5HTP *causing* anxiety/OCD in child? Tell me what you know! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 09-28-2011, 03:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'll try to be brief, but there's a long history so please forgive me!

My son will be 7 in December.  He's had an anxious personality since he was born.  Would not go to anyone but me, including his father, until he was about 4!  He has slowly improved since then and expanded his circle of people he was comfortable with to include our in-laws.  He also has tried more foods, as he was also scared of eating new things.  But he was still highly anxious in certain situations- like when I tried to sign him up for homeschool soccer or a clay class.  He was excited for both, but once there, he was shaking, weeping uncontrollably, hiding, etc.  He also occasonally had episodes of pollakiuria, which is frequent urination without a physical cause.  Stress is the suspected reason.

We have always gone slowly with him and tried not to get frustrated, but at that point, I felt bad for him that the anxiety was interfering with things he said he would have liked to do.  On the advice of our MD and her NP, we started to give him Neurocalm near the end of July.  If the link doesn't work for you, it has GABA, 5HTP, l-theanine, chamomile, taurine, inositol, phosphatidyl serine, pyridoxyl, B-6 & B-12, magnesium.

After about 4 weeks, our homeschool center started classes up for the fall.  There were a couple that he was interested in, and after a few minutes of anxiety, he went in.  It was an unprecedented success!  He loves his classes and has gone ever since.  He started to try food that he had never eaten in his life!  The pollakiuria disappeared!  We were obviously thrilled.

He'd been on it about 6 weeks when, out of the blue, he started saying very strange things.  Opposite of his personality things.  He's usually very kind, compassionate, & loving.  He started telling me that 'his mind' was saying that: he didn't love me or anyone in the family (ouch).  He wanted us to feel sad. He didn't feel sorry if he upset or hurt someone.  He started waking in the night and needing help to go back to sleep. He was seeing visions of his father beaten up and bloody, or shot to death by someone else- and that he was there laughing, and feeling like it was a good thing.  Yesterday he started saying he himself wanted to kill his 2 year old brother, and he didn't feel like it would be a bad thing.

At times when he told me these things he was crying, panicking hysterically and saying "make it stop!"  Other times, he was very matter of fact about what he was saying.  Either way, he has been showing none of his usual empathy.

We talked to the doctor, and she had him tested for Lyme disease and bartonella on Friday because she said a sudden change like this points to an infection.  We STILL don't have the results, hopefully tomorrow.  She also said maybe the l-theanine could be doing something weird to him, and recommended we change to just a B complex and the same amount (50 mg) of 5HTP, which we did starting Monday.

If it's not Lyme, we've been saying- how did this happen, for him to suddenly go out of his mind?  But now I'm thinking- has he been overdosed on 5HTP all this time?  Is it the *cause* of all of this?  I had researched it in the beginning and everything said it was so safe.  But now I have been searching with some different terms, and I've come up with some stories of it bringing on the exact symptoms it's meant to fix.  And I know that kids' bodies are different from adults and can react really oddly when it comes to 'drugs'.

We are stopping it regardless, since it's clearly not helping him right now.  Last night was his last dose.  Any thoughts/experiences are greatly appreciated! 

~*Kristi*~
Tallulah Dare 8-01,  Marcos Gael 12-04, Cormac Mateo 9-09, Leonidas Ronan 11-11

#2 of 6 Old 10-20-2011, 07:08 PM

I think generally the 5HTP could cause seretonin overdose which would make him feel sick etc.

My honest opinion is at this point you need to make an appoitment with a child phychiatrist, if for no other reason than to get him some help for his crippling anxiety. Having anxiety myself I would never wish that on a child.

It's complicated.
#3 of 6 Old 12-19-2011, 01:44 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you.  It turned out that my son tested positive for Lyme Disease, and that is causing the bizarre neurological symptoms he has.  We're treating it but it's a long road.

~*Kristi*~
Tallulah Dare 8-01,  Marcos Gael 12-04, Cormac Mateo 9-09, Leonidas Ronan 11-11

#4 of 6 Old 12-20-2011, 06:52 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

Thank goodness your child has such a wise and strong mama to help him find his path to healing.

wash.gif  Me  + bikenew.gif Dh =  broc1.gif  Dd1(9 yrs) + hearts.gif  Dd2(6 yrs) and blowkiss.gif Ds(3.5 yrs)
#5 of 6 Old 10-24-2012, 03:01 PM

I'm curious how your son is doing now that he's being treated for Lyme disease.  My son has what is called "Pandas" - pediatric neuropsychiatric disorder associated with strep.  Basically he becomes a completely different child when exposed to strep despite having none of the traditional signs of strep such as sore throat or fever.  What you described can also be describing Pandas and it's common for other disorders to trigger the Pandas as well.  We haven't tested for Lyme disease since we know he's usually strep positive when he has another "episode" but will try to do that next time we go to the lab.  I just wanted to know if you're son is improving with the treatment for lyme disease.  take care and I hope things are better for  you and your son.

#6 of 6 Old 11-09-2012, 05:24 AM

How do you give a child a supplement like this? I think my anxious child might benefit...do you put it in juice? how much?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page