Anxiety...what other natural remedies to try? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 01-19-2011, 04:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I've been doing pretty good in terms of anxiety since I got my gallbladder out, but I still have some lingering anxiety.  Thankfully no full blown anxiety attacks, but still not as comfortable as I'd like.  I'm not opposed to medications...but right now I don't feel like I need them.  

Currently I am taking:

-1000 mg fish oil

-sublingual B complex vitamin with B12

-6,000 iu vitamin D

-womens multivitamin

-daily exericse (today it actually made the anxiety worse because my heart rate was up and it scared me).

I have a bottle of theanine but I am too scared to take any.  I am really sensitive to medications and some supplements.  I'm thinking I should just take  a theanine when i'm not anxious so I know I won't have a reaction to it, but I always forget.  Not sure if anyone has had any experience with theanine?  

Is there anything else anyone can recommend?  I'm also thinking of cutting out gluten because I am plagued with another mouthful of canker sores.  Ouch.  Also I have very very very heavy painful periods which could very well be gluten.  And yes, I've got tested for celiac and it came back negative, but I did have a VEGA test done by the naturopath that came back positive for a wheat intolerance (not gluten) but I'm just not sure what I think about the VEGA testing.

#2 of 11 Old 01-20-2011, 06:09 AM

Niacinamide. It's supposed to work like benzos. There's a case on line about a resident who weaned himself off Klonopin by taking a high dose of niacinamide, and he did not have any liver problems. Right now I'm in the process of slowly weaning myself from 2.5 years of Zoloft. I'm taking 500 mg of niacinamide a day. 

Dalila, mom to two boys, 7 and 5

490/2013

#3 of 11 Old 01-20-2011, 07:34 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_momma2007 View Post

Niacinamide. It's supposed to work like benzos. There's a case on line about a resident who weaned himself off Klonopin by taking a high dose of niacinamide, and he did not have any liver problems. Right now I'm in the process of slowly weaning myself from 2.5 years of Zoloft. I'm taking 500 mg of niacinamide a day. 

Do you take it daily or just take it when the anxiety is high?

#4 of 11 Old 01-20-2011, 07:53 AM - Thread Starter

I should add that now that I have my gallbladder out most of my days are good with very very little anxiety.  Probably 9 days out of 10 I'm good.  Can function 100%.  It's that 1 day out of 10 that sucks really really bad.  

#5 of 11 Old 01-20-2011, 08:16 AM

You take it daily, but it's supposed to work pretty fast, so you may be able to take it on an as needed basis.

490/2013

#6 of 11 Old 01-24-2011, 06:31 AM

Quote:

Where did you purchase this? I am going to check my local health food/supplement store. I have a Rx for valium but it does absolutely nothing to help with my anxiety. Also, I'm out as my anxiety has been out of control the last month or so. I have been taking hyland's "sleep" pills which also help with anxiety. They don't necessarily make me sleepy they just take the edge off and work pretty fast, too. Anxiety is wicked! Best wishes, Mama!

There are three things I learned about life. It goes on. -Longfellow

stillheart.gifRIP DH DJ Delicious but mucho gracias for our children and all I have learnedstillheart.gif

#7 of 11 Old 01-24-2011, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abbylotus View Post

Quote:

Where did you purchase this? I am going to check my local health food/supplement store. I have a Rx for valium but it does absolutely nothing to help with my anxiety. Also, I'm out as my anxiety has been out of control the last month or so. I have been taking hyland's "sleep" pills which also help with anxiety. They don't necessarily make me sleepy they just take the edge off and work pretty fast, too. Anxiety is wicked! Best wishes, Mama!

I got mine at Whole Foods, but vitamin Shoppe probably carries it. It's from Solgar and it's 250 mg. Please do update us if you find that if does indeed help with your anxiety. I'm feeling a little bit on edge right now, so I'm going to take one.

490/2013

#8 of 11 Old 05-23-2012, 01:32 PM

Hi,

Bumping up this thread - can any of the original posters comment please on whether this ended up working for them? My mother is suffering from anxiety/depression and bordering on schizo - I would like to try niacinamide but have read it only works if you start early enough - does anyone have any experience with this - did you try it in the early stages i.e. when you first started feeling anxious or well into it?

Thank you for any help!

mdcblog5.gif

#9 of 11 Old 06-01-2012, 06:00 PM

Magnesium can help. There are also a lot of herbs as well if you are interested...

#10 of 11 Old 06-01-2012, 06:01 PM

Also acupressure (you do yourself)....

#11 of 11 Old 06-07-2012, 04:05 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by abbylotus View Post

abbylotus-

Which Hylands exactly do you use??

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page