Homeopathics for bipolar?? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 02-09-2010, 05:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
DH and I have finally accepted that DS has cyclothymia as the doc thinks. We cannot get in with the child psychiatrist for a couple weeks (we still want a second opintion before starting meds). Our naturopath thinks he may be able to help by using homeopathics. Has anyone tried this? DS cycles very rapidly (within a day) but is 80% depressed with only short windows of hypomania. I figure homeopathy can't hurt, especially since it will be a couple weeks before we will be starting meds. WE already have him on Omega 3's and vit D.
#2 of 7 Old 02-09-2010, 06:07 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
This isn't bipolar, but a friend of DH is a homeopath and he has developed and seems to be having great success with a homeopathic for stress, depression and insomnia, so I am sure homeopathic remedies can help with bipolar also.

Here is his opinion on medications:

Quote:
The fact that all the drugs and therapies fail to heal deep mental emotional conditions is because with this particular type of diseases you don't deal with physical level but with highly energetic, vibrational entities: Mind and emotions. If you still believe that your mind is the brain and your emotions reside in the heart, then please continue to take chemical drugs or herbs. It's your choice.

Rainbow.giftstillheart.gifsmile.gif

"If you find from your own experience that something is a fact and it contradicts what some authority has written down, then you must abandon the authority and base your reasoning on your own findings"~ Leonardo da Vinci

#3 of 7 Old 02-10-2010, 10:09 AM

I control my bipolar (rapid cycling, ADD, OCD) with a supplement from this website: www.truehope.com

3 years with NO manic episodes, no cutting, no suicidal thoughts etc and so forth. I tried over 20 meds and ended up with bad kidneys and a fine motor control issues that persist to this day, while some of them helped me the side effects were too much to handle, so I'm very thankful I found truehope, and experienced 85% relief. I still have mild depression seasonally, but it isn't the painful horrid stuff I use to have.

Good luck!
#4 of 7 Old 02-11-2010, 05:22 AM

I know cyclothymia is a mild form of BP, but can you explain it? He's essentially just rapid cycling but mostly depressed - no grandiosity, is that right?

In that case, I would be tempted to try alternatives to allopathic meds. I have been on and off them for about 16 years now, and I would love to be able to go off them completely. They do have serious side effects.

My suggestion would be to find a psychologist or nurse practitioner who will help you with managing the illness and looking for holistic/alternative medications. I personally would not trust someone who does not have training in mental illness, and it is possible to find mental health providers who are accepting of people who don't want to use meds.

It's us: DH , DS ; DD ; and me . Also there's the . And the 3 . I . Oh, and .
#5 of 7 Old 02-11-2010, 03:09 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you for your responses. I ordered Truehope and we are going to try it. Yes he is mostly in the depressed end of the spectrum with occasional "wild" periods but no grandiosity. He definitely doesn't reach full mania. Even when he is feeling up he is suffering- he has pulled out all of his eyelashes, now pulls his hair out and digs/scratches into his arms. He says he can't help it, that pulling hair/ scratching helps alleviate the "icky" feelings (anxiety, irritability, anger, etc). We are going to pursue homeopathics and nurtritional supplements but are going to start him on allopathic meds also. Hopefully the "alternative" remedies can minimize the amount of meds he needs.
#6 of 7 Old 02-11-2010, 03:22 PM

Check out this section about Mental Health on Dr. Weil's site.

http://www.drweil.com/drw/u/PAG00062...r-Dr-Weil.html

Even Dr. Weil recommends medication may be necessary. But he also has suggestions on natural approaches to use in combination with medication.

Anne, Mama to Conner 2/27/04 blahblah.gif  Gabrielle 2/6/06 W/LMC-TCS, Neurogenic Bladder, AFO & KAFO wearer, Neurogenic Bowel energy.gif & Delaney 5/12/08 mischievous.gif &  Beethoven cat.gif& Gizmo cat.gif

#7 of 7 Old 02-11-2010, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moochie Mamma View Post
Thank you for your responses. I ordered Truehope and we are going to try it. Yes he is mostly in the depressed end of the spectrum with occasional "wild" periods but no grandiosity. He definitely doesn't reach full mania. Even when he is feeling up he is suffering- he has pulled out all of his eyelashes, now pulls his hair out and digs/scratches into his arms. He says he can't help it, that pulling hair/ scratching helps alleviate the "icky" feelings (anxiety, irritability, anger, etc). We are going to pursue homeopathics and nurtritional supplements but are going to start him on allopathic meds also. Hopefully the "alternative" remedies can minimize the amount of meds he needs.
Make sure you call in to truehope and talk with them, they are really helpful.

Meds IMO are sometimes a good route to take if you can find something that works for you, but at the same time other things are worth looking into especially when rx medications aren't doing the trick.

He also definitely needs to be willing to stop behaviors/habits that are exacerbating symptoms. Like staying up late, sleeping erratically, eating poorly, consuming too many refined foods/sugar/caffeine, playing negative tapes in your mind, indulging in pity and negative thoughts, obsessing on the past/future instead of the now etc. Once you get something that helps you have some symptom relief it is essential that you develop habits and a lifestyle that sustains health- not tears it down.

For a few years my whole entire life revolved around this question:

Is this going to help or hurt my health?

Simple things like spreading myself too thin, expecting too much or perfection for myself, ruminating, being in contact with negative/dysfunctional people all those things needed to be weighed and evaluated.

It is amazing how many little things you choose to do/eat/think in a day can mess with your mental health. Fixing the chemical issues is only half the battle.

I hope your husband finds relief soon.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page