Weaning off psychopharms - what supplements should I take? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-25-2011, 08:37 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I am weaning off of Abilify and Lexapro.  I've been really stable and not depressed or hypomanic for a year now.  I used to have severe panic attacks with agoraphobia and I've not had anything close to even minor panic for a very long time.   Unfortunately I've also gained a lot of weight and had a lot of blood sugar issues.  I've also felt kind of flat and blah at times and had other symptoms that make me feel over medicated even though I am taking a low dose of each.  

The doc thinks the blood sugar issues are from the Abilify and the psychiatrist agrees and thinks it's a good idea if I try to wean off my meds before I develop full blown diabetes.  I have been in therapy for years (at times intensive) and both the therapist and the psychiatrist think I've made great progress with CBT.

I have been gluten free for a few months and I am hoping that will help keep the depression away.  (I have celiac disease but I know gluten can also be a factor in depression for some folks.)  I am also taking fish oil and B vitamins.  

Is there anything else I should be doing to support good mental health?  I don't want to take St Johns Wort or anything that treats depression (at least not yet) because I am not depressed - I am thinking more of things that will nourish and support? 

flowersforyou.gif

User Tag List