10-27-2009, 12:39 AM

When I was 20 I was nuts. I had anxiety and depression, and was making everyone around me miserable.

I really, truly thought my life was terrible and not worth living.

I was prescribed paxil. It did make me feel very tired at first, but after a few weeks on it, I was totally amazed. Things would happen, that I would have previously thought was just more evidence that 'the world hates me', but once I was on paxil, it was like I could just understand that sometimes things don't work out the way I want them to, and I would just deal with everything the best and I can, and that is the most anyone can expect of me.

Honestly, being on an SSRI was experiencing peace for the first time in a long, long time. I didn't feel crazy anymore!

I took it for 5 or 6 years. It was hard to wean of without the anxiety coming back. But you know what, it taught me how to think 'normal'. It taught me how to handle hard stuff without flipping out. It was like it slowed down the anxiety. For me is was a life saver.

And I have been off of it for 7 years and feel totally normal and healthy and happy now.
Old 10-28-2009, 12:15 AM

I swear by lexapro! It completely changed me after my second son was born. I got to sleep much more deeply so I was rested for my boys. It really flipped a switch inside me and finally let me see me again. Just amazing!!! Good Luck!!!

User Tag List