Helping Friends with Mental Illness and Maintaining Boundaries - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 07-26-2012, 03:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I have a friend that is in a bad situation and I would like to help but I also cannot compromise my family by doing so. Here's the situation:

My friend and his fiance have multiple mental illness diagnoses: Bipolar, schizophrenia, paranoid delusions, and so on. Anyway they have two children (7yrs and 16 months) and she is 5 months pregnant (supposedly, I haven't seen her to confirm). Currently they are homeless, no car, no phone, no meds. Their families are tired of dealing with them (there is accusations of lying, illegal drug use and stealing, which is not unusual for people with their illnesses when they go out of control). The grandparents took in the children but left the adults to couch surf at friends homes where they quickly wear out their welcome and then walk the streets. She has had no prenatal care and openly admits to smoking cigs. They called me recently and wanted to stay at my house. I had to say no. Both my husband and I work full time and we have 5 kids, one of which is special needs, so even though I wanted to say yes, it just doesn't seem safe. I have called Catholic Services and a few shelters and such to try and give them options. Almost everything has a waiting list. I am really concerned for the unborn baby. I want to offer to drive her to Doc appointments and help her get set up on WIC, food stamps and so forth but I know how time consuming it could be for me. So help me out. Where do I draw the line? Also, I know this is going to be very controversial, I want to recommend they seek adoption counseling. I am a birth mom so I don't say this lightly. They have two children already and not only can they not take care of them, they cannot take care of themselves. Any suggestions?

Thanks! 

~Patti~ rainbow1284.gifMomma to three girls and three boys chicken3.gif, First mother to one girl triadadopt.jpg

Certified, card carrying member of the IEP Binder Clubkid.gif  

#2 of 3 Old 07-28-2012, 11:11 AM

Just wanted to give some insight because my brother sounds like your friend (but he doesn't have kids). There is a reason our family, close and extended, have all finally stopped being able to help. It was after years of giving and never got us/him anywhere. He is still in the same position (by choice, or mental issue, drugs, who knows). We've repeatedly spent the time to take him to rehab, get setup with food stamps, find an apartment.. He always let it fall through after "getting back on his feet". Anyway, since he can't turn to family anymore, I'm sure he is trying to use the resources of every last friend he can find. I feel bad thinking he is out using those friends. It's dangerous on many levels. If your friends can't turn to their family anymore, there are reasons, and I think you're right in all your reasons not to help. I do think the adoption suggestion would be a good idea, if there's a way to kindly bring that up. I'm glad to hear the grandparents have taken in the children.

chicken3.gif     2008.2011.2014      homeschool.gif
#3 of 3 Old 07-30-2012, 08:18 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks SimpleLove, it really is sad that there seems like there is nothing anyone can do to help these people. It's such a hard call determining what is free will and what is being driven by mental illness which is beyond their control.

~Patti~ rainbow1284.gifMomma to three girls and three boys chicken3.gif, First mother to one girl triadadopt.jpg

Certified, card carrying member of the IEP Binder Clubkid.gif  

Tags
Mental Health

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page