Severe panic attack - when will I feel normal? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 06-06-2010, 07:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
On Wednesday, I had a severe panic attack and ended up in the ER. I haven't had that bad of one since 2007. I followed up with my GP who got me back on Zoloft (50 mg) and he also gave me Xanax (.5 mg but said I can take 1 mg if needed). I have two questions:

1. Is it normal ( well normal for those of us with mental disorders) to still be feeling some anxiety? Two of my symptoms are tingling in my back and arms and heaviness in my chest/head. No where near as bad as when I went to ER but still there especially upon waking from naps or in the morning.

2. Is it a given I will gain weight on Zoloft? I recently lost 30 pounds and really don't want to backtrack (of course my mental health is of utmost importance).

Thanks in advance.

Jen, Mom to DS (8) , DD (5) & Alli
(1-04) (8-09)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 7 Old 06-06-2010, 07:36 PM

Can't tell you anything about drugs and weight gain, sorry.

I'm not normally into the woo, but I had this problem on and off until, after a really rough period, I tried biofeedback (with a licensed psychologist). My naturopath suggested it and I was kind of, "bio -what?" But the breathing techniques this woman taught me have made a huge difference, to the point where I honestly can't see it ever happening again.

Best of luck.
#3 of 7 Old 06-11-2010, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenifer76 View Post

1. Is it normal ( well normal for those of us with mental disorders) to still be feeling some anxiety? Two of my symptoms are tingling in my back and arms and heaviness in my chest/head. No where near as bad as when I went to ER but still there especially upon waking from naps or in the morning.
For me, a severe anxiety attack is often followed by lower level, constant generalized anxiety.

Quote:
2. Is it a given I will gain weight on Zoloft? I recently lost 30 pounds and really don't want to backtrack (of course my mental health is of utmost importance).
It's not a given, but it is common. If you watch your calorie intake and make sure you're getting daily exercise, you can try to offset the weight gain. I think I gained weight on Zoloft because it made me really sleepy and lazy, and it increased my appetite.
#4 of 7 Old 06-11-2010, 01:05 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
No, it's not a given at all that you will gain weight on Zoloft. It affects everyone differently. You may even lose weight, especially at first.

As far as the lingering symptoms, yes, totally normal. You may also have some side effects initially on the zoloft that could feel like anxiety/panic. But know that those will go away in 2 weeks or less.

Good for you, I am so proud of you for getting the help you need and going on meds. I am currently dealing with 2-3 panic attacks / week, and severe OCD, and yet I am resisting meds. I don't know why. I know they will help me and yet I am worried about taking them... which could be the OCD talking (probably is). Your story is an inspiration to me. Thank you.

Mom to two beautiful boys, now in school to be a therapist and help other women with PPD.  

#5 of 7 Old 06-13-2010, 03:28 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I actually lost weight on zoloft, about 30lbs.

student/sahm to three awesome girls who are always on the go!
#6 of 7 Old 06-13-2010, 03:34 PM

I lost about 25lbs on zoloft, without trying, and then my weight stayed steady. I requested a weight-neutral medication because I was already fat and that was what my doc suggested.

Some of the medications I did gain weight on were Lithium and Lamictal, but both are mood stabilizers. Now I am losing weight on Lexapro and Abilify.

flowersforyou.gif

#7 of 7 Old 06-15-2010, 04:31 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you for all your insights. I've been pretty tired still so I haven't been as active BUT I am watching what I eat.

As for the panic, I have it mostly at bay except for last night when I couldn't sleep. I was so tired but everything was bothering me. Even then, though, I was able to talk myself through it.

Mom0810, I really didn't want to go back on meds but I finally learned I can't handle it on my own. My Dad is bipolar and there is other mental illness in my family so I have to accept that this is part of my genetic makeup. (hugs) to you and good luck on your journey!

Jen, Mom to DS (8) , DD (5) & Alli
(1-04) (8-09)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page