Probably starting Lamictal...do I have to wean my 7 month old? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 12-08-2011, 09:07 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I have been struggling with my bipolar illness and have made the decision to go back on Lamictal to prevent/postpone another episode of mixed state that I recently suffered from.

I am nursing my 7 month old frequently, although he has started on solids a bit.  I have a strong feeling that the p-doc will advise me to wean. However, I don't think I can do it yet. I am just not ready, and frankly my DS  hates formula (we've tried several).

I've seen some data on nursing mothers who were taking Lamictal during pregnancy or started in pregnancy, but none on mothers who would start when the infant is so old. Does anyone have any advice I can bring to my pdoc? It wouldn't be a seizure treatment dose of 800 mg or so, it would be much smaller, 200-250 mg daily total.

Thank you, I really dread weaning so early and now that I am in a normal mood and usually only cycle 1x a year I am tempted choose not being on medication than weaning. However, I know that's irresponsible.

Edit: I did see the lamictal/ablify post below...but it's not quite my same situation.

Moderately crunchy breastfeeding babywearing no circ fully vaccinating mama to DS born May 2011

#2 of 4 Old 12-09-2011, 08:56 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

I don't have any advice to give to your psychiatrist, she/he truly is the expert here; they're all about how meds affect the body.  Lamictal passes through breastmilk into the baby. Lamictal can cause a deadly rash, which children are more susceptible to than adults are. However, you're right, the therapeutic dose for you would be at the lower end, which means even less would pass into your baby.

You are the one who makes the decision.  Let your doctor give you the facts and then weigh what's most important to you. 

Also, choosing to continue nursing over taking the lamictal, when you are cycling average once a year, does not seem irresponsible to me.  It seems like a calculated risk. 

Lamictal pros: healthier, more stable mom.  Nursing pros: happy, satisfied mom and baby. 

Someone moved my effing cheese.
#3 of 4 Old 12-17-2011, 03:37 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I've been taking 100mg of Lamictal since 2nd trimester of pregnancy and it's been great so far. I would tell your doctor that you would much rather not wean your infant because you believe there are many more benefits than downfalls to continue breastfeeding. Any negative effects on a fetus or infant are very controversial. Some doctors believe it may cause harm and some are totally unconcerned but knowledgeable. I say if you get a negative response from your doctor about it, switch doctors. I'll see what I can find on the subject of nursing and starting Lamictal past the newborn period.

Edited to add this link: http://epilepsy.emedtv.com/lamictal/lamictal-and-breastfeeding.html

#4 of 4 Old 01-01-2012, 03:01 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)

I know this thread is a bit old, but I wanted to add this here for future search purposes.  Usually, p-docs are NOT experts on meds safe for Bfing.  Check this out:  http://www.infantrisk.com/  This is sort of the definitive source for this type of info.

OP, my sister refused to wean and found safe meds for her Borderline PD.  Best wishes to you!

Bring back the old MDC

Tags
Mental Health

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page