Anyone with mental illness and family understanding??? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 04-22-2011, 10:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I have moderate OCD, don't take medication and try as best as I can to deal with it naturally.  I know what my triggers are and try to avoid them whenever I can.  I guess you could say the OCD is controlled as best as it can be, however, it's far from perfect.  I remember when I was in therapy the psychologist would always remind me I will always struggle with this disorder, but having strategies will help to deal with the rough times.  I've accepted this and try to live to the best of my ability and in harmony with my dh, ds, and other family.  The huge problem is my parents and sister (who all take some type of med for mental illness) all seem to have it out for me since I have OCD.  Recently, my dad called me narcissistic, disrespectful, and asked "I thought you were over this OCD...when's it going to end!"  These comments are eating away at me and making me feel so horrible...all because I have a disorder that isn't my fault - this'll never go away just be controlled.  I have no idea how to deal with this, with my parents and sister.  I feel like I don't even want to talk to them without a moderator right there.  How does everyone deal with getting family members to understand and be a little more empathetic...

Kate, Wife to DH and Mommy to a 5yo lovin' DS; three angels 4/08 9/08 3/10 in Heaven,
waitin' for my baby

#2 of 2 Old 04-23-2011, 09:18 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Unfortunately mental health has always been difficult to have others understand - even if they themselves have some kind of mental illness.

You need to focus on what you can control. You can not control what they say, do or think, only your reaction to it. Educating them regarding the condition can help, but really it falls on deaf ears if they have already decided not to listen.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page