natural mamas who choose meds? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 43 Old 01-31-2010, 12:55 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
subbing. I am very anti-medication, but I'm almost 2 years into this latest depression and I find lately that I don't have the energy to remember to take supplements, exercise, take care of myself, etc. I'm even having a really hard time getting motivated to get an appointment with my GP for a referral to counselling or a prescription...and I echo all the others about it affecting my ability to parent.
#32 of 43 Old 01-31-2010, 01:05 AM

I lasted about 3 months on prozac. Parts of it were really wonderful. I had tons of energy--I got LOTS done and tackled a huge project. I also lost my social anxiety and felt like having people over and doing more things with people. There was a bit of a feeling of being wound up--but it was refreshing.

Unfortunately, it seemed to have some weird effects on muscle tension in my body. Neck pain and stuff. When I would see my chiro (who does network) my body wouldn't drop the tension like it normally does.

I had no problems getting off of it. Felt great for the next three weeks. Then got my period and saw MAJOR shifts in mood and energy. A week later, I feel decent but not as project oriented as I was on it. But I'm not all teary and sad over little stuff.

Not sure what I want to do...
#33 of 43 Old 02-02-2010, 12:12 PM

LOVE this post -- don't have time to write much but to keep it brief:

I too, am not super duper crunchy but I still consider myself a "natural" momma most days. I've been having issues with anxiety as long as I can remember, and as a teenager went through a slew of medications that left me with really awful side effects [weight gain, horrible withdrawl, etc..] for awhile I was off all medications and was miserable, just couldn't deal with life.

I found a great doctor when DD was born and now I take Zoloft [200mg] and it's like a miracle. I can function, deal with most anything, and love my life 90% of the time. So yes, I'm going to keep taking it because it's what makes me a better mother/wife/friend/daughter.

blogging.jpg    fambedsingle2.gif  homebirth.jpg  read.gif  happy momma to DD 8/07 and DS 6/10
#34 of 43 Old 02-02-2010, 04:08 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oh the Irony View Post
Unfortunately, it seemed to have some weird effects on muscle tension in my body. Neck pain and stuff. When I would see my chiro (who does network) my body wouldn't drop the tension like it normally does.
I had this too. But after awhile it went away. I notice it returns for a few days when I change my dosage. Most recently it really helped to go get a massage, and place warm rice socks on my neck.

Best wishes figuring it out for yourself.

wash.gif  Me  + bikenew.gif Dh =  broc1.gif  Dd1(9 yrs) + hearts.gif  Dd2(6 yrs) and blowkiss.gif Ds(3.5 yrs)
#35 of 43 Old 02-02-2010, 06:23 PM

This describes me, but I think I would have done well off medication with therapy and more support in my case. Unforunately I don't know when, if ever, I will get off these things. I hate them. I don't do poorly on them, but I did well for a long time without them.

fambedsingle2.gifnovaxnocirc.gifHappy to be a mommy and teacher to D fencing.gif, born 1-17-06 via waterbirth.jpg  and A  blahblah.gif, born 10-6-08 with a homebirth.jpghomeschool.gif

#36 of 43 Old 02-11-2010, 08:30 PM

I have had depression off and on since I was a teenager, possibly even since childhood, though since I had a fairly rough time with my physically and emotionally abusive parents, it's hard to say if I would've been chemically depressed as a child in a "normal" loving family.

I've tried Prozac (which made me extremely violent and full of rage, which is totally not me!!!), Paxil (worked pretty well, but with terrible sexual side effects), and Wellbutrin (didn't work too well for me), along with a few other things here and there that didn't work.

I have been resistant to taking meds since my son was born, especially since I developed some anxiety and the med that worked best for me before (Paxil) made me feel even more anxious, to the point where I thought I needed to go to the hospital! I was afraid to take the anti-anxiety meds they prescribed because they are addictive, and that's the LAST thing I need going on in my life!

I also tried a lot of different herbal treatments, like 5HTP, high EPA Omega 3s, GABA, and the like, but nothing seemed to offer dramatic improvement.

