Wellbutrin side effects - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 12-09-2009, 11:42 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
TMI alert. But I need help.

I have been on Wellbutrin now for almost a year. It helps my depression/anxiety but a very unfortunate side effect has now occurred Something called Genital Anesthesia. I have little to no sensation of my genitals specifically my clitoris. I am unable to climax 98% of the time and the other 2% the climax is so weak it dosnt even count. It honestly feels like it is numb and no matter what I do the sensation is not there.

I wasnt sure what was going on since I am having other health issues but I did a google search and now I am sure the Wellbutrin is the problem. I NEED meds for my depression but I cant handle this so I am going to wean off the Wellbutrin over the next week or so.

I have no idea where to go from here. I dont want to fall back into that pit of depression but every single anti d out there has sexual side effects it seems.

I took zoloft in the past for ppd but it killed my libido (didnt affect physical sensation though) so maybe I will try that one again.

I dont know exactly what I hope to gain from posting but I needed to talk about it somewhere.

If anyone knows an anti d that dosnt have sexual side effects I would love to know about it.

SAHMlady.gifread.giflovin' trekkie.giffan intactivist.gifwinner.jpg to loveeyes.gifenergy.gifDD 10/00 & superhero.gifmoon.gifDS 10/04 ribbonpb.gifIf your ds is intact, keep him safe, visit the Case Against Circ forumnocirc.gifCirc, a personal choice, Your sonsyes.gifbrokenheart.gif11/98brokenheart.gif6/99ribbonbrown.gifanti-tobaccoribbonyellow.gifThyroid cancer survivor. With cat.gif& goldfish.gif & (Boxer)dog2.gif wishing 4 whale.gif&ribbonwhite.gifsigncirc1.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 11 Old 12-09-2009, 05:41 PM

From what I have read, Wellbutrin is the one marketed to have the least sexual side-effects, which may be because it doesn't target serotonin, like all the others do.

It's always a gamble orgasm and depressed or no orgasm and happy. The way I figure it, anorgasmia only effects me, but my depression affects the whole family. So I am staying on the Wellbutrin because I see no alternative.

I am on wellburtin, and cannot achieve orgasm. I switched from Lexpro about a month ago, specifically to address the sexual side effects. For me, even though i can't orgasm, I have much MORE sensation than before.

Maybe you could try a smaller dose?

Jennifer- wife and mom, dreaming of country living
#3 of 11 Old 12-09-2009, 06:21 PM

Please talk to your Dr, there are so many alternatives. I cannot remember specific names, but there are several drugs you can try that may not affect you like the Wellbutrin.

You sort of have to be willing to experiment to find something that will work. It's rough.
#4 of 11 Old 12-09-2009, 06:25 PM - Thread Starter

I think I am on the least dose not sure though. The bottle says 150mg so I bet that isnt the lowest dose.

If I could feel any pleasure at all it I maybe could handle it but I have nothing or near nothing. Dh is a mess because he cant help me

With this going on now I am as depressed as I was before starting the Wellbutrin so it is really worthless to continue taking it since I am so miserable.

The Dr. I have now isnt much for talking about sexual issues at my appt. Monday (for high bp) I mentioned my loss of sensation down there and she didnt even blink or ask questions. I am going back in 2 weeks to have a mole removed and I will try to get her to talk to me then but I dont hold out much hope.

I badly need a new Dr.

I will ask to try zoloft again even though I have decreased libido on it I can still climax on it. I am terrified that even if I go off the wellbutrin the loss of sensation will be permanent.

SAHMlady.gifread.giflovin' trekkie.giffan intactivist.gifwinner.jpg to loveeyes.gifenergy.gifDD 10/00 & superhero.gifmoon.gifDS 10/04 ribbonpb.gifIf your ds is intact, keep him safe, visit the Case Against Circ forumnocirc.gifCirc, a personal choice, Your sonsyes.gifbrokenheart.gif11/98brokenheart.gif6/99ribbonbrown.gifanti-tobaccoribbonyellow.gifThyroid cancer survivor. With cat.gif& goldfish.gif & (Boxer)dog2.gif wishing 4 whale.gif&ribbonwhite.gifsigncirc1.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif

#5 of 11 Old 12-09-2009, 09:37 PM

It sounds like you are seeing a regular doctor. Have you considered seeing a psychiatrist? They may be more willing to speak to you specifically on your medication for depression.

