Have spent so much money on supplements for anxiety.....almost headed to get some meds... - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-11-2011, 09:08 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Day 9. 10 mg cipralex.

I was still on edge today from day 8's panic attack.  It really really scared me.  :(  I had a few periods of minor anxiety, but most of the day everytime I felt a little bit of burning or if I felt something weird in my chest I got really upset thinking "oh no, here we go again".  I ended up going to bed at 9 because I just wanted the day to be over.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2011, 10:30 AM

i have struggled with depression and anxiety issues my whole life. have you ever tried an elimination diet? i found most of my issues were a fructose intolerance. i was not absorbing all my nutrients, and some thing were causing my heart to race etc. i also reccomend counseling as well esp behavior modification. i had great relief with the stepps program. when i stick to my diet i feel like a real person. it is worth a try.

Me,DH,DS1'95, '98,DSD'03,DD1'07,DD2'09,DS2'12 Living with Fructose Malabsorption Syndrome and Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome Type 3-Hypermobility.)o( and sometimes I get toif I am lucky.
Old 03-13-2011, 10:55 AM - Thread Starter

Day 10 and day 11.  10 mg cipralex.

Nothing new to report.  No side effects, no anxiety, no panic attacks.  

Old 03-14-2011, 11:15 AM - Thread Starter

Day 12.  10 mg cipralex.

Good day.  No side effects.  Very mild anxiety when we went on an outing.  Drove 1 hour into the bush to go for a hike which would usually send me into absolute panic.  Was out and hiking for a few hours which was great!  I go to the doctor tommorow so we'll see what she says about my current dose.

Old 03-14-2011, 04:31 PM

that sounds so nice!!

I worked outside for 2 hours today, stuff I used to avoid, but I always feel so good after I come in!!!

~Autumn~   Mama to whistling.gif (2001) and hearts.gif(2005) partners.gif madly in love since '99 
Old 03-15-2011, 10:49 AM - Thread Starter

Day 13.  10 mg cipralex.

Good day.  Had a doctors appointment and had a little bit of mild anxiety because my doctor is so PRO-natural health that I was scared she would critisize me for going the medication route but she was great.  She is keeping me on the 10 mg cipralex for now which is ok with me.  I have an appointment in one month to go over doseage again but for now we'll just try out the 10 mg.  She's also referred  me to see a psychologist and a therapist!  I'll see both of them in the next couple of weeks and I've made an appointment for CBT next week.  I can feel the dark cloud lifting, and I'm starting to see the beauty around me again instead of always seeing the negative.  I feel like my general anxiety is starting to lift.  I don't have that constant shakiness throughout my body and the constant worry of a panic attack in my mind.  No side effects at all.

Old 03-15-2011, 11:35 AM

Glad you appointment went well :) Even natural minded docs should know that sometimes doing the natural thing won't always be the best thing. It's ok to let other kinds of medicines help you :)

~Autumn~   Mama to whistling.gif (2001) and hearts.gif(2005) partners.gif madly in love since '99 
Old 03-15-2011, 07:30 PM

Really glad that everything is starting to lift, and I think it was a great idea for your doc to refer for CBT.  Hopefully that will be helpful for you - it usually is.  Big hugs - you've started on a great trajectory!!

Edited to ask question - do you feel keeping track of your experience here on MDC has helped at all?  It's almost another form of therapy:)

Old 03-16-2011, 04:59 AM

I think it would be a very good idea to try seeing a psychologist for counseling and at the same time, get an Rx for an anti anxiety med for a while. It sounds like you have tried a lot of ways to help yourself and sometimes a temporary trial of meds will get you past it so that counseling can help you for the long term. I would hesitate to go on anti depressants because I am afraid of the side effects but they work well for many people.
My sil tried xanax for a short time and only took it when it hit her and it was like a wonder drug. She was on the smallest dose too and had no problem stopping it when she no longer needed it.
One time, I was feeling horrible anxiety, it was a culmination of too many things all at once and I took one and it was the strangest thing. I felt better almost right away. I never needed to take it again because true anxiety doesn't really come to me that often but I still remember what a relief it was.

I hope you find a solution soon! From talking to her, I know it can be crippling to suffer from anxiety. hug.gif

Deb, Mom to Madeleine 8/2005 and Maia 11/2009 Nick: and Chris
Old 03-16-2011, 05:01 AM

oops, I just saw your reply! I'm so glad it's working for you!

