Any advice for dd's SSI psych eval appt? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-24-2009, 02:03 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
I received a letter today from SSI that they want dd to have a mental exam by one of their Dr's. They said to expect it to take 2+ hours. Any advice on what to expect? What will be discussed exactly? Will it really take 2 hours? Will they decide nothing is wrong if dd is acting normal? This is a major fear, she can hold it together for several hours then explodes as soon as were out of there.

Her current psych dx's are Bipolar 1, ADHD, ODD and I know I'm missing one.

I'm also worried about the fact that while she's done fantastic this past month, she's been more stable and "normal" this past month on the vitamins to the point we've spent the past 3 weeks weaning off Risperdal which she was on for severe aggression. We take the last dose tomorrow and I'm not really worried. Before the vitamins even dropping down .25 to .75 caused her to start acting out aggressively within 48 hours. She's also been off the clonidine for about a month with no problems.

The BP is an issue yes but her immune def issues cause us far more grief since I can't just send her to school/daycare while I get a job so if it takes her qualifying under mental health then so be it but we need a way to pay the bills.

Seriously?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-24-2009, 05:24 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I don't have any advice but wanted to offer lots of (((hugs))) and many good thoughts coming your way for the visit.

Proud mama to DD#1 (11) DS (4) and DD#2 ( 2 )
Old 12-01-2009, 12:35 PM

Hey, just checking in to see how this went and how you guys are doing?

Old 12-01-2009, 03:56 PM - Thread Starter

Were doing good behavior wise The appt isn't until the 15th so we have a few more weeks.

Seriously?
Old 12-03-2009, 06:20 PM

Glad that things are good with the behavior! Keep us posted once you have the appt

Old 01-16-2010, 08:49 PM - Thread Starter

Well I was kinda miffed when they moved the date out a month due to scheduling issues and I was even more miffed when we showed up today actually early for our 9am appt. Turns out someone else was there to see the same Dr at 9am as well. At 9:45am were both getting irritated at being kept so long and talked to the receptionist and the Dr doesn't even get there until 10am and the receptionist got an attitude with me when I wasn't happy about it.

I told the Dr and she got irritated with the lady, guess she's told them before not to schedule patients before 10am and they did it without her permission.

Anyway, all the delays worked in our favor, things have been getting more umm, difficult with dd the past couple of weeks to the point I'm ready to have her move back to my moms for a while. pdoc won't order a change of meds until he see's her which was in March but her case manager got her moved to Feb 1st. (interesting to notice was she's following the same pattern from last years nightmare that got her the BP1 dx in Feb.) Anyway by the time we got back into the room with the Dr she just couldn't hold it together anymore and the Dr got to see her totally doing the BP thing, moods were shifting almost minute to minute, total mixed state. One second she's smiling and happy the next she was snarling (literally) at her sister in aggression. Happily bragged about trashing the house, not doing school work and hitting/kicking her sister. I didn't have to say much to the Dr, dd was more then happy to tell her how she acts and discussed hearing voices and stuff. Dr was more then happy to discuss new med options right then to bring up with her pdoc and that she was totally unstable and needed a meds change.

Best of all, she said "I see no reason why she would not qualify for SSI"

So, hoping we get approved since the SSI Dr is in our corner it appears and her pdocs records (3-4 years worth) say the same stuff that they saw today at the interview and have her listed as severe.

So, now we wait, SSI said it would be about 2 weeks after this appt before we hear anything.

Seriously?

User Tag List