Finding the nerve to post.... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-01-2010, 10:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm not exactly sure this belongs here, if not feel free to move or delete.

I had been thinking for over a month that I wanted to go talk to a psychiatrist/psychologist/therapist/shrink (what's the right name??). I was thinking just talking through some things would do me a load of good and help me out of a funk I've been in since spring. Funk - just not being happy or good natured like I know I really am.

After taking a Rx pain killer today (lots of dental work done today), I found myself more patient, more willing, and happier. I didn't feel the need to rush around and find something to do. I wasn't tense or anxious. I had to put forth effort to think and do, which I believe helped me considerably.

I'm not exactly sure where that leaves me...... Did the pain killer itself help or is it the fact I had to really focus on what I was saying and doing that helped me? I feel odd stepping forward. I dealt with PPD by myself and only spoke about it after I felt I was fully "out of the woods". I feel strange at the thought of calling to schedule an appt with someone...... After today tho, remembering how much I once truly loved being home and having fun with my children, I feel like I've waited long enough and need to do whatever it is to get my head back on straight.

attached to DH superhero.gif 10/03, DD1 blahblah.gif 8/06, DD2 bouncy.gif 12/07, DD3 energy.gif 5/09, DD4 slinggirl.gif 11/12

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-02-2010, 02:04 AM

A psychiatrist is a medical doctor, normally they prescribe meds, but do not do any sort of therapy. A psychologist has a PhD and does not prescribe meds (in most states) and instead does therapy. A therapist is a term for any number of people who do therapy- they can be a licensed clinical social worker, a masters of social work, even a doctor of education, or a psychologist, or a psychiatrist if they are also providing therapy.

If you want to make an appointment, it would be good to decide what you what to try first- meds, or therapy? Then decide which practitioner to see. If you don't want meds at this time, or want to give therapy a shot first, I'd go with some form of therapist, as a psychiatrist, in my experience, is likely to prescribe you something, rather than evaluating you and giving you a good idea of what to try first. And, in my experience, therapists get to know you better, and thus have a better basis for diagnosis (I believe, if you want a diagnosis, in most places, only a psychiatrist or a psychologist can legally diagnose)
Old 12-02-2010, 06:34 AM - Thread Starter

okay thanks, I definately don't want to jump to meds, so I guess a therapist is where I need to start.

attached to DH superhero.gif 10/03, DD1 blahblah.gif 8/06, DD2 bouncy.gif 12/07, DD3 energy.gif 5/09, DD4 slinggirl.gif 11/12

Old 12-14-2010, 01:04 AM

I have used essential oils to help myself feel normal and happy.  If you go with the right company essential oils have some of the same components as pharmaceuticals do.  Different oils do different things. 

I drink wild orange essential oil in my water which helps balance my hormones and relive my anxiety.  Plus every time I smell it, it makes me smile-which tells my brain that I'm happy and helps my body make serotonin which actually makes me happy. 

You don't want to use essential oils internally unless you KNOW that they are pure-they can say on the bottle that they are natural and pure and only have 10% actual pant oil. 

I put the link for where I buy my oils from if you are interested. If you want more information about other oils let me know. 

I hope that you feel like you normal self again soon.

https://www.iact1.com/doterra/ShoppingCart/Shop.cfm?CurrPage=FrontPage&NextPage=CategoryDetail&CategoryID=78&PageNum=2

Old 12-14-2010, 01:07 PM - Thread Starter

I do have a place I get my oils from, it's been a long time since I've used them since I didn't feel like the anxiety blends did much for me. Maybe I need to revisit that route.

Old 12-14-2010, 11:29 PM

Finding a therapist sounds like a good idea.  Keep in mind that it may take a few tries to find the right person.  If the first one you go to isn't a good match it doesn't mean therapy will never be helpful for you.  I hope you find a way out of your "funk" quickly hug2.gif

Amara ~ Married to my HS sweetheart, we're having a blast with baby Z (1/29/2011)

Old 12-15-2010, 01:02 PM

Oils have changed my life!

Old 12-15-2010, 09:27 PM

I highly recommend making an appointment to go talk to someone.  I have gone to a counselor on and off myself over the years, especially since having kids.  I started going to a woman who is actually a social worker but has a private counseling practice after having a traumatic miscarriage.  The earlier poster is right in that if the 1st person you go to doesn't click for you (although you should give it a bit of time) try it with someone else.  I am now studying counseling myself and know that there are numerous theories and ways of practicing when it comes to therapy and everyone has their own style.  I really believe in the value of mental health counseling- there is a time in everyone's life when they could benefit talking to an unbiased person about their feelings and issues in their lives. Good luck to you!

Happy Mommy to a wonderful daughter and son!

Old 12-16-2010, 11:05 AM

I see a shrink who manages my meds and a therapist. I definately see the therapist more. I really lucked out with the therapist I have because she's great. She was referred to me by my shrink. My old therapist and I didn't always see eye to eye and I didn't get much out of our sessions. It may take a bit to find the right therapist but it will make a world of difference when you do. Best wishes, mama!

There are three things I learned about life. It goes on. -Longfellow

stillheart.gifRIP DH DJ Delicious but mucho gracias for our children and all I have learnedstillheart.gif

Old 12-16-2010, 01:08 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the replies! I really appreciate it. I'm not sure what I'm going to do at this point. I think perhaps having aching teeth that week didn't help my attitude when I posted this to begin with, but now I'm back in my groove a bit. Probably after the beginning of the year I will look into finding a therapist/someone to bounce my thoughts off of. I think my #1 problem is I have only a few close friends and we get to see/speak to each other so rarely I hate to unload on them when we do which leaves me to unload online or on DH (which I hate doing because he's going through his own crap right now with his family). It was actually one of these friends that suggested I see someone in the first place. He started seeing a therapist (whom he refers to as his shrink which is why I wasn't sure if they were all the same thing :p ) and told me about how great it was to speak freely without fearing judgment or repercussion. Thanks again ladies!

Tags
Health Healing
User Tag List