In desperation, I tried acupuncture. I didn't even really believe in it, but I had read some studies online that it was as effective as standard anti-depressants in treating depression. It completely helped! I've been going off and on for the last two years, and though I've definitely had my down days or weeks, it hasn't been the crushing depression I've had in years past. I really believe the acupuncture has been a MAJOR help for my depression. My anxiety (which was something I'd never had in the past, but cropped up after a serious surgery I had to have) disappeared completely. Thank GOD. I found the anxiety a hundred times worse than the depression, and that's saying something!

I also had dialectical behavioral therapy (DBT) several years before I became a mom and found that very helpful. DBT was originally developed for borderline personality disorder, but then they modified it to treat other mental health conditions, like depression and anxiety. I found it extremely helpful as it teaches you to deal with your emotions and accept them without wallowing in them. Prior to trying acupuncture, DBT was my favorite thing I had tried for depression.

Now I am a huge fan of acupuncture and really recommend that everyone try it! Unless you are in a small town, most places have clinics that offer sliding scale treatment. I go to a college that offers treatments for $22 for an hour, which is fairly affordable. That's the full rate and they do sliding scale treatments at an even lower rate.

All that said, I know some people really need medication and do well on it. I personally hate being on medication because for me it's always had lots of side effects, and I also always feel like I am weak, even though intellectually, I think that's dumb and I don't feel like that about other people taking meds! We are always the hardest on ourselves.

On another note, my son has had serious behavioral problems since he was very young, and he has been prescribed Risperdal. I am very reluctant to give this to him. It was scary enough for me to take medications and feel some of the bizarre and troubling side effects (shaking, teeth chattering, "zaps," feeling "out of it"), but I am an adult and I can articulate what's going on, whereas he can't do that as well. I wish I could take my son for acupuncture, but I know he'd find it painful and scary. (I even think it hurts, but it's worth it!) I wish there were some better alternative options for kids.
#37 of 43 Old 02-14-2010, 03:32 AM

I REALLY struggled with this topic for a long, long time (while trying every "natural" remedy under the sun) before I was finally so miserable that I gave up and took them. It was only out of pure misery and fear for the worst that I was able to do it. But after that... I realised that there is NO reason why I have to be miserable, and it is perfectly okay to accept help. I would have done myself and my family a huge disservice by stubbornly ignoring my need for further help.

That said, they are not a magical cure-all ignore button, but I think if we are caring for ourselves to the best of our ability and that is not enough, then that's what they are there for. I am a healthier person for it in so many ways.

Part of me just hates talking about it with people, because it's literally impossible for someone to understand unless they've been in those shoes, but at the same time I am very open about it anyway. It's so important for people to know that they are not alone, that it's okay to accept help; or for the person that doesn't know this pain first hand, that it's not their place to judge. Yes, all of us on this board have an interest in being natural and making educated decisions, etc, but just like everything else, there is a balance. We all also deserve peace.

Weirdo Mama to amazing Aurelia, age 9 & Ember Roslyn, age 3!
#38 of 43 Old 02-14-2010, 03:41 AM

I read some more of the responses, and I gotta say, I love this thread. This stuff is important. Thanks to all that shared.

One component that I forgot to mention that was also an important factor to me...
I have some rather extreme mental illnesses in my family, and there's no denying the genetic predisposition. I figure if it takes one pill a day to keep me functional and fairly well-adjusted, then I'm still pretty lucky. Again, we all gotta do what we gotta do. We can't control the hand we're dealt, but we can do our best with who we are inside, and what we have to work with.

Weirdo Mama to amazing Aurelia, age 9 & Ember Roslyn, age 3!
#39 of 43 Old 02-20-2010, 10:41 PM

I was dx'd with severe complex PTSD with panic/anxiety and self mutilation issues about a year ago. I had known for a long time that I had "issues" in my life but I had been able to handle them for the most part up until last yr. I am a survivor of childhood physical/emotional and suspected sexual abuse as well as married for 14yrs to a chronic abuser. (working towards freedom in that aspect of my life).

