St. John's Wort and 5HTP used in combination? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-14-2010, 03:01 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Can St. John's Wort and 5HTP be used together?

M.Ed. Mama to Chunka (1/07), Beauty (5/09) and Elizabear 3/12): Birth Doula (working toward certification) AAMI Midwifery Student, Advocating with Solace for Mothers & The Birth Survey

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-14-2010, 10:28 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
YIKES! NO! Both of them increase serotonin in your brain and if you take them both together, you can cause serotonin syndrome, which is very dangerous and potentially fatal. Please don't take them together.

Mom to two beautiful boys, now in school to be a therapist and help other women with PPD.  

Old 04-16-2010, 04:34 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I did read in my encyclopedia of natural healing, after I posted here, that both can be used together in severe cases. The friend that I'm asking on her behalf probably is a severe case, but she'll be trying one first and then maybe down the road consider combining.

M.Ed. Mama to Chunka (1/07), Beauty (5/09) and Elizabear 3/12): Birth Doula (working toward certification) AAMI Midwifery Student, Advocating with Solace for Mothers & The Birth Survey

Old 04-16-2010, 10:45 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'd be really scare of doing that. She needs to be really aware of the symptoms of serotonin syndrome.

I think that either one of them, on its own, works more than well enough. You should never ever take more than one thing that raises serotonin. Big time dangerous.

Mom to two beautiful boys, now in school to be a therapist and help other women with PPD.  

User Tag List