Treating depression while pregnant - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 11-11-2009, 02:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So after a very scary couple of hours last week, I decided I really needed help ASAP. I got in with a great therapist last night who not only gave me some helping tools, but also officially diagnosed me as "Moderate to Severely Depressed" based on the Beck Test. She can't prescribe meds, so I have a call in with my PCP to see what he'll recommend. I am not against meds as long as they help me not want to kill myself. But being pregnant means that some meds will be off limits. Does anyone know what meds are safe for pregnancy?

I will also be getting a treadmill soon to facilitate some exercise for me without having to bundle everyone up to go walking. Plus, this will be helpful when new baby arrives and I can walk while he sleeps and my older son watches a tv show. Has anyone had success in treating depression with exercise?

Thank you!

Mama of three.

#2 of 8 Old 11-12-2009, 11:47 AM

(((hugs))) depression while pregnant is TOUGH. I can't offer much advice medication wise, I suffered but didn't take anything until after our last was born. Then I was taking Wellbutrin XR but found that it wasn't a good drug for me, despite being okay while BFing. Not sure what is safe while preg though. Best to talk to your PCP. (((HUGS)))

Proud mama to DD#1 (11) DS (4) and DD#2 ( 2 )
#3 of 8 Old 11-13-2009, 01:57 PM - Thread Starter

I have an appt with my midwife today to discuss it. My PCP didn't want to take any risks and referred me to a perinatologist, but I'm going to see what the midwife thinks first. It's a hospital based practice so there are OBs who would be willing to give me something.

Mama of three.

#4 of 8 Old 11-13-2009, 03:01 PM

(((hugs)))

I believe Wellbutrin is the antidepressant of choice while pregnant. I've been on Zoloft for both of my pregnancies. It has been very well studied, and there are some small risks, but it was worth it for me not to put my mental state at risk by switching to a different med that I had never tried. It is a class B drug I believe, so still not extremely risky. For severe depression, the slight risks of drugs like Zoloft and Prozac are probably worth the benefits.

I hope you find some relief soon. I don't have experience with exercise for treating depression, but it's one of those things that can't hurt and will probably help.

Good luck!

A, jammin.gif mama to a boy (2005) and a girl (2009)
#5 of 8 Old 11-14-2009, 12:50 AM

I have two beautiful children who were gestated while on Zoloft, so it worked well for me! I was also on Wellbutrin for a short while during the first one, but stopped near the end of pregnancy.

Anyway, a colleague of mine has an incredible website. He's an all-around great guy and an amazing psychiatrist. He has a great push for exercise, and the information will probably translate to pregnant people, as well. Here's the bit on exercise and mood:

http://www.psycheducation.org/hormon...n/exercise.htm
#6 of 8 Old 11-15-2009, 12:43 PM

I was just prescribed Lexapro. I had been on Paxil previously, and also on it while pregnant with my first child, but then a new study came out that showed a very small risk of a certain birth defect. My dr prescribed Lexapro when I told her we were possibly going to ttc.

I have had some results with exercise alone, but it was a lot of exercise, like running 4 miles every day, with a longer (6-10 mile) run on the weekend. It's been a long time since I had the time and energy to devote to exercise.

Have you considered light therapy?

lady.gif mama to H. 4/05 and A. 9/08 and baby C. 10/11

#7 of 8 Old 11-17-2009, 03:39 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
You might want to check out the postpartum depression forum--lots of discussion there about depression while pregnant.

I chose not to take drugs while pregnant because I had such nausea and dizziness when taking an anti-depressant another time and I already had those symptoms pretty badly with the pregnancy....for me it depends on how much the depression is interfering with my life to decide if it is worth the side effects, which also interfere with life.

My best non-drug combat with depression is outdoor exercise. A daily outdoor walk, 45-60 min, does me a world of good. If you have to exercise indoors, get some light therapy going at the same time.

When my depression was worst, it was January and the temp was -30 F and colder almost every day. In February we started to have some warmer days. I would go walking outside EVERY day that the temp was above 0 and it was like a miracle--I would have an awesome day every day that I walked. When it was too cold, I would use a light box inside and try to get indoor exercise....but it just didn't give me the same lift.

Anyway, good luck! s
#8 of 8 Old 11-30-2009, 05:02 PM

Quote:
My best non-drug combat with depression is outdoor exercise. A daily outdoor walk, 45-60 min, does me a world of good. If you have to exercise indoors, get some light therapy going at the same time.

DS1 Dec 2009 fuzmalesling.gif DZ Twins July 2012 babyboy.gifbabygirl.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page