Insomnia - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 09-26-2010, 06:05 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I never had problems sleeping my whole life, until my daughter came along 6 years ago. It has gotten to the point where I almost never sleep through the night. It doesn't matter if my daughter is sleeping with me or not. Even if I eliminate caffeine and/chocolate, I don't always sleep through the night. The naturopath tells me it is related to my liver because I was waking up around 2-3 a.m., but now it is usually first around 12 or 1 pm whether going to bed at 7:30 with my dd or 9:30 by myself. I've tried all kinds of herbal teas (which help a little), and listening to sleep meditations, etc on my Ipod. It is thoughts/worries that awaken me and keep me awake. Biodynamic craniosacral has helped somewhat, as has meditation. But I still can't sleep!! I'll wake up 2-3 times/night. It is a good night if I go back to sleep relatively quickly, but often I'm awake 2 hours one of the times I wake up!

Help!!
#2 of 6 Old 09-26-2010, 10:14 PM

I've struggled with the same issue since the birth of my daughter nearly 5 years ago. It has come and gone and some weeks are worse than others. It was starting to cause me anxiety because bedtime had become the enemy. Just the thought of trying to go to sleep caused anxiety which made it worse, and thus the vicious cycle. I struggle with a low but manageable level of anxiety anyway, but it's enough to keep me up at night just like what you mentioned, and my brain won't turn off.

I started taking Benedryl (Wal Mart brand - the active ingredient is Diphenhydramine) at night to help me sleep and it worked. I don't take it every night now, but only when I feel like I need it. Not the best, but it's what has worked for me and it's better than some of the alternatives (as far as over the counter or prescription meds go at least). I've tried milk & honey at night, calcium/magesium (Natural Calm), different teas, setting a routine, a warm bath, sooo many things and nothing significantly helps except the Benedryl.

I have a friend who suggests taking melatonin and she takes some kind of mixture of things that came in a box (like a "kit") from the health food store. She says it helps sometimes. I have not checked into those things yet due to cost. We're a family of 7 on one income and all natural supplements from the health food store can get very costly.

I hope you find something that works for you. Insomnia stinks!!! I'm interested in reading other's comments.
#3 of 6 Old 09-27-2010, 11:13 AM - Thread Starter

I tried the Natural Calm too, and taking just Magnesium by itself. It doesn't work for me consistently. What worked a little better for me is taking an epsom salts bath-put in about 3 cups worth.

I haven't tried benadryl yet!
#4 of 6 Old 10-01-2010, 01:56 AM

If you have reaccuring thoughts that go on and on and on and don't stop I would try the flower essence white chestnut. Dh takes it, helps him sleep and I have seen it help time and time again for others.

In peace & health
Kimberly

Kimberly DH of 8 years DS 08/2002 DS 04/2005 DD 11/2007
Holistic consultations, supplements, herbs, flower essences www.IllinoisNaturopathy.com
#5 of 6 Old 10-01-2010, 04:23 AM

Benadryl works, but I found a better one that doesn't make you feel groggy is Unisom. Its' the same thing, and antihistamine but a different one.
#6 of 6 Old 10-20-2010, 11:00 PM

I'm experiencing the same thing. My "natural" response to stress is night waking/not being able to go back to sleep. University of Maryland has a good article about some of the different methods of treating/resolving anxiety related insomnia: http://www.umm.edu/altmed/articles/insomnia-000096.htm

My anxiety is related to school/expectations/family economics, and I struggle with deciding to "get up" and study when I wake at 2 or 3 or to try and go back to sleep.

Tylenol PM (benadryl, essentially) works OK for me, especially if I use it only occasionally, but it dries me out, which my bf daughter does not appreciate! (and neither do I since she then wakes more frequently to nurse :-) And when I am desperate and need a good night's sleep, bring on the )generic) nyquil!

A friend who is a a doctor of Chinese Medicine recommended passionflower (the herb) to maintain sleep. I got a tea with passionflower in it, as well as a tincture with passionflower, skullcap and hops. My local store was out of straight-up passionflower :-(

I'm excited to learn about the white chestnut! Sounds like something I need to investigate!

I'm curious to know what works for others.

Used to be stay at home parent to our two lovely girls, survived nursing school with family intact, about to graduate and looking for a job! I low-supply nursed my bio daughter for 3 years. 

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page