Weight gain with meds...anyone else? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 11-01-2010, 05:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I recently have gained a significant amount of weight in a short period of time after I started taking a new medicaiton. My shrink warned me but I'm still shocked! I feel awesome but my clothes barely fit now. I have always packed a bit of the chunk since I have had kids but this is ridiculous! I mentally feel great but I'm not loving my extra bulk. Has this happened to anyone else? I'm now on the straight and narrow with my eating but I did definately slip up to the weeks leading up to right now but I never really over ate that much. I just physically feel to awful. I think I'm going to have to buy a larger pair of jeans in the mean time.

There are three things I learned about life. It goes on. -Longfellow

stillheart.gifRIP DH DJ Delicious but mucho gracias for our children and all I have learnedstillheart.gif

#2 of 5 Old 11-02-2010, 12:51 AM

I'm with you. I am back on a medication that I took a hiatus from while I had my dd. In the past it didn't lead to weight gain, but it looks like it has this time and I'm super bummed. I find it hard to keep my weight down at the best of times, but this is just nuts.
#3 of 5 Old 11-02-2010, 05:28 AM

I gained about 100 pounds on various psych meds. Once I stopped taking them, some of the weight came off pretty fast (I lost about 50lbs in under a year, and lost about 10inches off my waist) Some of these drugs are associated with diabetes because they cause such significant weight gain. You might ask your doctor if there is another similar drug you can switch too- sometimes you can find another drug that does the same job, but doesn't cause the same side effects. You might also look at other treatments- some problems for instance respond very well to therapy, which might allow you to eliminate the med, or reduce the amount of time you need to take it.
#4 of 5 Old 11-04-2010, 03:50 PM - Thread Starter

I see my shrink in a couple of weeks and I will discuss other medication options. Going med free isn't going to happen for me. I have resigned myself to the fact I will most likely have to take medication for the rest of my life. If I am not medicated I am extremely nutty and suicidal so that's not an option.

There are three things I learned about life. It goes on. -Longfellow

stillheart.gifRIP DH DJ Delicious but mucho gracias for our children and all I have learnedstillheart.gif

#5 of 5 Old 11-19-2010, 11:10 AM

I've had some weight gain.  Part of the issue is that I no longer obsess about things (obsessive thought disorder was what prompted me to start medication), so I no longer obsess about my weight.  And I've gained. 

pinktongue.gif

I feel like I have to be SUPER careful about eating (and not eating) in order to maintain an appropriate weight.  It's definitely harder to keep the weight down.  (Of course, I've had my third child, and I'm almsot 37, and I have a wicked sweet tooth, so this could all be "normal" and not attributable to the drug at all!)

Mom to dd (8), ds (6), and dd (1)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page