Trying to help someone with Schizophrenia - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 10-06-2011, 05:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Have you ever tried to help someone with schizophrenia?

I have a friend who had a psychotic break about a year ago.  He is homeless now, un-medicated and does not believe that there is anything wrong with him.  He just believes he is special. His ex won't let him see the kids anymore unless he gets treatment.  I've finally tracked him down after several weeks of looking for him downtown.  I have seen him the past two days and I armed him with some food and warm clothes and shoes as the winter is about to set in.  I talked to him a long time today about what has been going on with him and I talked about other people I have worked with who have voices and how they have gotten help.  I felt like he was almost on the verge of being willing to go with me to find a treatment center, but then at the last minute backed out. 

I'm just wondering if anyone has ever dealt with someone like this and what your experiences have been...what approaches have worked and what hasn't?

Student nurse Mamma to Kaylum (3/01/2007) and wife to computer nerd DH .

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 10-10-2011, 01:53 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)

Keep seeing him and don't stop asking.  Be a constant,  he will appreciate that.  Don't get too emotionally sucked in and don't be mad at him for not going.  He will eventually go.  Or maybe... just maybe he's happy where he's at.  I know it sounds odd, since it's not the norm of other peoples behaviors. 

#3 of 4 Old 10-10-2011, 04:15 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Thanks :)  That's the plan.  His kids were at my house this weekend so I had them make some drawings for him and told them that I would give them to him.  So now I am trying to coordinate a meeting to give him those.  I'm hoping that playing on the important things to him that are in everyone's reality and not just his. 

I think I'm doing a pretty good job of not getting emotionally involved so far..other than worrying that he's getting his basic needs met such as food, shelter, water and staying warm this winter.  I am hoping that he will keep up the willingness to see me and I can help keep tabs on those basics at least.

Anyway, thanks for the feedback :)

Student nurse Mamma to Kaylum (3/01/2007) and wife to computer nerd DH .

#4 of 4 Old 10-10-2011, 05:53 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)

No problem.  Mental illness is pretty close to my heart.  I know now that just being there can mean so much more.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page