Old 03-16-2011, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alison77 View Post

Edited to ask question - do you feel keeping track of your experience here on MDC has helped at all?  It's almost another form of therapy:)

Not the OP, but when I was having the same struggle (To medicate myself or not) talking to the MDC mama's....most of which was through PM's...made a huge difference. I was able to go back and read my notes and SEE my improvement even when I might not be FEELING it. Also, it was super helpful to know that other like-minded mamas had resorted to taking pharmaceuticals to help get their chemistry back where it needed to be. I felt like less of a hypocrite knowing other super natural, and crunchier moms (crunchier than me) were also taking antidepressants or anti anxieties. So, when I ended up on an anti psychotic, I was relieved that I would start to get better. (And now I've been off meds for over a year, not the first time I've been med free, but this is the first time I've had successful maintenance out pharmaceuticals. :D

Old 03-16-2011, 11:21 AM - Thread Starter

Yes, I actually feel that writing everything down is helping!  This morning I woke up and had a short panic attack and in the moment I thought in my head "I'm never going to feel better!!" then I came here and read what I've been writing and I almost instantly felt better because I realized that I've HAD good days in the past 2 weeks!  Only a few of those have been bad, so even though in the moment it feels horrible, I know it'll pass and the good days are there!!!

Old 03-16-2011, 11:22 AM - Thread Starter

Day 14.  10 mg cipralex.

Good day.  Had a few periods of mild anxiety (upset stomach, flickers in my chest) but didn't effect my day at all.  I've noticed my mood is more stable.  Not so many mood swings.  Two weeks ago I could go from being super happy to really cranky in the snap of a finger.  

Old 03-17-2011, 09:49 AM - Thread Starter

Day 15.  10 mg cipralex.

Had a brief panic attack this morning.  Lasted maybe 2 minutes, then fizzled out.  Didn't leave me with any anxiety afterwards.  Had a good and productive day.  Had more energy than I've had in a LONG time.  Set up the boys trampoline in the yard, did a bunch of yard work, and just enjoyed sitting in the sunshine watching my kids bounce.  Other than the morning, no anxiety through the day.  Past few days I've had really strange moments, in a good way.  I can sit down and my mind is so quiet.  Before I would sit down and my mind would just be going a mile a minute thinking 1001 different things.  Past few days it's just been odd sitting down and it being so quiet.  Negative thoughts don't consume my every thought!

Old 03-17-2011, 11:46 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

You know, that is what I truly miss about taking meds for my anxiety and depression, is the ability to just sit and "be" with my kids.  Now, I feel as if I can never relax, I always have to be doing something.  Sitting and being still is something I really miss.

Mom to two beautiful boys, now in school to be a therapist and help other women with PPD.  

Old 03-18-2011, 09:51 AM - Thread Starter

Day 16.  10 mg ciparlex.

Great day!  Drive 1/2 hour on the highway to my sisters house and spent 6 hours there with her and all of the kids.  That would normally send me into complete anxiety because my youngest son and my sisters oldest fight like crazy because they are so much alike and only 5 months age difference.  But we had a great day.  I had zero anxiety.  Went out for dinner at a restraunt for my sisters birthday and then drove 1/2 hour back home on the busy highway.  Stayed up a bit later to watch some tv with my hubby.  Didnt even have a twinge of anxiety.  Oh happy day!

Old 03-19-2011, 10:26 AM - Thread Starter

Day 17.  10 mg cipralex.

Nothing new to report.  Good day.  few periods of very mild nervousness (not even anxiety).  But great day all around.

Old 03-19-2011, 10:39 AM

smile.gif It's just great to hear you doing so well. TBH it makes me kind of want to try meds again myself.

Co-sleeping is really wonderful when your child actually SLEEPS!! familybed1.gif
Old 03-20-2011, 10:23 AM - Thread Starter

Day 18.  10 mg cipralex.

Once again, nothing new to report.  Feel really good.  No anxiety, no panic, no side effects.  I'm still pretty tired, but it's so dark here as we wait for spring to start!  

Old 03-21-2011, 11:32 AM - Thread Starter

Day 19.  10 mg cipralex.

