How to talk to child about parent's mental illness? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 02-16-2010, 07:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I can't go into too much detail here but does anyone have links, info, etc they can share about talking to a child and helping them cope with their parent's mental illness? TIA
#2 of 6 Old 02-16-2010, 07:30 PM

Here is a link to the NAMI chapters. If you look for your state you should find a contact person. Call them and ask for advice.

Off the top of my head I am not sure of any books geared to a child's level that would be helpful. But I am sure there are some out there.

http://www.nami.org/Template.cfm?Sec...iateFinder.cfm

Anne, Mama to Conner 2/27/04 blahblah.gif  Gabrielle 2/6/06 W/LMC-TCS, Neurogenic Bladder, AFO & KAFO wearer, Neurogenic Bowel energy.gif & Delaney 5/12/08 mischievous.gif &  Beethoven cat.gif& Gizmo cat.gif

#3 of 6 Old 02-16-2010, 07:40 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
i've always known my exhusband would be dx with something someday, and recently he was. paranoid schizophrenia. i told my 7yo ds that daddy is sick, just like someone who has the flu is sick, but he can take medicine to get better. i also mentioned that it wasnt his body that is sick, but rather it is his thoughts. sometimes his thoughts dont work right and he needs extra help to remember what really happened. we know several children who wear AFOs (leg braces) and i've told my son that its like so and so who needs help to walk properly...daddy needs help to think properly.

probably in the next yr or so i will tell him more. right now this is all he needed to understand why his father is no longer employed. when he asks for more info i will give it, as age-appropriately as i can manage.

FWIW, exdh tells him nothing, as he is still indenial.

Bring back the old MDC
#4 of 6 Old 02-18-2010, 05:11 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by blessedwithboys View Post
i've always known my exhusband would be dx with something someday, and recently he was. paranoid schizophrenia. i told my 7yo ds that daddy is sick, just like someone who has the flu is sick, but he can take medicine to get better. i also mentioned that it wasnt his body that is sick, but rather it is his thoughts. sometimes his thoughts dont work right and he needs extra help to remember what really happened. we know several children who wear AFOs (leg braces) and i've told my son that its like so and so who needs help to walk properly...daddy needs help to think properly.

probably in the next yr or so i will tell him more. right now this is all he needed to understand why his father is no longer employed. when he asks for more info i will give it, as age-appropriately as i can manage.

FWIW, exdh tells him nothing, as he is still indenial.
Thank you for this!!! And thank you katwrangler for the link. I'll check it out.
#5 of 6 Old 02-22-2010, 02:56 PM

I don't know what you're dealing with, but this site/book/researcher is supposed to be good for dealing with bipolar issues. There's also an organization geared specifically to children whose parents have bipolar disorder, but I will have to look it up. I can't remember the name right now.

http://www.childrenofbipolar.com/

As for what we've told my children, it's basically that I have a disease that affects my brain. I take medication to help, and I go to the doctor to talk about my problems. Sometimes Mom needs extra sleep or is easily upset, and that's because I'm sick.

It's us: DH , DS ; DD ; and me . Also there's the . And the 3 . I . Oh, and .
#6 of 6 Old 02-25-2010, 07:31 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionaryMom View Post
I don't know what you're dealing with, but this site/book/researcher is supposed to be good for dealing with bipolar issues. There's also an organization geared specifically to children whose parents have bipolar disorder, but I will have to look it up. I can't remember the name right now.

http://www.childrenofbipolar.com/

As for what we've told my children, it's basically that I have a disease that affects my brain. I take medication to help, and I go to the doctor to talk about my problems. Sometimes Mom needs extra sleep or is easily upset, and that's because I'm sick.
Thank you for sharing this!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page