Depression/Anxiety Support Thread--How are you doing today? - Page 3 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#61 of 70 Old 09-20-2012, 09:10 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Given that you have to pay for a relationship with your therapist good for you for walking out! Most people are too afraid. I'm glad you took care of yourself.

My advice may not be appropriate for you. That's ok. You are just fine how you are and I am the right kind of me.

#62 of 70 Old 09-22-2012, 09:19 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by montanamomof3 View Post

lilgreen you could always have your son at least talk with the school counselor.....

keep your head up lilgreen.  i promise things will get better even though it might never seem that way.  one thing i have to say is to keep a very accurate journal of when, where, and what your stbx says or does......

Thank you. They need both parents to consent for him to see the school counselor. I spoke candidly with the principal who is a wonderful woman who also has gone through a divorce with three children and she said she will try to figure something out, but she can't promise more than regular check-ins with my two oldest kids - essentially, just asking them how they are doing.

I have been logging a lot of stuff on this site and with my therapist. I have a lot of it written and documented somewhere. But I really took your advice to heart and wrote down a conversation that at first I didn't think anything of, but now I'm glad I did because it's very manipulative now that I think about it. Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by justmama View Post

As for me, I had a tough week.  I had a fight with my therapist and I refuse to go back to him because I really just think the chemistry isn't right between us.  I didn't feel like I've gotten much from him in the last 6 months and I dread going and I basically ended up walking out mid-session last week.  So for the last week I've deal with the anxiety of that and wondering what my psychiatrist would say today about it.  I love her so much.  She was supportive.  Incredibly so.  And she gets me.  It puts me at ease, which feels amazing.  She always makes sure to tidy her office before I get there so I can focus on our conversations instead of mess and she doesn't make me feel like a crazy person.  And she sees how hard it is for me to come in to the office with a doctor phobia which is huge.  She told me today that she wasn't sure if I'd keep my appt after what happened with my therapist so she's really proud of me for being brave and for not avoiding the situation which is something I would have done 6 months ago.  That made me feel really good like I took control for a minute over the anxiety ya know?  So I'm taking a therapy break for a month and switching my meds and upping the dose aggressively and we'll re-evaluate in a month and I'll probably ask for a referral to another therapist.  I know I need to see a therapist to deal with the anxiety and ocd because meds aren't gonna "cure" anything but this last therapist has put such a bad taste in my mouth with therapy right now.  

I totally agree with rightkindofme - way to go! I am constantly so impressed with people who stand up for themselves and take charge of the direction and relationships in their lives. A therapist should be someone that you feel supports you to grow and bring clarity to your life. I know it's so hard to break such an intimate relationship and to feel conflicted about the meanign of your past 6-months of relationship with your therapist. I can imagine, at least somewhat. But, I am impressed by this and it really says to me that you are strong inside.

xo

I am in Michigan celebrating and remembering my grandma's amazing life. My family here are all so wonderful. I have had so many wonderful talks. I love my family so much. Tomorrow I fly home to be with my kids and I can't wait. I miss them and all their little quirks. But I don't miss the mess that is my divorce. This coming week, X is supposed to respond to my lawyer's letter. I am preparing myself. Thanks for the positive thinking!

#63 of 70 Old 10-06-2012, 03:26 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

How is everyone doing?  It's awfully quiet out there!  I've been thinking lately about trying to get pregnant again.  It's a scary thing to consider, for many reasons.  The top two are: 1) We already have a daughter with Down Syndrome, and it's always possible that we could have another child with special needs.  My postpartum depression and panic attacks were the worst thing I have ever been through, and I'm not sure if I could deal with that again.  2)  I feel like we're just getting my medications adjusted to where they need to be,and if I got pregnant I would have to change meds and taper off some of them, and I'm not sure how that would go.  The clock is definitely ticking, though, as I am turning 40 this month.

Tired mama to my wild childenergy.gif ribbluyel.gif

#64 of 70 Old 10-12-2012, 09:10 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)

It IS quiet in here lately.  If you guys are like me, this cold dreary rainy weather we are having lately here in New England has really put a damper on things.  I'm feeling that seasonal depression/lack of motivation sneak in again like it always does.  I'm trying to "think warm" with handknit woolies and soups and baking to combat it.  It was lovely at the Farmer's Market this morning to see all my favorite farmers in their warm knit hats and sweaters showcasing their hard work.  heartbeat.gif

Anyway, so I had an appt this morning with a new therapist that I think I'm going to really like and respect who has a great plan outlined for treating my OCD.  I feel like she gets me and I don't feel self-conscious with her which was really refreshing.  I hope this is a good new start for me.  My meds have been changed around a little and I'm weaning off Effexor and onto Zoloft which has definitely made me see positive changes in my cleaning compulsions already even at the low dose I'm on which is REALLY wonderful.  I'm far from "well-managed" but just seeing a tiny glimmer of light at the end of the tunnel is soooo amazing.  

