really? it's that easy? (overcoming depression) - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 07-13-2011, 12:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i'm really frustrated by many of these articles detailing how to overcome depression...my question is - how do I get started?!

I am totally on board with what they recommend and would love to do it all...exercise, yoga, meditation, good sleep, eating well...but...I really feel that my depression prevents me from taking the first steps to get started.

just wondering if anyone else feels the same, or has recommendations on how to get my butt off the couch.

I am seeing a therapist and that helps, but not enough.

thoughts?
#2 of 7 Old 07-13-2011, 12:24 PM

hi coop-mom,

I've been dealing with depression since I sprouted breasts (no correlation, I don't think!). 

Depression is paralyzing first and foremost. I don't know if yours is ppd or if you've been living with it for a long time, but I'll tell you what I do and maybe it will help??

True thoughts: depression is like some sort of mental addiction - lousy thoughts are easily held onto and positive thoughts are as transient as vapor.

1) In the morning I tell myself true thoughts: I don't hate myself. I'm not 'stuck' here. I am LOVED. My husband and my baby boy and my family see worth in me and adore me. 

2) When I find myself obsessing over negative issues I stop myself as soon as I can (sometimes that's 2 hours of self-loathing, sometimes it's 4 minutes) and BREATH. and say "LET IT GO" I hear my negative thoughts. I argue against them. I remind myself of my hormonal imbalances. I remind myself that the more I give into each battle the more difficult it becomes for me to fight the next one. 

3) I'm also hypoglycemic so sometimes my nerves are easily calmed with a spoon of peanut butter and a glass of milk...

It's hard to get out.

I fight feeling pathetic simply because I feel no strong passion for anything anymore. I struggle with a healthy sense of self and I'm fighting off an eating disorder... the easiest thing for me is to focus on hours of the day. For the time being, I'm trying very hard to live in the present and try to get through the day.

Running helps when I'm dealing with rage, but getting out there is NEVER easy.

Not sure if I helped, but if you need to vent I'm definitely here to listen. 

covert crunchy wife to guitar.gif & mama to DSbabyf.gif02/11. Dreaming of travelling the earth.gif as soon as we catch up on some sleeping.gif

#3 of 7 Old 07-13-2011, 04:01 PM - Thread Starter

thank you for sharing deepfeet, it really helps to hear from people who are living through this as well

I don't have ppd, my son is turning 5 in August, but I do have some serious health issues that complicate things somewhat

If I could sit home on the couch all day eating bon bons, that would probably be my top choice, though typing out that sentence makes me realize just how lame that sounds greensad.gif

I think DH and I are going to try and work on both of our depressions together...hopefully it helps.
#4 of 7 Old 07-15-2011, 10:09 AM

I totally understand. I go through periods of complete inactivity. For instance, this has been a really bad week for me and there has been much internet surfing/tv watching by me and my kids. Which I feel terrible about. It is true, though, if I MAKE myself get out of the house (go to the playground, gym, library, visit a friend, ...)I do feel much better. It's like that saying, a rolling stone gathers no moss. The hardest thing to do is to just get moving. I feel like I am trying to allow myself to have those times when I do nothing and to not feel guilty about it. Also, the more I isolate myself from others (physically as well as emotionally) I tend to spiral downward. So I do try and see friends on a regular basis.

Also, I find that when I'm eating well, taking supplements, etc I feel better too, but that is also difficult to do when you are feeling crappy to begin with. I guess for me this depression thing is such a cycle and it always has been. I'm wondering if that is just the way my life will always be and I just need to come to terms with it? I don't know. I wish I had a better answer for you. hug.gif

DS 7 ~ DS 3

#5 of 7 Old 07-15-2011, 11:31 AM

I would pick jsut one thing. Fro example. one type of exersise. LEt say, Siwmming or Jogging on Tuesday and Thursday.

Withou any goals or expectation just show up and do it. Even if you swim jsut 3 laps, or run for jsut 10 mins, that is not the point. The point is that you did it.  You will notice, that slwoly, over few weeks, you body and mind will start liking it and demand more. you follow.

Starting several things at ones, even good things, is hard and not very susessfull. Baby steps.  You can do it.

#6 of 7 Old 07-18-2011, 06:48 PM

I recommend the book "Unstuck" by James Gordon.  It's been really helpful.

intactivist.gif  ribbonpb.gif RN student, bellycast.gif birth doula since 2006
#7 of 7 Old 08-14-2011, 09:43 PM

I'm not sure exactly what articles you are referring to, but if it really was that easy, there wouldn't be so many millions of us with depression, would there?  What I find frustrating is that a lot of articles/books are written from people who have never "been there", and truly can't know what it's like.  For some of us, all the things you mention aren't enough, and medication needs to be an option.  I don't know what your feelings on pharmaceuticals are, but for me I needed it to get me over that initial "stuck" feeling, and to give me enough energy to get started in the right direction.

Tired mama to my wild childenergy.gif ribbluyel.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page