ADDers - tips?? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-28-2011, 04:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I'm extremely ADD. If I'm interested in something, I excel. If it doesn't interest me, I struggle a lot. Anything that helps you? Methods, herbs, ADD-helpful organization ideas, etc..

- Emy . Single mom to DS nut.gif Ezra (15.12.05), angel2.gif Thames (reincarnated 18.04.08) and DD rainbow1284.gif babyf.gif Allora (11.02.11) and dog2.gif Hoppylactivist.gif  novaxnocirc.gif  waterbirth.jpg fambedsingle2.gif bfinfant.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-21-2011, 11:03 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Are you looking for advice on how to do the stuff that doesn't interest you?  I wish I knew the magic answer to that!  I have found since starting taking meds for my ADHD I am more inclined to do the boring stuff but it is still a struggle.  I do make lists, lots of lists!  I find having things written down helps me to stay on track.  I also bribe myself with things like "if you get this dull pile of paperwork done you can watch an episode of Criminal Minds online".

Also, and I hate to admit this because I'm terrible at acheiving it, but if my house is clean and tidy I am much more able to get stuff done without distraction.  Getting to that state in my house is rare though (and generally only if we are hosting a party) so I try to maintain small areas of tidiness and that seems to help.

Hopefully someone with that magic answer will come along because I wish I knew the secret!

Martha

Old 09-21-2011, 07:51 PM

ITA. A clean house helps loads, and I use lists and charts and incentives with myself like I were a toddler.

I'll make a cute sticker chart or something and keep it inside my closet so no one sees it. I get like a sticker for each day I do something, or step toward a goal...with small rewards along the way and a big one at the end. Like, I'm editing a book series that dd is self publishing. I've broken the larger project into each book, and each book into specific tasks that need doing. I get a sticker/stamp/cross off each task when I finish it. When I finish all the tasks for a phase of a book, I get a small reward (bottled Mexican coke - I have weak teeth so don't typically do sodas). When I finish a whole book, I get a medium reward (I buy/make a sugary dessert for the family. we usually only do those on special occasions). When I finish the whole project, we're all going out to a movie in the theater together. It's a joint project w dd, and we'll be celebrating as a family, but it doesn't have to be a totally selfish incentive to motivate me.

I set up habits and systems in my life that would make no sense to the outside world...like I can't go to bed unless the dishes are done - and my incentive is the kids wellbeing (one of my best motivators). See, the kids have to put the dishes away in the morning before they have breakfast. If I don't get those dishes washed with plenty of time to dry, my kids will go hungry!

Think I'm crazy all you want...my kitchen is clean, darnit!

Affordable organics delivered from GREEN POLKADOT BOX

Wife to jammin.gif Beast 

Mama to guitar.gif Crash (14) and hippie.gifSpritely (12)

Old 09-22-2011, 06:44 AM

I JUST CAME TO POST THIS!!! Exactly. bbl to read and reply.

mdcblog5.gifsaynovax.giffambedsingle2.gifhomebirth.jpg

Old 09-22-2011, 07:15 AM

I have a terrible time keeping up with my house. It's like it is horribly out of my hands... to much for me to handle. I am not officially diagnosed at this time but have been diagnosed in the past. So right now I am not under treatment. I am going to ask for testing at my next appointment.  I find I have to distract myself all the time.... with reading, computer, etc just to not feel like I am going to jump out of my skin. I can't stay calm very long and I can't finish tasks that I start. I get overwhelmed extremely easy and can only stay focused  on very short periods of time... ie 5 min till things overwhelm me and it get s to much and I feel very nervous and anxious.

Old 09-30-2011, 05:08 PM

anyone out there?

Old 09-30-2011, 07:59 PM

i have a terrible time keeping organized and not losing things concentrating on things that dont interest me. and staying on task I always jump from 1 thing to another when trying to clean house before finshing first thing.

it is hard.

Mom to K(7)M(4)and baby J(2)cold.gifhh2.gif
:

User Tag List