Any tips for weaning off psych meds? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 03-01-2012, 06:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi! I am almost 25 weeks pregnant with my second kid. I've been on Cymbalta this whole time for issues with anxiety and OCD. Please do not flame me for being on psych meds while pregnant; it has been approved by all my health care professionals and is/was very needed.

I've been feeling more stable lately and would like to attempt to wean off Cymbalta for the third trimester, so as to avoid the more common "issues" that babies can experience soon after birth (breathing issues etc.) I am aware that the chance of this is slight, but I'd still like to try to do my best for my baby. If I just end up on a lower dose instead of weaning completely off, I'm fine with that too.

Anyway, I am going to be doing this under the care and advice of my psychiatrist, but I was wondering if anyone had any helpful tips that might make the process a little easier. I would very much appreciate it!

Thank you!

Alicewyf knit.gif , wife to DH reading.gif and mama to toddler Lillian energy.gif (7/09)!

***4***8***12***16***20***24***28***32***36**stork-boy.gif40

Prayerfully expecting our little BOY in June of 2012! And so excited to be cd.gif and bfinfant.gifagain!

#2 of 8 Old 03-02-2012, 09:26 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Hi Alice, I remember you from the June DDC before I lost my son. Congrats on making it this far and on having a boy! I had a boy too.

I'm not on Cymbalta so I can't help you with that specific med. I just wanted to express support for your struggle and I hope you get some good advice from your doctor. I'm on Welbutrin and concerned about its effects on pregnancy and miscarriage. I posted on an earlier thread but no one responded.

I hope the rest of your pregnancy goes well and you have your little boy in your arms come June!

Wife to DH for 17 years, Mom to 4 girls (15, 13, 12 and 9 months), 2 boys (11, 7), and (13 wk mc 4/10/11), (13 week mc 12/12/11). (11 wk mc 6/25/14)
#3 of 8 Old 03-03-2012, 05:21 PM - Thread Starter

I'm so sorry you lost your child. I have heard many many negative things about Welbutrin (though that doesn't necessarily mean it is totally bad if it works well for your mental health symptoms). If you want more info feel free to PM me. I hope you can find a solution that works for you soon. hug2.gif

Alicewyf knit.gif , wife to DH reading.gif and mama to toddler Lillian energy.gif (7/09)!

Prayerfully expecting our little BOY in June of 2012! And so excited to be cd.gif and bfinfant.gifagain!

#4 of 8 Old 03-08-2012, 03:32 PM

My advice is to wean very slowly and stay stable on each dose a little at a time.  Particularly as you don't know if you are going to be able to get totally off of the medication, this may help you find the lowest effective dose.  I have found that I am able to function well on a dose that my pdoc says should not be therapeutic, and I found that out reducing little by little (and ultimately stopping for a few months then starting again).  I am on a different medication now and have never been on cymbalta, but I would either get a pill cutter or crusher to make it easier to cut if you can cut it.  If it's little balls in a capsule like effexor, which I did a trial of last year, I reduced by taking one or two of the little tiny balls out of the capsule every day.  The kindest thing to do is to take it slow, and although your md may tell you that you can just half the dose for a week then halve again, and totally stop (which my pdoc told me to do, and I see everywhere online), this method gave me too many withdrawal symptoms. 

Good luck!!  Good for you to be trying to reduce the risk for your babe, but remember that a sane mama is very important as well, and that the biochemicals of stress also have an impact on babies in utero.  If you do reduce or go totally off, be sure to monitor yourself very closely through the rest of your pregnancy, and even more so after you give birth.

#5 of 8 Old 03-19-2012, 11:29 PM

I second the recommendation to go very slowly. I tapered off Celexa when we starting TTC under the supervision of a psychiatrist. What I did was very gradually reduce the dose by 5-10mg every two weeks. If at the end of the two week period I was having symptoms of anxiety or depression, I would remain on the same dose until I felt more stable before reducing the dose again. It took three months before I was off of Celexa completely following this method, but ultimately it was much more gentle on my body to do it slowly.

I wish you all the best!

B (27) & DH (28)
Our  arrived in Feb '13. Now expecting #2 in May '15.
#6 of 8 Old 03-28-2012, 08:03 PM

#7 of 8 Old 04-09-2012, 02:31 PM

How are you doing?  I hope it is going well and is manageable. 

I am struggling with the same issue and it is so difficult.  I am 26 weeks along and I know the last trimester is really only a short time, but it is hell. There is a lot of conflicting advice in regards to what is safe and what isn't.  I wish it was easier to navigate. 

I am looking forward to postpartum and feeling well again.

ND

Mama to 3 daughters, expecting #4chicken3.gif

#8 of 8 Old 04-09-2012, 02:52 PM - Thread Starter

I weaned from 60 mg Cymbalta to 30 mg and did very well. I had some flu-like symptoms but nothing as far as weird psychological symptoms. I will probably be going down to 20 mg tomorrow, as that is when my next psydoc appointment is. The goal is to have me completely off the meds by a month before my due date. Seems to be going well so far! I find that getting plenty of sleep is really key, as is exercise, eating right, and being social. If I hole up with a book or the internet too much I start to feel off-kilter.

Cymbalta is the capsule kind with the beads inside, so I'm not sure what I'm going to do when it is time to wean off of the 20 mg (assuming I get that far). I don't think my doctor will like the idea of taking the beads out and taking matters into my own hands, but I will if I have to, if going cold turkey off of 20 mg makes me feel crazy.

Thanks for checking up on me! M Anna, I am planning on responding to your PM, it has just been crazy busy in my life lately. I carved out some MDC time today only because my DD is sick and napping longer than usual. Hope you ladies are all doing well!

Tags
Mental Health

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page