good decision? i dont want to become addicted..HELP? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 12-29-2009, 04:06 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
my doctor diagnosed me with depression with anxiety about 2 weeks ago. she put me on a medicine Lexapro, which she said was very good with yourger people. she gave me only a 7 day trial pack to see how i would do then a week after i went back and spoke with her, i was feeling good the only thing was i had to clench my teeth together constantly. what i failed to mention at that time was that 2 of the 6 days i felt like i NEEDED to take more pills. and i had been shaking with that feeling. it scared me but when i went it had totally slipped my mind, how i dont know. but so i left there with a prescription for a generic version of the med. which on the paper said WARNING: MAY CAUSE ADDICTION.
can anyone say WOW?
so i had consulted my boyfriend because i still had a day left on my trial pack so i was set for another day. and we discussed it and with my families history of adiction i just cant risk any type of drug addiction weather it be prescribed or not.
now ive been ok for the last week without the meds. and my doctor is supposed to call me tomorrow to see how im feeling and at this point i will fill her in. but was this a good idea?
my mouth is hurting from having to clench it so much, and i dont want to have to rely on a pill to make me happy. i dont have insurance so i cant pay for therapy which would really make me happy since thats what i want to do.
but with my condition, ive cut myself and wanted to die so many times, is it safe to be off the med. just in case this came up again? which hasnt so much since ive had my son and i would never hurt him i hope nobody thinks that. but should i really get back on it?
im still very confused.

proud teen mama to an active 3yo boy..
#2 of 12 Old 12-29-2009, 05:03 AM

The tooth clenching alone would be enough to make me go off the med. I'm not sure about Lexapro, but in other psych meds that can be a sign of a potentially dangerous reaction.

Unfortunately most psych meds come with the potential for addiction or dependency. Many are not labeled as such, but if you look on the web you'll find many stories of people with withdrawals trying to go off them. It does tend to be a bit different for some of the drugs- they aren't addictive per se, but the withdrawals are so bad that some people simply cannot go off them.

You say you really want counseling- many areas offer free or low cost counseling options. I know in my relatively small town we have one publicly funded program that provides free or sliding scale counseling and other psych services to all residents. We also have a privately funded center that offers free and low cost counseling. I happened upon both programs by chance, but you might be able to find something by asking around- call your doctor and ask, the local health department, the hospital etc.

You might also find peer support groups in your area- in my town there is the Mental Health Association, NAMI, and DBSA. Even if group aren't really your thing (they're not mine) The people running the groups often know of community resources for free or low cost counseling. Try calling the contact number and asking. If you're up for it, go to a meeting or two and see if the group members have ideas as well - where I live its open attendance, newcomers are welcome and there's no obligation.

Finally, try calling counselors in town. Many do offer sliding scale options, even if they don't advertise it. If they don't, or their fees are still to high, they may well be able to refer you to other local resources within your means.

In most places the programs do exist, its just hard to find them at first. I've taken advantage of free and low cost services in my community, and have found them to be just as high quality for the most part as those I recieved when insured. Don't give up!
#3 of 12 Old 12-29-2009, 01:11 PM

My personal opinion (so please take it as that) is that most people with single episodes of depression, esp when triggered by some life event, can deal without meds. It's longer and harder on everyone involved, but it can be done.

If your doctor thinks you have a major depressive disorder, then you probably need to take some time to evaluate the meds.

Lexapro shouldn't make you feel completely better in 6 days. It hasn't even started to build up in your system. The desire for "more" could be your body indicating that you need a higher dose, or it could be an indicator of addiction, though I really think that's unlikely given you took it less than a week. That's something you have to consider, but I would mention it to my doctor.

Is the teeth clenching related? If you only took Lexapro for 6 days, you shouldn't still be having side effects from it.

I'm also a cutter. My experience is that it doesn't indicate suicidal tendencies (the general belief in the psych community as well) and that it does indicate problems you need to solve. There are options other than therapy if you want to consider them. (I'm not big on traditional therapy.) There also are community mental health centers where you can go w/o insurance if you want to explore that route. Discuss it with your doctor, and I'm sure she can give you some resources to research.

It's us: DH , DS ; DD ; and me . Also there's the . And the 3 . I . Oh, and .
#4 of 12 Old 12-30-2009, 01:19 AM - Thread Starter

well i spoke to my doctor today.
she told me not to fill the med. and to just go through with the therapy, thanks for the advice about the free and low cost places im looking that up right after i write this! =)
the teeth clenching did stop 2 days after i stopped the meds. so thats great!
im hopeing things go good with the therapy..
cross your fingers..

#5 of 12 Old 12-30-2009, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandiRhoades View Post
My personal opinion (so please take it as that) is that most people with single episodes of depression, esp when triggered by some life event, can deal without meds. It's longer and harder on everyone involved, but it can be done.