You know, switching back to zoloft may be an option. At least you'll have a reward at the end. YOu may just have to schedule sex with your DH, and look forward to the ending.

Jennifer- wife and mom, dreaming of country living
#6 of 11 Old 12-09-2009, 09:52 PM - Thread Starter

Yes regular Dr. never seen a psychiatrist have thought about it but I have read so many stories of them not really helping I never worked up the nerve to try.

#7 of 11 Old 12-09-2009, 10:14 PM

I take lexapro for depression/anxiety and had only very mild sexual side effects for the first couple of months. I would definitely look into either switching meds or changing the dose. After all, a satisfying sex life can also be a great help for those suffering from anxiety!
#8 of 11 Old 12-09-2009, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCatLvrMom2A&X View Post
Yes regular Dr. never seen a psychiatrist have thought about it but I have read so many stories of them not really helping I never worked up the nerve to try.
Psychiatrists are your #1 stop if you're on meds. Regular MD's just don't have the experience and knowledge and honestly IME they tend to poo poo women's feelings and not take them seriously. Especially mental health stuff.

This is quality of life here, you have a right to get the facts and have choices. A psychiatrist would definitely be open to different options for meds and would also be very interested in helping you find the right fit.

#9 of 11 Old 12-09-2009, 10:48 PM

I've been on Lexapro (40mg) and Wellbutrin XL (300mg) for about a year now, and I know exactly what you are talking about.

I noticed the numbing as I went up in dosage when I was just on Lex. At 10mg, there were no sexual side effects. At 20mg there were no sexual side effects. At 30mg, I started to notice a difference, but I could still orgasm- but it would take a lot more work than usual to get there. At 40 mg, I felt pretty much nothing.

All the while, my symptoms of depression were coming and going (which was better than being there all the time, but still), so my psychiatrist added Wellbutrin XL- at first 150mg, then 300mg, which is a typical dose.

The genital numbness got somewhat better, but over time. It honestly didn't bother me so much back then because after having such severe depression and anxiety, I was just so relieved to be feeling like a normal, happy human being again.

I've come to accept the fact that I'm just not having what I used to have, which was pretty great. My pdoc has really encouraged me to tweak things however- his take is that sexual side effects are one of the main reasons that people self-discontinue their meds over time, and he really doesn't like seeing that happen because the risk of depressive symptoms returning is pretty high.

We tried yohimbine. Honestly it was a pain because you have to take it 3x a day, and even still, it didn't make a difference.

Next he suggested Mirapex. I was (and still am) really hesitant because it hits neurotransmitters, and I have been doing so well in every other way that I'm afraid to stir the pot. Months later, I would have considered it, but my husband announced to me 2.5 weeks ago that he can't stay in our marriage anymore, so, so much for my sex life anyways. I'm just going to leave things be for awhile I think.

Anyhow, all that to say that my pdoc feels strongly that there are many, many options to look at when it comes to getting rid of this side effect. You may have to try a bunch of different things. I only tried 2, but there are many more. And over time, it has gotten better- though not to the level of my pre-meds days.

But DEFINITELY go to a psychiatrist. They know worlds more than regular gp's do. Don't be afraid. Mine has been a godsend and going to him was the single best thing I ever did for my mental health.

Let us know how it goes!

Happy single mama of Girlchild (10) and Boychild (9).
#10 of 11 Old 12-15-2009, 07:55 PM - Thread Starter

I decided to wean off wellbutrin since the side effect I was having made me depressed anyway so there was no point. I am taking it very slowly and will take me a month probably to wean all the way off it. I am going to try st. john's wort for the depression/anxiety since it is a relatively safe herb from the reading I have done. I am going to take damiana for libido.

I am thrilled to say that the feeling has come back for the most part though I am still have trouble sometimes. But if I keep improving that will be behind me soon.

I am also going on vitex to get my cycles regulated again and that should even out my hormones and help with some of the depression.

If I need to I will try another prescription anti d but I have high hopes for the St. John's Wort.

#11 of 11 Old 03-11-2014, 01:59 PM

Do you have an update on your condition? I hope you are feeling normal, or at least more normal, now. I am male but have been experiencing genital numbness about three weeks after starting bupropion (Wellbutrin generic). I've also come off an SSRI (citalopram) but have only started experiencing the numbness within the last couple of weeks. I'm curious if you've been getting better since your last post. 

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page