Have spent so much money on supplements for anxiety.....almost headed to get some meds... - Page 4 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#91 of 105 Old 03-26-2011, 09:06 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Day 23.  10 mg cipralex.

Good day.  Very very very mild anxiety throughout day, but didn't slow me down or anything.  I have so much motivation to do stuff aruond the house and out in the yard.  It's great.  My house is the cleanest it's been in years, my yard work is completely done, my kids are happy, and we are eating proper meals that I spend hours making!  I will update this thread until day 30 and then just update if anything crazy happens because I feel bad for bumping my thread day after day.

#92 of 105 Old 03-26-2011, 01:31 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

My son is on meds...and many of the metabolic side effect can be alleviated by Metformin now.

My mom had the same illness and no meds, she killed herself at 46. So, I think depending on the disorder that med can be very appropriate.

The issues with anxiety disorder is that many meds prescribed for it are very addictive.  Often there is huge enviromental component in anxiety...sometime couples counseling can help.

#93 of 105 Old 03-27-2011, 08:31 AM - Thread Starter

Day 24.  10 mg cipralex. 

Good day.  Still no period.  Hmmmmm.

#94 of 105 Old 03-28-2011, 08:02 AM - Thread Starter

Day 25.  10 mg cipralex.

Another good day!!  No period.

#95 of 105 Old 03-29-2011, 08:04 AM - Thread Starter

day 26.  10 mg cipralex.

Good day.  No period.  Will go buy a test later today just to be safe, but I'm 99.9% sure I'm not.  it's probably just from the meds.

#96 of 105 Old 03-30-2011, 10:32 AM - Thread Starter

Day 27.  10 mg cipralex.

I went in the morning and dropped $15.00 on a pregnancy test (no dollar stores here!).  Took it and it came back negative.  About 2 hours later I got my period.  lol.  Go figure.  I had a moderate amount of anxiety and was pretty cranky and irritable.  :(  

#97 of 105 Old 03-31-2011, 09:45 AM - Thread Starter

Day 28. 10 mg cipralex.

Very crampy period.  Ouch!  haven't had a painful period in a while.  Some periods of moderate anxiety throughout the day.  So far my period is way better than it has been though....so no complaints.

#98 of 105 Old 04-01-2011, 08:18 AM - Thread Starter

Day 29.  10 mg cipralex.

Moderate anxiety throughout day.  I'm wondering if I need a doseage increase ALL the time or if I can just increase a week before my period and go back down to 10 mg after my period??  I don't know.  I have a doctors appointment in a couple of weeks, so I'll chat with her then.

#99 of 105 Old 04-02-2011, 08:45 AM - Thread Starter

Day 30.  10 mg cipralex.

Good day.  

#100 of 105 Old 04-03-2011, 10:12 AM - Thread Starter

Day 31.  10 mg cipralex.

Good day.  I'm done updating for now.  I'll update if anything changes.  But for now, I'm doing waaaaay better than before.  No regrets starting the medication.  I actually wish I started taking it earlier because I missed a few big milestones in my childrens lives because I was too anxious to actually enjoy them.  But I can't go back in time, so no guilt, I will just make sure I enjoy the moments from here on out!!  If anyone has ANY questions for me, please message me because I'd be happy to answer them.

#101 of 105 Old 05-03-2011, 07:37 PM - Thread Starter

I have been gluten and dairy free for about 2 weeks now.  DS is 5 and was very upset that he had to go gluten free (and is already dairy free) so I said I'd do it with him.  Anyways, they had an activity tonight and I had to run to the store quickly before so I picked up some of those chocolate malt balls.  I brought an allergy book to read while i waited for them and I munched on the malt balls.  About 10 minutes later I had a FULL BLOWN panic attack.  Trouble breathing, burning chest, racing heart, need to use the bathroom immediately, nausea....you name it.  I rushed home, used the washroom, and bauled my eyes out.  :(  I haven't had a panic attack in over a month, more along the lines of 1 1/2 months I think!  I was reading the allergy book section on anaphalaxia, so now I'm wondering.  Did I have a panic attack because I consumed gluten for the first time in 2 weeks, or was something psychological going on with the book I was reading.  I've almost suspected I've had gluten problems before because I have canker sores in my mouth all of the time, but haven't really tried an allergy elimination diet until these 2 weeks ago.  DH went to pick the kids up for me and I layed in the bathtub and listened to some relaxing music so I'm feeling much more at ease now, just a bit taken back that I got hit with that attack.  I still have all 10 of my ativan, but I don't want to use it (not sure why not).

Any advice or input?

#102 of 105 Old 05-23-2011, 08:55 PM

Curious whether you've tried gluten/dairy since and what the results were?  My experience is that when my anxiety is not under control and there is some suggestion, my body reacts right away to it, whether it's from reading or a thought train.

#103 of 105 Old 05-24-2011, 11:39 AM

For what it's worth, I was having horrendous anxiety with physical symptoms for a while.

I found when I stopped all the sups - b12, magnesium, etc, my anxiety decreased to an imperceptible level. The difference between a year ago today and today is unreal.

#104 of 105 Old 05-29-2011, 08:10 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by alison77 View Post

Curious whether you've tried gluten/dairy since and what the results were?  My experience is that when my anxiety is not under control and there is some suggestion, my body reacts right away to it, whether it's from reading or a thought train.

I had anxiety and panic with my period, but I've been having gluten since and most days is manageable.  Going through a significant high stress time right now though, so that could be it.

#105 of 105 Old 07-02-2011, 06:22 PM

I just read this whole thread and want to say, don't get discouraged! I've tried many of the same things you have and I am now on clomipramine and doing much better. Many of the same early results with meds, almost too-good-to-be-true improvements and then some setbacks and plateaus. I think it's hard when you hold out medication as your last resort/hope (as I did) and then you finally try it, it's scary when there's even a suggestion it might not work all that well. Then what? So I do think your updates are really important. It doesn't mean you stop doing all the other things, like tweaking your diet, exercising, CBT. As a pp said, you might be in a better position to commit to those things WITH medication. I know I have been. When I was at my worst with panic (and anxiety and OCD), there was NO WAY I could calm myself down long enough to do yoga for 30 seconds and all I could make myself eat was toast and coffee (of all things). All the self-help stuff just kind of mocked me. I knew it would help if I could do it, but no way was I able to. I was too sick to help myself.

I hate anxiety. I hate all the DECADES I've lost to it. I have been to NYC for a dream trip with a friend. I remember almost nothing. I was panicked the whole time. My friend said she had a great time with me. I appeared completely "normal." I grieve for all those years.

A few weeks ago, I went with dd to a wildlife park on a field trip. I suddenly realized I was THERE. Enjoying it. I have actual memories of that day.

I hope you are doing well. There are lots of ways to play with medication and it sounds like you have a good doc. As for the "hot liquid burning," I got that with clomipramine, exactly as you describe.

One thing I told myself was that if I didn't take chemicals, my body would make them. Cortisol, for one. Damaging to my body in itself. I've been flooding my body with stress hormones since I was 8 years old.

I did take my counselor's advice and focus on high-intensity exercise. She said running was better than yoga for clearing out adrenaline from my system. I tend towards insomnia/too much (nervous) energy. She was right. Almost like fighting fire with fire.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page