My mother just passed away, what to do about Mother's Day - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 05-03-2012, 02:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My mother passed away 6 months ago and while we were not very close when she passed I am still dealing with it. We share the same birthday and I miss her packages in the mail and picking her a present out and sending it. I kind of want to do something for her for mothers day but I don't know what, has anyone done anything like this for their mother?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 05-04-2012, 06:34 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

I lost my mother recently too. I am planning to light a candle on her behalf and briefly talk to the kids about her. Maybe go through some pictures with them so they wont forget her completely....

#3 of 6 Old 05-06-2012, 12:39 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

hug2.gifI'm so sorry!

What about planting something? A tree, flower, even an aloe vera plant or similar that you can take with you wherever you move and is resilient. If you have anything of hers (a lock of hair, a letter written by her, etc.) you can take a small piece and bury it in the soil. 

You can pick out a gift that you would normally give her, and just put it up somewhere in the home - like if she likes books, pick out a book she would like and keep it on your shelf, or if there's a statue or something she'd like, get that and keep it on a shelf. It can be the gift for her in a sense. There are cultures where they celebrate the dead and get gifts or foods for them and just leave them out for them, even if they don't physically receive it, they believe the spirit receives the essence of it (or something similar along those lines). 

Think of some ideas, what you think would help you and would honour her well, something she would have appreciated. It doesn't matter if you think it might sound "stupid" because it's not - it's for you and your healing, and it's for her as well (whether your beliefs are that her spirit knows, or simply in her memory).

I think it's wonderful that you want to do something. 
stillheart.gif

- Emy . Single mom to DS nut.gif Ezra (15.12.05), angel2.gif Thames (reincarnated 18.04.08) and DD rainbow1284.gif babyf.gif Allora (11.02.11) and dog2.gif Hoppylactivist.gif  novaxnocirc.gif  waterbirth.jpg fambedsingle2.gif bfinfant.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

#4 of 6 Old 05-06-2012, 01:46 PM

You could make a contribution to a charity that supports mothers in her memory.
#5 of 6 Old 05-07-2012, 09:24 AM

THis is a great question, I'm in the same boat.  Hugs. May we all weather through this with grace.

#6 of 6 Old 05-07-2012, 12:08 PM - Thread Starter

thank you for the ideas. I think I will plant some aloe and get her a gift. heartbeat.gif

Tags
Mental Health

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page