Hope everyone is well.

treehugger.gifjog.gifgreenthumb.gifknit.gifnamaste.gif

#65 of 70 Old 10-12-2012, 03:04 PM

I've just been busy, I guess. Divorce is so consuming. I feel much more emotionally stable these days. I've been really enjoying my time with the kids and I am feeling empowered as a parent by finally being able to set limits and uphold them and not worry about what 'HE' will say. the kids seem to be responding really well to the new house rules and routines. Everything is running so much more smoothly.

I just wrote out a long post but realized it's not a good idea to share so much on a public forum when I'm going through this family law process. I'll just say that the family court system here is obstructive for women leaving abusive relationships and her children.  It's enough to make me explode, but somehow I'm doing ok. My friends are amazing and I think that's what has really been the key for me. I no longer have a vehicle so I bike everywhere, which gives me the exercise I need. So, things are ok.

Hugs. xo

#66 of 70 Old 10-17-2012, 01:14 PM

Hey all...I'm new to the site and dealing with or should I say "finally dealing with" my anxiety/depression in a healthy way instead of trying to mask it or supress it with drugs etc.

It's comforting to know there are others out there who are in a similar situation.  Right now I'm taking a few meds for the anxiety/depression but I am slowly tapering off them because I don't believe they are actually helping the situation.

Things got so bad that I had to leave my job at the end of August to deal with this head on.  I've finally accepted that without your health nothing else matters.

I suppose I'm fortunate to be able to take some time away from work, since my wife and I don't have children.  However, we aren't independently wealthy so I do have a time line to think about.

Anyway....thought I'd say hello and introduce myself.

Hope you are all doing well.

#67 of 70 Old 10-18-2012, 05:38 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Hello! Overall this isn't really a mental health site though a lot of parents have mental health issues and we try to support one another. I hope we can give you support as well. We are intermittent as a group. :)

Figuring stuff out is important. I hope you find a way to make the peace you need to make.

My advice may not be appropriate for you. That's ok. You are just fine how you are and I am the right kind of me.

#68 of 70 Old 10-18-2012, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raininginmymind View Post

Hey all...I'm new to the site and dealing with or should I say "finally dealing with" my anxiety/depression in a healthy way instead of trying to mask it or supress it with drugs etc.

It's comforting to know there are others out there who are in a similar situation.  Right now I'm taking a few meds for the anxiety/depression but I am slowly tapering off them because I don't believe they are actually helping the situation.

Things got so bad that I had to leave my job at the end of August to deal with this head on.  I've finally accepted that without your health nothing else matters.

I suppose I'm fortunate to be able to take some time away from work, since my wife and I don't have children.  However, we aren't independently wealthy so I do have a time line to think about.

Anyway....thought I'd say hello and introduce myself.

Hope you are all doing well.

Welcome. Sounds good that you are dealing with this. Taking the time you need is indeed a real gift but so neccessary. 

#69 of 70 Old 10-19-2012, 04:28 PM

Hello everyone.  I've suffered from Major Depressive Disorder since I was a teenager.  I tend to take medications until I feel better, then stop taking them, then plunge again.  This time I have to convince myself to keep taking medication that works.

Just this afternoon I had an acupuncture session to help with anxiety.  It worked - I went in feeling awake and refreshed, and came out feeling sleepy and relaxed.  I don't know how long term the effects are.

I've also been seeing a therapist and going to various support groups.  I hadn't realized until today that this "online support group" was here.  So hello everyone!

#70 of 70 Old 10-19-2012, 07:03 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)

kythe, Welcome!  I am glad you found some relief with the acupuncture.  That's really interesting.  I know it's not the same thing obviously but my sister is trying acupuncture for her dog with severe anxiety and pain issues hoping that it helps him.  She said she has a friend who uses acupuncture exclusively for her anxiety and finds it immensely effective.  I'm intrigued.

treehugger.gifjog.gifgreenthumb.gifknit.gifnamaste.gif

Tags
Mental Health

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page