Panic attack in a 10-year-old? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-19-2010, 03:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Dd has always been a somewhat high-strung kid, but she's also very strong and determined when she needs to be. This is a kid who, in kindergarten, we moved across the globe and put her in local schools where no one spoke English. It was tough, but she learned the local language. Who took kung fu and cried every day for the first 3 sessions because it was hard, but stuck it out and succeeded, winning the respect of the older students.

This is also a kid who can be somewhat of a drama queen around mommy . She can be bleeding from the lip after a collision in hockey and not bat an eyelash, but is likely to completely fall apart when she stubs her toe at home. I know that I am her "safe place" where she just dumps all of her emotions and I'm fine with that, but I also know that she sometimes needs to be pushed to practice mature behaviors. I want to guide her, not enable her.

Anyway, she stayed home from school yesterday because she was sick. This morning she felt physically well, but really stressed about the work she missed the previous day at school. Crying and out of control about it. Said she just feels really scared and she's not sure why. She's felt like this before regarding schoolwork, especially this year because there is more homework in 5th grade. But the feelings have always gone away once she gets to school because she is an excellent student, the teacher loves her and truly there is nothing to be scared about. But this morning, as she was doing her entry tasks at school, she said she felt suddenly as though she was hit with an electric shock - flushed, hot, shaking hands, the works. She couldn't write with her hands shaking, so she told the teacher and I brought her home.

So I guess she had a panic attack? I've never had them so have no idea how to deal with it. Obviously relaxation techniques would be useful and we have talked about them, but she says when she tries doing them she feels fake and it doesn't work. Do I push her, as I have had to do in other areas, to work on relaxation? Do it with her for example? But will it be relaxing if it is forced? I offer hugs of course, but it's not enough, she needs to learn how to deal with her feelings. If she is feeling stressed in 5th grade, how is she going to feel in 11th grade?

I'm looking for stories and advice, anything that can help me help my daughter. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-20-2010, 02:33 PM

I am sorry to hear about your dd. Something is telling me craniosacral therapy may help her relax. Have you heard of it? It can be especially effective and soothing for children.
Old 10-21-2010, 01:47 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I wonder if you have mental health services for children in your state. They might have some resources or suggestions.

wash.gif  Me  + bikenew.gif Dh =  broc1.gif  Dd1(9 yrs) + hearts.gif  Dd2(6 yrs) and blowkiss.gif Ds(3.5 yrs)
Old 10-21-2010, 05:08 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks, I've never heard of craniosacral therapy but I'll check it out!
Old 10-21-2010, 05:17 PM

A lot of chiropractors also are trained in it. Best wishes for you and your daughter.
Old 10-21-2010, 06:38 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
One of the most simple solutions is to try Bach Rescue Remedy with her when she gets panicky or anxious.

t

"There are only two mistakes you can make in the search for the Truth. Not starting, and not going all the way." ~ Mark Passio
Old 10-26-2010, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirzam View Post
One of the most simple solutions is to try Bach Rescue Remedy with her when she gets panicky or anxious.
this. it's a good place to start. RR doesn't do much for me when I'm in the midst of anxiety, but I have a custom blend that does. RR is a good place to start though and often at least takes the edge off.
Old 11-22-2010, 07:00 AM

Hugs to you and your daughter. As a child I had several anxiety attacks (maybe 10-15?) in 4th and 5th grade.  Usually before, or on the way to school, a couple in school. But I can say that is got better in middle school, and a lot better in high school. Looking back I think I felt more in control as I got older.

Now a days when I feel this way I will take a homeopathic remedy. Aconite during the day, and Arsenicum Album if I am having trouble worrying at bed time. Aconite has been referred to as herbal Valium. You could get her a small Boiron tube, they are easy to dispense and she could keep it in her pocket.

Michelle , 20+ years with a wonderful DH
Mama to two boys, 12 and 10

Old 11-22-2010, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panserbjorne View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirzam View Post
this. it's a good place to start. RR doesn't do much for me when I'm in the midst of anxiety, but I have a custom blend that does. RR is a good place to start though and often at least takes the edge off.

I have a friend who swears by Bach Flower Remedy, but she also custom blends. For me, I have only tried the Rescue Remedy, and it did not help me very much with anxiety.

Michelle , 20+ years with a wonderful DH
Mama to two boys, 12 and 10

User Tag List