Another great day.  Birthday party, then hubby and I had a night on our own.  Wonderful!  Went for a drive for 3 hours house hunting, then walked under the big mood and bright stars for an hour with hubby.  Pure bliss.  :)

Old 03-22-2011, 09:08 AM

This is so good to hear and a great inspiration to others that there is hope for them also. While I believe you should only take the medications you need, sometimes prescriptions are an absolute necessity. I work in psychiatry and see the miracles they produce. We also do the other therapy things also so it is a combination of things We also monitor for possible side effects and bloodwork as appropriate.. Over the years I have come to conclusion, for some people, the possible side effects or even shortening their lives by a couple of years is far better than not medicating properly. It is all about quality of life over quanity. I know for me I would rather spend my life enjoying my family, people wanting to spend time with me and enjoying life experiences and dying at 80 than not enjoying these things and dying at 82. That is the reality for some people. I have seen psychiatrists who are overly concerned about the possible side effects and reduce or discontinue medications and the "stable"  client regress to an angry, stressed individual who their peers, relatives and staff don't want to spend time with. How is this better? People are so quick to want to only  take supplements but this is actually taking medication. The difference is that many of the supplements aren't regulated so you don't actually know what you are taking.

Old 03-22-2011, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by betsu63 View Post

This is so good to hear and a great inspiration to others that there is hope for them also. While I believe you should only take the medications you need, sometimes prescriptions are an absolute necessity. I work in psychiatry and see the miracles they produce. We also do the other therapy things also so it is a combination of things We also monitor for possible side effects and bloodwork as appropriate.. Over the years I have come to conclusion, for some people, the possible side effects or even shortening their lives by a couple of years is far better than not medicating properly. It is all about quality of life over quanity. I know for me I would rather spend my life enjoying my family, people wanting to spend time with me and enjoying life experiences and dying at 80 than not enjoying these things and dying at 82. .

This is not exactly true. Individuals with serious mental illness die an average of 25 years earlier than their peers. That would be like dying at 55 instead of 80. Some of this difference is due to suicide and inadequate access to health care compounded by things like homelessness. However, some of it is related to issues that the meds cause or exacerbate- like obesity, heart disease, and diabetes. And of course, suicide can sometimes be linked to the meds as well thus the black box warnings. I'm not saying meds are always bad, but that a difference of 25 years is MUCH different than 2. Its something each consumer should be aware of and balance the risks and benefits for themselves. You can read more about mortality in the mentally ill here- http://www.nasmhpd.org/general_files/publications/med_directors_pubs/technical%20report%20on%20morbidity%20and%20mortaility%20-%20final%2011-06.pdf
Old 03-22-2011, 02:22 PM - Thread Starter

Day 20.  10 mg cipralex.

I'm feeling wonderful.  I never realized how depressed I was until now.  I am seeing the beauty in everything.  I'm not crying all the time.  I'm not anxious.  Did a ton of yard work and was actually mtoivated to do it!  Good times!

Old 03-23-2011, 10:04 AM - Thread Starter

Day 21.  10 mg cipralex.

Another great day!

Old 03-23-2011, 10:13 PM

It's so good to hear your updates, I hope things keep going so well for you!

Old 03-24-2011, 04:14 PM - Thread Starter

Day 21.  10 mg cipralex.

Still good.  My period is late though???  Been pretty much clockwork for years.  Not preggers although I haven't taken a test.  Could meds do this?

Old 03-24-2011, 09:37 PM

I looked it up and the only thing I could find was a rare side effect was to increase menstrual bleeding and/or to make it more frequent.

Old 03-24-2011, 09:44 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)

Suppliment are almsot the same as the Big Pharma pills in some ways . You can't take them all the time. There is reason for your anxiety. Go to therapy. Traditional psychotherapy will help to explore why you have it.....if you do not have time for it, try CBT, Cognitive Behavioral Therapy. It is short and to the point!

Old 03-24-2011, 11:01 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

I'm just stumbling across your thread here. I'm so impressed with the progress you've made. thumb.gif I'm almost 43 y.o. and over the years I noticed a seasonal trend -anxiety that starts in January, grows worse and worse through March.  End of March I find myself feeling better.  The short winter days might be exacerbating your anxieties. It's possible that you'll continue to feel better as the days grow longer.  And if the seasons are affecting you like that, then with the current success you're having with the medication then this coming winter might be easier to tolerate.

Someone moved my effing cheese.
Old 03-25-2011, 10:07 AM - Thread Starter

Day 22.  10 mg cipralex.

Good day for the most part.  I had some mild anxiety through the day but I honestly think that if I didn't have an anxiety disorder, it wouldn't even phase me.  It never slowed me down.  I did lots of yard work, hung out with my sister and her kids, played lots with the kids, cleaned house, and made a good nourishing dinner!  :)  

User Tag List