Natural Remedies for Borderline Personality Disorder? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 09-22-2011, 01:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I have a friend who was just diagnosed with borderline personality disorder.  She prefers to remain untreated than go with pharmaceuticals.

So first off any suggestions for natural treatments or types of practitioners she can look into?

And secondly any encouraging words I could pass on about more standard methods of treatment?

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

#2 of 8 Old 09-23-2011, 10:32 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

There's no medication specifically for BPD, but she may have been prescribed mood stabilizers to help with the symptoms.  I can certainly understand her not wanting to take pharmaceuticals, though.  Is she in therapy?  People with BPD often do really well with the right kind of therapy - preferably a combination of individual and group treatment.  The group therapy is so that they can learn and practice social skills.  As far as alternative treatments, she could take a good look at her diet and exercise habits and do some research on natural mood stabilizers.  Regular exercise should probably be her best friend.  Also there's been some research studies lately that show that omega-3's can be as effective as SSRI's for depression.  She could increase her intake of fish, walnuts, etc. or take supplements like krill oil, for example.  B-vitamins, as well, are associated with stable neurological functioning.  She should probably avoid alcohol like the plague.  There's probably a lot more she could do naturally, as well.  I find myself going to mercola.com a lot, when I'm trying to find a natural remedy for something.  Hope that helps or at least gives you/her a place to start!  Good luck to her, I know it's hard to get a diagnosis like that, but it can be freeing as well, because when you know what's wrong you can do something about it.  hug2.gif

Fruitful4Him likes this.

Jen, mom of  two amazing girls, b. 2/16/06  and 1/29/10 hbac.gif

#3 of 8 Old 09-23-2011, 04:27 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Thanks.  I will pass this information on to her. 

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

#4 of 8 Old 09-25-2011, 06:17 PM

The best natural treatment for borderline personality disorder is DBT, or dialectical behavioral therapy. It is highly effective. Your friend might benefit from taking medication for symptoms during her early time in therapy, as it can be very overwhelming to work on deep issues in the beginning, but that's something her therapist can assess and determine if she needs to see a psychiatrist for dual care. She might be able to stabilize herself and get to a functional level then where she might not need the medication anymore and can continue her DBT treatment on an ongoing basis to continue making progress.

Fruitful4Him likes this.

First came partners.gif then cat.gif then another cat.gif and then babygirl.gif (11/11)
#5 of 8 Old 09-28-2011, 06:08 AM

I have been diagnosed with BPD for 12 years now, only found out about it recently and 're-diagnosed' with it.

Thing is, no one will medicate me as I am so 'unstable', (jeez), I have been in and out of therapy since I was 12. I have tried all sorts of things. I am pretty sure I suffer from bipolar as well.

Anti depressants make me manic, mood stabilisers make me depressed, no one wants to try them together. I am going in for MORE therapy tomorrow for a course lasting 12 weeks, then ANOTHER course after that and then I will be put on a (18 month long) waiting list for one to one therapy......... Its the NHS..........

Nothing seems to help, I have tried fish oils, tried st. johns wort, exercise, hypnosis, art therapy, various talking therapies, various herbal remedies and on and on it goes and NOTHING works for me.

I just don't know what to do anymore. I am obviously going to do this course a) because I hope it will have some effect, b) because if I don't do it they assume I am not willing to help myself, so I do all the things I am told and c) the psychologist running it is seriously cute.

I am just tired of all the crap that goes with this damned diagnosis, I am tired of my family having to put up with it, I am tired of therapy that doesn't seem to work for me, I am tired of my 'female hormones' always being brought up by psychiatrists, I am tired of every damned aspect of my mental health and I am tired of not being believed about the bipolar........... (I get severely depressed, can have periods where I am kinda normal and also have periods where I am quite clearly manic, thing is, cos the psychiatrists have only really been involved recently, they haven't seen it, I know at the moment my mood is good and heading up which isn't good).

I can't afford private care so am stuck with the NHS........... There has to be something out there that helps?????

#6 of 8 Old 09-28-2011, 06:10 AM

OK, looking at DBT it would seem this is what this course is going to be about but its called something else, but essentially, its all stuff I have done in the past.

Is there anything else???

#7 of 8 Old 07-25-2012, 12:14 AM

It does'nt fully cure bpd, But 5 HTP helps me some. It helps to produce more serotonin in your brain. You can find it at Walamart =)

#8 of 8 Old 08-13-2013, 08:21 AM

I use DBT with with equine therapy VERY successfully!
Please find an equine assisted mental health practitioner near you smile.gif
You can look at the PATH Intl website to find one. Or one that has a program like mine : dreampowertherapy.org
Good luck & God bless
Quote:
Originally Posted by tireesix View Post

OK, looking at DBT it would seem this is what this course is going to be about but its called something else, but essentially, its all stuff I have done in the past.

Is there anything else???

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page