borderline personality disorder vs. bipolar II cyclothymia - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 01-05-2012, 04:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

my therapist seems to be gravitating more towards bipolar talk and away from BPD. if i mention it, she just seems to ignore it and goes to the bipolar questions ie. have you ever been Dx'd w/ bipolar? etc. is there some sort of new policy that has therapists doing this or is this something else? what's weird to me is she specializes in DBT/EMDR and marsha linehan's work. maybe she doesn't believe in BPD anymore? or maybe they can't Dx that anymore? confused. to me, this is habitual, more para-alcoholism/addictism and is situationally-caused reactions vs. chemical imbalance causing my moods to just change.

#2 of 4 Old 01-13-2012, 05:06 PM

My therapist says they are moving way from the Dx of BPD, and they are going to start saying people have 'borderline traits'.  I've aslo found that some therapists are not very familiar with BPD and don't really know what to do with that. 

Student nurse Mamma to Kaylum (3/01/2007) and wife to computer nerd DH .

#3 of 4 Old 01-13-2012, 05:36 PM

Honestly, I think I was diagnosed with BPD because I had SO many various traits that they just didn't know what to do with me.  Schizo-affective, OCD, depression, intermittent explosive disorder, severe anxiety, and the laundry list goes on.  BPD seemed to be a good IDKWTF she has so let's just slap on a label and call it a day.

Monica - single mama to DS nono02.gifand DD blowkiss.gif

#4 of 4 Old 02-06-2012, 01:25 PM

I think they try to not give it quickly- my therapist always forgot what I had- cause she had so many patients.... have her show you the DSM and look at both lists together and figure it out.

mdcblog5.gifsaynovax.giffambedsingle2.gifhomebirth.jpg

Tags
Mental Health

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page