Very active dreamer in three year old, family history of mental health issues... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 11-22-2010, 12:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I know I shouldn't worry but I do.

My three year old (four in February) has always been a terrible sleeper.  As in, would never sleep on his own from the moment he came home from the hospital.  I had to carry him forever.

He is now very verbal and is still a horrible sleeper.  He wakes up a couple times a night.  He still sleeps with us b/c it is the only way I can get any rest.

Lately, I have realized that what seems to be waking him up are his dreams.  He talks in his sleep and seems to be talking about his dreams.  About a quarter of the time they seems to be nightmares.  Not horrible, just waking up crying.

The reason I am worried about this (in addition to the still not sleeping part...which is no small issue...yawn!) is that we have a family history.  My other son has Autism and my sister has Schizophrenia.

Could this be an early warning sign?  I know I should worry but I do and I am.

Any suggestions on how to get him to sleep better through these?

Thanks

#2 of 3 Old 11-22-2010, 12:42 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

OK, I'm not a doctor.  But I have two Autistic kids and other friends, with Autistic kids.  And I have never heard of excessive dreaming or talking in your sleep as a symptom.  If he's almost 4 and you're not worried about his language development, or him avoiding eye contact, or being obsessive, then I wouldn't be worried about Autism.

I can't point you to the research, but I'm fairly certain that kids that young spend more time in R.E.M. sleep than adults do; that it's more common for kids (than for adults) to have immature/improper motor inhibition during R.E.M. sleep (i.e., talking or walking in your sleep); and that it's pretty common for kids - who are dreaming a lot anyway - to have a lot of nightmares, because there are so many things in life that they don't understand, can't control, or that scare them.  And some babies are just bad sleepers.  I was.  My husband was.  Neither of us is mentally ill.

I don't know about connections between schizophrenia and dreaming, but I certainly wouldn't worry about that, based ONLY on what you've described. 

One woman in a house full of men:  my soul mate:    or... twin sons:(HS seniors) ... step-son:  (a sophomore) ... our little man:   (a first grader) ... and there is another female in the house, after all:  our
#3 of 3 Old 12-01-2010, 08:01 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page