severe pms - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-26-2010, 01:28 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Does anyone have any suggestions for natural remedies for severe pms. Most concerning is intense anger and frustration usually anywhere from 2 weeks to just a few days before I start to bleed. As soon as I start, literally as soon as I start, to bleed I feel a tremendous relief and absolutely fine. I also have nausea, bloating and breast tenderness, but I'll take the physical symptoms over the anger any day. I started St. John's Wort 2 weeks ago and it has helped alot with everyday anxiety. I'm also taking 4 tsps of cod liver oil daily and just started eating according to WAPF principals after 20 years of being a veg. That also seems to be helping in the everyday.

Loving my four beautiful children in all their various stages (17,14,3 &2), aspiring to be a graceful wife to one hardworking man
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-26-2010, 09:17 PM

just a . I have fairly severe pms but I don't really manage it well. (blow up at everyone, and drug myself on advil for the cramps.)

Caroline, partner to J, post partum doula, kitchen manager, aspiring midwife, soon to be nursing student, mama to my furbaby, someday a mama to not so furry munchkins, G-d willing
Old 01-27-2010, 12:26 AM

I'd take a look at homeopathic lachesis. It's a good fit based on the few things you described.

You can also check out iodine and magnesium. Both can be quite helpful for exactly what you are talking about.
Old 01-27-2010, 12:00 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks. I have lachisis, I have taken it in the past with some luck. Does anyone know any herbals that may help? Motherwort or Oatstraw? It seems like alot of women feel this way pre-menstrual and there's got to be an alternative to allopathic drugs, which I won't do. I feel really anxious, angry, and frustrated. I feel like I just want to be alone, but that's an impossibility. I'm tandem nursing my 2 & 3 year olds and feel like weaning this morning because it feels like just too much. My husband's angry at me and not speaking to me because I'm acting so angry. I say the meanest things. I'm just ratty from the moment I wake. At two weeks a month my family feels like they don't know how to deal with me. It's half my life!!

Loving my four beautiful children in all their various stages (17,14,3 &2), aspiring to be a graceful wife to one hardworking man
Old 01-27-2010, 12:13 PM

Herbs can certainly help, but your biggest issue is likely the nutrition. Many women feel this way because many women are magnesium and iodine deficient. Both nutrients are a specific for cramping, anger and irritability.

You can try doing the lachesis with some consistency and see if that helps too.

Sure, you can use herbs as well....but I'd look at correcting imbalances first and foremost.
Old 01-27-2010, 01:22 PM

I also have a lot of anger and mood swings before I start my period so I know how frustrating it can be.

Student/Working Mama notes.gifgeek.gif
to DD 1dust.gif & DD 2energy.gif & engaged to DFpartners.gif

Old 01-28-2010, 03:01 AM

anger, cramps and irritability sound like me. I just realized when I got my period yesterday why I was yelling at everyone and whining and feeling like life sucked. I'll try to increase my magnesium and iodine (and put them on the list of "someday, I will test to see if I am deficient in this).

Caroline, partner to J, post partum doula, kitchen manager, aspiring midwife, soon to be nursing student, mama to my furbaby, someday a mama to not so furry munchkins, G-d willing
Old 01-30-2010, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by see mama run View Post
Does anyone know any herbals that may help?
Vitex/chaste tree berry tincture (40 drops per day) has helped me tremendously with PMS. The research I have looked at has found that 90-95% of women report improvement with their symptoms.

intactivist.gif  ribbonpb.gif RN student, bellycast.gif birth doula since 2006
Old 02-13-2010, 02:06 PM - Thread Starter

I saw a holistic doctor 2 weeks ago and have been taking a cal/mag supplement, B complex, a women's tonic w/vitex and dong quai and an increased dose of St.John's wort. I started my cycle the day I went to the MD and was feeling really hopeless. For two weeks I felt really fantastic. This week at exactly two weeks into my cycle I woke crabby, depressed, and with breast tenderness and nausea. I'm aware now of the causes so that's helping me keep it in check, but it's really hard. I go back to the naturopath on Wednesday. I know this is manageable I've just got to find the right combination for me. I think I'm on to it. She also gave me a dose of sepia.

Old 02-14-2010, 01:57 PM

It's so annoying! I get so frustrated with people and just wish that I could be alone, which NEVER happens. I end up feeling super guilty for my attitude because I know they don't deserve my frustration.

I have been taking vitex, but I don't know how much it helps. Extra omega oils and calcium/magnesium does help when I remember to take it. Exercise helps, especially if it's an early walk in the fresh air. Lately I nap a lot, it kind of worries me because I know I get enough sleep so the tiredness seems strange.
Old 02-16-2010, 01:26 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I've had success with a chinese herbal called Free & Easy Wanderer Plus, available at my local health food store. I take anywhere from 10-15 pills at a time. Whenever I start feeling pms-y... I just check in w/my body about how many to take.

Also my symptoms have decreased to almost nil since I changed my diet. I used to have SEVERE pms and menstrual symptoms-skin breakouts, mood swings, tearfulness, diarrhea, really ouchy cramps, nausea, sometimes vomiting.
Since I cut out wheat, dairy and sugar my period almost sneaks up on me

I've been living at my friend's house for the past month and there is cheese and sour cream and sugar here that I would never buy when I live at my own house (I never cheat on wheat cuz it makes me sick immediately now) and I really noticed a difference when my period started this week. I was way crankier than usual and had more intense cramps that lasted longer than my new norm.
The diet changes I made were in the context of the blood type/genotype diet. So the changes I made may not necessarily be the same for you, unless of course you're an O blood type like me

Former Nanny Extraordinaire, looking forward to being a Mama! treehugger.gif I love Organizing & being a Health & Wellness Coach eat.gif & I'm crunchy granola as long as it's organic and certified gluten free. GF since March '08 yummy.gif. Willoughby Nov '11  cat.gif TTC #1-still, again, some more, & seriously pondering adoption. 
Old 05-20-2011, 12:51 PM

I use a Period Calendar to keep track of my cycles, moods and PMS symptoms. When I note that it's that time of the month, I try to take things easier than usual. I go for a walk, take hot baths, rest more, eat healthy and nourishing food. I notice that stress is a big trigger for my PMS moods, so I watch my stress level very carefully. Also I think a lot of anger, sadness etc are stored in our subconscious mind. Those emotions get triggered more easily because we're not feeling great and we're ultra sensitive. Meditation, breathing exercise, writing journals are all great ways to help me get in touch how I feel inside.

User Tag List