I am very anti medication and taking anything scares me, even a Tylenol. Im the type of person who would suffer a migraine rather than take something for it, but that goes along with my anxiety... I have 6 children and am due with my 7th on 5/16/10 and dont want my kids to have to see their mama doped up and "out of it", but nor do I feel that they should have to see me all strung out and having "episodes".

To make a long story short my Psychiatrist put me on several different meds and most have helped. Lorazepam, klonopin, zoloft, prazsosin(for insomnia) and he reccomended seroquel and paxil but I declined on those 2. I took myself off of everything when I discovered I was expecting #7. I am really surprised at how well I am doing. Some women's hormones seem to go wacky when they are preg, but for me I fell completely normal. I am not sure how things will be after the birth (I am sooo afraid of PPD hitting me) and I know 100% that I will be nursing so I plan on just taking it easy and seeing how things go.

I felt really bad about having to turn to meds to deal with my issues, it made me feel like a failure that I couldnt handle it on my own but I am at peace with it now. I will do whatever I need to do to to be the best motherI can, and hopefully in time, I will no longer need them.

Blessings to All. I know what a hard road this is to travel.

SAHM Wiccan mama to 4boys, 3girls and 3 angels.
UC/UP/EBF/AP/CD/BW, Waterbirthing, Homeschooling, no circ, no vax.
Expecting #8 on Dec 6th, 2011

#40 of 43 Old 04-25-2010, 10:41 PM

still mulling this over. Things are getting worse for me, not better and I'm still having a lot of trouble reaching out. I have identified what it is that is bringing me down. My job, at least I'm pretty sure. But since I really can't fix that and it is affecting my ability to cope on many levels, I think medication might help temporarily...not sure what to try though...and scared of talking to my GP
#41 of 43 Old 05-07-2010, 12:09 PM

Proudmama, many

It is scary at first, but your GP, if a good one, will support you and help you work through your fears and help you try stuff. I had a wonderful nurse practitioner who let me try everything to treat my issues as hormones, even calling her brother who was a pharmacist to try to track down prometrium for me. I had to accept my issue was not hormonal, but she gave me the space to work through that. Then she was able to have my ear fully to what she thought would be a good idea to try. We started and at a certain point she was honest and said we were moving outside her comfort zone for treatment and she referred me to a good care provider who could do more tinkering. I have serious mental illness though, I just wasn't aware how sick I was. I wasn't woh, I was sah on the couch.

Now, I am really doing very well! I am on meds, but because of the work I did to get the cocktail right, I have the energy and drive to eat and feed my kids the diet I want us to have. I can keep my house clean. I feel successful. I wish I had sought meds sooner. Now that I am stable and feeling well, I can work back in the other direction, healing my gut which is likely what is causing a lot of my problems and perhaps in a few years I will be able to wean off my meds.

Many people with far less illness find that six months of an antidepressant or anti-anxiety med will get them over the hump to a point where they can manage without meds.

Heather, mama to Harriet, Crispin, in with Tom and 2
#42 of 43 Old 05-07-2010, 03:03 PM

Thanks so much Heather, that is a very encouraging experience--great to hear you have improved so much.
I have seen my GP who was supportive, encouraged me to get a full physical & blood tests (which revealed low iron & vitamin D) and also to seek counselling & come back and talk to her again if things don't improve in a month or so. I am waiting for an appointment with a psychologist for myself--hopefully next week sometime. So I am at least feeling positive that I have a plan now, and some way to move forward.
#43 of 43 Old 05-08-2010, 05:53 PM

That's great proudmama! Sounds like you have a good care provider. There are so many things that can cause us to feel off and the symptoms can feel daunting. I keep reading how critical vitamin D is and how vastly common it is for people to be low. Did she specify D3? I guess that's much easier for our bodies to use. Also, the FDA is reconsidering upping their recommended daily allowance, and we all know those are generally on the low side. From what I have been reading, 10,000 is good for folks that are low. Same with the iron, some forms are much easier for us to absorb and others are highly constipating. I wish I had some good links to share, but I bet there are some good threads here in the nutrition forum.

Heather, mama to Harriet, Crispin, in with Tom and 2

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page