That I can take with Zoloft?

Dalila, mom to two boys, 7 and 5

490/2013

#2 of 10 Old 12-12-2010, 08:53 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Magnesium. (I like epsom salt baths.)

B Vitamins (bananas, beans, molasses... and grains, if you eat them)

Omega 3 Fatty Acids  (walnuts, flax seed oil, salmon)

Conjugated Linoleic Acids (meat, lard, dairy products... the highest levels are found in products from pastured animals)

Probiotics (kefir, yoghurt, ferment foods)

According to nutritional research, high (processed) sugar intake and low (good) fat intake is associated with emotional volatility.  Even mainstream doctors are prescribing Omega-3's.  You don't need a prescription to buy them, though.  Trader Joe's sells a gluten-free, all-natural gummy supplement for kids and adults.  Nearly every child that I know who is on the autistic spectrum receives these supplements.

How is your diet?

#3 of 10 Old 12-13-2010, 05:40 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebackpacks View Post

Magnesium. (I like epsom salt baths.)

B Vitamins (bananas, beans, molasses... and grains, if you eat them)

Omega 3 Fatty Acids  (walnuts, flax seed oil, salmon)

Conjugated Linoleic Acids (meat, lard, dairy products... the highest levels are found in products from pastured animals)

Probiotics (kefir, yoghurt, ferment foods)

According to nutritional research, high (processed) sugar intake and low (good) fat intake is associated with emotional volatility.  Even mainstream doctors are prescribing Omega-3's.  You don't need a prescription to buy them, though.  Trader Joe's sells a gluten-free, all-natural gummy supplement for kids and adults.  Nearly every child that I know who is on the autistic spectrum receives these supplements.

How is your diet?

Atrocious. I'm not eating any vegetables and too little protein.

490/2013

#4 of 10 Old 12-21-2010, 07:41 AM

I have been on a couple of anti-depressants (not zoloft), but have found the most relief from a natural supplement called Inositol.....it is amazing and found naturally in the body.  It has been studied for depression and is also beneficial for a host of other health issues (eye health, hair, cholesterol, etc).  In addition, a clinical double-blind study was done that proved that inositol worked as well as or better than fluvoxetine (Luvox for OCD, depression).  I've been taking it for approximately 2 weeks and the difference in my moods, demeanor,etc. has been amazing (it works on desentization of the serotonin receptors in brain, so the receptors work better).  Costs about $8-10 per bottle of 100 tablets at health food stores......I take 500 mg. 2 x a day and it has been proven safe at doses up to 14 mg. per day (that's a lot!).  But again, an amount equivalent to about 1 - 2 grams is very sufficient for relief and I STRONGLY recommend giving it a try!!

I am a health care professional, however, not a doctor....just check with your MD.  I know many women who have tried it as an adjunct to their current medication, eventually weaning down their pharmaceutical dosage. Best of luck!

#5 of 10 Old 12-21-2010, 09:22 AM

Quote:
  but have found the most relief from a natural supplement called Inositol.....it is amazing and found naturally in the body.

Is it safe to take while breastfeeding?

#6 of 10 Old 12-21-2010, 09:34 AM

I like inositol as well. It takes a while (like an antidepressant) to get full results for many people. It seems in studies to be interchangeable with SSRI's like Zoloft in terms of results on depression, anxiety, OCD, etc. conditions that SSRI's are used to treat. Studies I've seen that combined it with SSRI's (for treating conditions specifically) didn't see added benefit. It seems to be an either or though it doesn't hurt to take it with the Zoloft and see if it helps. Side effects are generally loose stools/GI while the body adjusts.

N-acytl cysteine helps me as well though I'm not sure if it's a mood regulator. It is an add on benefit for SSRIs at least in anxiety.

I've heard of people having success with GABA but I've not tried it as I can't see how it would get into the brain to work! But I've heard good things.

chewynotcruncyy, I don't know if inositol is safe for bfing for certain but it's a b vitamin and in all the studies I've seen it's perfectly safe even in very high doses. I guess I'm saying I suspect it would be safe but I've never researched specifically for bfing.

Rachelle, mommy to 8 year old boys! 

My Blog-free homeschooling finds and my lesson plans and link to the new User Agreement

#7 of 10 Old 12-21-2010, 09:40 AM

I've heard good things about Rescue Remedy.

heartbeat.gif Mama to 5 busy bees (12, 9, 6, 3, 2) & 3 angel1.gif
#8 of 10 Old 12-21-2010, 12:41 PM

I started inositol about 6 years ago instead of medication.  It worked very well, though I did do plenty of other things in addition.  Inositol was what changed things so that I was ABLE to manage other things.  Ultimately I changed my diet (more protein and fat, no gluten, grains or sugar) as well as supported with targeted supplementation for me.  This along with cell salts, homeopathy and flowers allowed me to stay medication free and I was in a very dark space begging for antidepressants.

I used it while breastfeeding an infant and consider it quite safe.  I stayed on it for about 6 months IIRC and have never needed to go back (I attribute this to the other changes which again, inositol made possible.)

For mood swings, that can loosely correlate to blood sugar so I'd certainly look at your diet given what you've already identified.  Even simply eating protein at the beginning of each meal can make a significant difference.

Magnesium is something I'd certainly consider along with omega 3 fatty acids, vitamin D and B vitamins.

I personally get significant help from flower essences which can be used with medications-irritability and mood swings I'd be looking at impatiens, scleranthus, beech, holly, cherry plum...rescue remedy isn't likely to do very much (though flowers are a great suggestion.)

Herbs can be excellent too...but I'd caution you to be working with someone directly if you go that route given that certain herbs can be contraindicated with the rx.

#9 of 10 Old 12-21-2010, 01:06 PM

If you can I would try and go low-carb - or simply just increase your protien and lower the processed sugars. Going low-carb made more of a difference for me than medication did.

wife of 8 years to DH geek.gif, mama to DD blahblah.gif (2006) & DS jog.gif (2011) angel1.gif (Dec. 2012) rainbow1284.gif due Nov. 2013 

vbac.gifh20homebirth.gif cd.gif homeschool.gif

#10 of 10 Old 01-04-2011, 01:47 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panserbjorne View Post

I started inositol about 6 years ago instead of medication.  It worked very well, though I did do plenty of other things in addition.  Inositol was what changed things so that I was ABLE to manage other things.  Ultimately I changed my diet (more protein and fat, no gluten, grains or sugar) as well as supported with targeted supplementation for me.  This along with cell salts, homeopathy and flowers allowed me to stay medication free and I was in a very dark space begging for antidepressants.

I used it while breastfeeding an infant and consider it quite safe.  I stayed on it for about 6 months IIRC and have never needed to go back (I attribute this to the other changes which again, inositol made possible.)

For mood swings, that can loosely correlate to blood sugar so I'd certainly look at your diet given what you've already identified.  Even simply eating protein at the beginning of each meal can make a significant difference.

Magnesium is something I'd certainly consider along with omega 3 fatty acids, vitamin D and B vitamins.

I personally get significant help from flower essences which can be used with medications-irritability and mood swings I'd be looking at impatiens, scleranthus, beech, holly, cherry plum...rescue remedy isn't likely to do very much (though flowers are a great suggestion.)

Herbs can be excellent too...but I'd caution you to be working with someone directly if you go that route given that certain herbs can be contraindicated with the rx.

How much inositol should I take daily?

490/2013

Tags
Health Healing , Vitamins Supplements

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page