Has anyone here used Celexa - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 03-15-2011, 12:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My daughter was just started on a small dose of Celexa.  I am wondering if anyone here has been on this or ever had any of their children take it.  She is in counseling and her therapist and pediatrician both felt it would be beneficial to help her 'get her head above water' so to speak, so that she will feel better in order to be able to deal with issues that are bothering her.

Any input would be appreciated, thanks.

Mom of 6 and a new grandma.  Mom to a sweet boy with autism. Jesus is the love and the light of my lifestillheart.gif
homeschool.gif ribbonjigsaw.gifgrouphug.gifreading.gifwhale.giftea6.gif

#2 of 15 Old 03-19-2011, 02:34 PM

I haven't taken Celexa specifically, but I've taken 3 different anti-depressants over the years before finding one that really that works for me.  I don't believe any anti-depressant is inherently better than the others, but each works slightly differently and sometimes it takes some experimenting to find one that is right for you.  No one else can say ahead of time whether it will be beneficial.  However, side effects to anti-depressants tend to be mild.  If your daughter has any negative changes in behavior or her physical health after starting to take the medication, report it to her doctor.  Effects are temporary, so even if it doesn't work out, it will leave her system and she can try something different.

How old is your daughter?  There has been some concern over the years of negative effects of SSRI's in teens, and I don't know much about how they would be prescribed to younger kids.  This is something you would have to discuss with her pediatrician, though.

#3 of 15 Old 03-28-2011, 01:24 PM

I'm taking it and I don't know that it helps. I'm still very anxious.
#4 of 15 Old 03-28-2011, 04:48 PM

I have been taking Celexa for about 9 months* and have had no noticeable side effects. At age 42 I'm much older than your daughter, though, so I don't know if our reactions would be at all comparable.

*Before that, I was on Lexapro for eight years - I switched to Celexa because I lost my health insurance and generic Celexa is much cheaper.
#5 of 15 Old 03-28-2011, 06:47 PM

I took 10 mg (I think?) of celexa when I was 14 for my depression/eating disorder and it made me so drowsy I could not function for quite a while until I got used to it. I was on it for about two months before my depression actually worsened and I downed the entire bottle in an attempt to end my life. That's just my experience with it, not a pleasant one.

I'd be curious to hear from others what there's was.

#6 of 15 Old 03-28-2011, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iOliver View Post

I took 10 mg (I think?) of celexa when I was 14 for my depression/eating disorder and it made me so drowsy I could not function for quite a while until I got used to it. I was on it for about two months before my depression actually worsened and I downed the entire bottle in an attempt to end my life. That's just my experience with it, not a pleasant one.

I'd be curious to hear from others what there's was.

This was my experience with Prozac as a teen, though I took it for 2 years and was on a maximum dose.  It caused one of the worst depressive periods I've had, culminating in my only suicide attempt.  Yet Prozac is among the oldest SSRI's on the market, and has worked well for many people.  It is unfair to judge an antidepressant by anecdotes only, especially since most experiences are positive.

#7 of 15 Old 03-29-2011, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kythe View Post

This was my experience with Prozac as a teen, though I took it for 2 years and was on a maximum dose.  It caused one of the worst depressive periods I've had, culminating in my only suicide attempt.  Yet Prozac is among the oldest SSRI's on the market, and has worked well for many people.  It is unfair to judge an antidepressant by anecdotes only, especially since most experiences are positive.

I had two good years on prozac as a teen but it took a sudden turn and sent me into a manic episode. After that I stopped taking meds all together and never had a problem since.

Medications are such a touch and go thing, they are worth trying for they can help even if for short periods of time it just may be that time that gets you back on your feet. They just really need to be monitored closely, not be given out on a script without being checked up on regularly throughout that time.

#8 of 15 Old 03-30-2011, 07:45 PM

i take cipralex, which I believe is very similar to celexa.  I journal  my experiences in a thread here that you can peek at.  I'm having good experiences so far with it.  How is your daughter doing?

#9 of 15 Old 03-31-2011, 05:58 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks to everyone for your replies.

My daughter only took the celexa for 2 days.  It made her feel very irritable and angry, so we stopped it.  They have prescribed a small dose of prozac now, not sure if we will try that or not.  The precautions state that if the person is under the age of 25 it can make things worse instead of better!

I am pretty certain she has PMDD.  I will be talking with our pediatrician, our naturopath and also the therapist to see what they think.

Mom of 6 and a new grandma.  Mom to a sweet boy with autism. Jesus is the love and the light of my lifestillheart.gif

#10 of 15 Old 03-31-2011, 05:58 AM - Thread Starter

I would like to read what you shared!  Will be back later, thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by babygrant View Post

i take cipralex, which I believe is very similar to celexa.  I journal  my experiences in a thread here that you can peek at.  I'm having good experiences so far with it.  How is your daughter doing?

#11 of 15 Old 03-31-2011, 06:00 AM - Thread Starter

I forgot to mention here that my daughter is only 12, that's why we've been very hesitant to put her on a medication.  She hit puberty early and really gets slammed with her periods.

#12 of 15 Old 03-31-2011, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebecca2009 View Post

I forgot to mention here that my daughter is only 12, that's why we've been very hesitant to put her on a medication.  She hit puberty early and really gets slammed with her periods.

Have you read the Life with PMDD thread???  lots of good info there.  Some are on meds, some are on supplements, but lots of good info!

#13 of 15 Old 03-31-2011, 01:06 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by babygrant View Post

Have you read the Life with PMDD thread???  lots of good info there.  Some are on meds, some are on supplements, but lots of good info!

Oh thanks!  I was hoping to find something like that here.

#14 of 15 Old 04-13-2011, 11:29 AM

Rebecca! Have you tried Evening Primrose Oil? Saved my life around 14. Helped me settle down, reduced my PMDD dramatically. Also, I was supplemented with BellaDonna. But, not sure dosage or anything else, was years ago.

Learning to be a one income family. Learning to be a mama. Living with lots of heartbeat.gif

#15 of 15 Old 04-13-2011, 02:43 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you!  I will definitely ask my naturopathic doctor about this. 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page