Herb/supplements for anxiety and depression that are safe while bfing?? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-24-2010, 06:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I know there are several options, but I want to be sure they are safe while bfing. I have passionflower, but have read it is and isn't safe. I'm thinking about 5HTP or St. John's Wort. Any suggestions or advice is much appreciated!

Earth-loving, birth-loving, body-working, simple-livin' mama to two sweet girls and fiance to a hard-working man treehugger.gif namaste.gifbellyhair.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-24-2010, 07:04 PM

I'm probably going to be looking into st. john's wort as well for saftey during bf'ing wih my naturopath so I'll let you know what I find out! In terms of anxiety, it's not super strong btu I've used skullcap and believe susun weed mentions it in her wise woman herbal for the childbearing year, as well my mw said it was ok, but all things are up to your discretion, nothing is ever really 100% safe. Do you have a naturopath/mw or open minded doc? If you google susun weed she does have a place to contact her with questions on herbs etc. and she is super knowledgeable...but I feel most confident getting advice from a naturopath for on-going herbal use.

crochetsmilie.gif       placenta.gif encapsulated my placenta!   toddler.gif        blogging.jpg          lactivist.gif       familybed1.gif    pos.gif Jan 2012 and planning a hbac.gif!!
Old 06-24-2010, 08:04 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks so much! I need something pretty strong, and I def do not want to be put on pharmaceuticals. Before getting preg with my daughter, I was on a cocktail of Zoloft and Xanax..tried Cymbalta for awhile too. It turned me into a numb zombie. I've thought about asking my mw, but I'm like you in feeling more comfortable getting advice from a naturopath for long-term use. I know a couple of herbalists also so I may ask their opinion. I am definitely going to google this Susan lady! lol

Earth-loving, birth-loving, body-working, simple-livin' mama to two sweet girls and fiance to a hard-working man treehugger.gif namaste.gifbellyhair.gif

Old 06-25-2010, 02:18 PM

Daily cardio exercise at a moderately hard effort is as effective as SSRI's for depression and anxiety.

It's also completely safe for breast feeding!

If you can't do 30 minutes of cardio at one shot, you might want to try a training program like a Couch to 5K program. They mix running and walking.

User Tag List