If your doctor thinks you have a major depressive disorder, then you probably need to take some time to evaluate the meds.

Lexapro shouldn't make you feel completely better in 6 days. It hasn't even started to build up in your system. The desire for "more" could be your body indicating that you need a higher dose, or it could be an indicator of addiction, though I really think that's unlikely given you took it less than a week. That's something you have to consider, but I would mention it to my doctor.

Is the teeth clenching related? If you only took Lexapro for 6 days, you shouldn't still be having side effects from it.

I'm also a cutter. My experience is that it doesn't indicate suicidal tendencies (the general belief in the psych community as well) and that it does indicate problems you need to solve. There are options other than therapy if you want to consider them. (I'm not big on traditional therapy.) There also are community mental health centers where you can go w/o insurance if you want to explore that route. Discuss it with your doctor, and I'm sure she can give you some resources to research.
I agree. It would take several weeks to see if its working.

Anne, Mama to Conner 2/27/04 blahblah.gif  Gabrielle 2/6/06 W/LMC-TCS, Neurogenic Bladder, AFO & KAFO wearer, Neurogenic Bowel energy.gif & Delaney 5/12/08 mischievous.gif &  Beethoven cat.gif& Gizmo cat.gif

#6 of 12 Old 12-30-2009, 11:05 AM

It is also important to WEAN yourself off anti-depressants. (slowly lower the dose for several weeks) Going off of them suddenly can make you more depressed or even suicidal.

In my opinion, if the meds can get you through this difficult time, then don't beat yourself up over it. It is easier to do things right once you feel okay. Maybe you only need them for a year or two, and they can give you the energy and desire to do other things like working out etc. that will make you feel good about yourself.

I also agree that one week on an anti-d is a weird thing for a doc to prescribe. They just don't work like that.

You should ask your counselor if she works with somebody that can prescribe meds. They can discuss and monitor your situation.

I would not get more meds from a doc that gave a 1-week trial of lexapro. They clearly aren't aware of how depression or anti-d's work.
#7 of 12 Old 12-30-2009, 11:28 AM - Thread Starter

i did think it was strange that she gave me a week to see how i was doing i didnt think an anti-depressant could work that fast.
so i searches for places that i can call about counsiling and thats my job today, ill be busy on the phone all day i can telll so far.
if meds are what i need then hopefully the counsiling will be able to determine that not just a trial run on drugs.

#8 of 12 Old 12-30-2009, 01:59 PM

You have to go to a Psychiatrist for meds and a diagnosis. A therapist can't prescribe medication.

Anne, Mama to Conner 2/27/04 blahblah.gif  Gabrielle 2/6/06 W/LMC-TCS, Neurogenic Bladder, AFO & KAFO wearer, Neurogenic Bowel energy.gif & Delaney 5/12/08 mischievous.gif &  Beethoven cat.gif& Gizmo cat.gif

#9 of 12 Old 12-30-2009, 03:43 PM - Thread Starter

ive been looking and looking and im just stuck in a hole.
everywhere i call the price is outragous and i just cant afford it right now, and other places only take insurance, which i do not have and cant go apply for medical assistance because im only 17. these are things that set me into my depressed states. my parents didnt handle their buisness the right way so im stuck being 17 and no help.
i dont know where else to look.
things like these make me loose hope.
anyone know of anywhere i can contact in the Philadelphia area and/or surrounding areas..im willing to travel at this point.
i just want help, someone to talk to about everything.

#10 of 12 Old 01-04-2010, 05:55 PM

My understanding of the law is that you have most adult privileges now because you have a child. Is that not the case with Medicaid?

In Kentucky, we have what's called "comprehensive care." It's the mental health board in Ohio. There's an office in every county. Call your doctor or the local hospital if you can't get anyone else and see if Pennsylvania has something similar. In Ky, you don't have to pay if you make below a certain amount.

You also may want to call churches. Many have listings of free/reduced cost medical services.

#11 of 12 Old 01-04-2010, 05:56 PM

Try this link: https://www.hcsis.state.pa.us/hcsis-.../asp/PRCNT.ASP

It's a listing of all mental health services offices in Penn. They're state-run, so you may be able to find help there.

#12 of 12 Old 01-04-2010, 05:59 PM

Quote:
i did think it was strange that she gave me a week to see how i was doing i didnt think an anti-depressant could work that fast.
I think the "week to see how you're doing" is not to see if your symptoms are gone in that time, but to see if you are tolerating the medication. They're looking for reactions and side-effects, like your tooth-clenching, or rage, nausea, suicidal feelings -- anything new and bad that might be linked to the drug.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page