Homeschooling and special needs mama... - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 02-09-2010, 08:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
X posted in the unschooling forum.

Hi everyone, I'm new here.

I’d like to unschool my DD (5yo). But my main problem is this; I have bipolar disorder and some anxiety issues… And sometimes this gives me problems… and we find ourselves in situations and places that are not good for anyone and definitely not a healthy learning environment… BUT, I’m on medications and I am “healthy” most of the time. My DH takes on a lot of responsibility for the kids, the house and everything when I am ill. He has no such issues by the way. But I struggle with the whole unschooling thing and this. I’m so, so, so afraid that someone will use it against me if we choose homeschooling/unschooling. It is very rare in this country, maybe between 200-400 kids in total. So we will have to face narrow-mindedness and comments from family no matter what… But what if they call the CPS… What if... What if...

I guess what I want is to get in contact with other mamas struggling with bipolar, depression, ADD, anxiety etc. and still home/unschool. I would really appreciate if someone would share their perspective and experiences…
#2 of 3 Old 02-13-2010, 06:39 PM

just bumping...

did you try posting this in the hsing forum? You might get more responses there.
#3 of 3 Old 02-13-2010, 06:51 PM

Hej!

Please don't worry. You are doing fine. Everything with homeschooling in Norway will work out fine.

In Norway they are quite supportive with homeschooling and they don't look for the mistakes you might make but what you reach and have reached (positive evaluations).
Often the communities offer free tutors or funds for hiring tutors (you find unschooling friendly teachers that just could accompany your children's path); if it fits to your educational philosophy, make use of it, then you have time for yourself. In the beginning they will just try to find out what resources they might offer (books, internet, computer...).

You are right, there are not so many homeschoolers out there, but that's because they have good schools. They better have as they are so rich as a country.

And don't worry please. No parent is ever perfect, you could google the term "good enough parenting", if parents are meeting their childrens' needs most of the time, then everything will work out excellent. (Just the fact that you can critically evaluate yourself shows how strong and powerful you are).

Ha det bra!

Vegmum:Hedding::: treehugger::

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page