A body issue or a mental issue - how do I know, where do I start? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 07-04-2011, 01:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I think of my body and my brain as interrelated and both being affected by my overall health, but now I do not know where to start to speed up my healing.

I gave birth to my 3rd two months ago. Pregnancy was harder than the previous ones, especially emotionally. I am normally quite a gentle mama, practising NVC to the best of my ability, but while pregnant I snapped at my kids on a regular basis, felt tired often - but hoped I'd feel better after the baby was born.

I feel worse. 

I have never felt so easily irritated, so furious so often as I do nowadays. I even experienced waking up feeling furious as my first feeling. How is that possible?

I feel ready to start to help my self and refill my energy. But I am wondering how to tackle this. 

I get out every day. I have started working out again. We eat quite traditional with as much organic as possible and as little processed foods as possible, lots of raw milk, protein and veggies, green smothies and many supplements as recommended in "Nourishing traditions", like fermented cod liver oil, butter oil etc. We have eaten like this for a few years now.

I don't know whether I have PPD or one of the many conditions I have read about here, like adrenal fatigue? A liver that needs cleansing? So, where should I start? How can I know whether it is my body that needs healing or more of a mental issue? I have tried counselling before, it did not help much. I feel that I have improved my mental health much more by self study, through all the attachment parenting books and the non violent communication books I have read and slowly but steadily applied to our lives.

But some days I feel that I need to see someone professional.

Where would you start?

Happy mama to DD 04 and 08 April 2011
#2 of 3 Old 07-05-2011, 10:41 AM

hug2.gif mama. I don't know much, but IMO, I would go see a professional. You're already doing a lot of the stuff I'd suggest, and because I imagine you're nursing, I wouldn't mess around too much with anything beyond that without some guidance. I'd probably start with some basic blood tests, personally, and talk to someone about possible PPD. I know for me, my depression manifests as anger most of the time, so I would think that could still be a form of PPD. 

I hope you get more advice here and the help you need where you are!

Melissa, a homeschooling, caffix.gif-guzzling, SAHM of two: reading.gif (11) and joy.gif(8)
#3 of 3 Old 07-05-2011, 11:30 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks melissel!

Yes - I am nursing. Have been continuously for the last 7 years (3 kids). You're right, I need to know that I am not messing things up when it comes to nursing. I am avoiding detoxing for that reason. Thanks again for your support and the hug!

Happy mama to DD 04 and 08 April 2011

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page