Anxiety/Tingling.. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-14-2012, 01:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Not sure if I should post here or in Health and Healing since its a bit of both.  I'm wondering if anyone has had something similar mentally AND physically?

A couple of months ago I started getting pinprick-type feelings mainly in my right arm and foot (and sometimes throughout other parts of my body).  WIth that there would also be some feeling of tingling/numbesss in my arm/hand/foot/leg (altho its never been really numb, i can feel when i touch, i guess it more of a falling asleep tingling feeling.)  Over the past month it has worsened, especially when sleeping.  I can't sleep laying flat or I wake and my leg feels very tingly/heavy and I feel like my arms fall asleep more often.  This has increased my level of anxiety to where i have already had one full blown panic attack and now for the past couple of weeks I feel like I have some sort of panic disorder (can't calm my mind, have lost 6 lbs this past week b/c i have no appetite).    I've always been somewhat of a hypocondriac when it symptoms occurring in my body... so, of course, for the past month I've been convinced I have MS or something worse.    Have been to my primary for bloodwork (all normal), 2 neurologists, and just got back from my follow up and both brain and neck scans showed nothing.  THe doctor wants to do one more nerve test, just to rule out any nerve issues, but doesn't think much of my symptoms.  I asked if anxiety can cause issues like this and the first neurologist said yes, second didn't think so (altho he did say these symptoms are a common complaint in his office and most that don't have a cause go away but sometimes take months). 

I felt *somewhat* great yesterday when they called with my results.  I still had some symptoms but they weren't bothering me and now today I'm back to worrying that its just something else that they can't figure out.   And when I worry like this I just can't function.  I don't want to do anything with the kids, I can't relax b/c then I focus on my leg, I pace around thinking all day long, sleep is broken up all night long.   I guess you can say I'm under a good deal of stress... a young familiy member passed away unexpectantly recently (and I have worried thoughts often about death), I homeschool and have a hard time finding a balance, my kids are always fighting, my husband has an anxiety disorder that has caused some issues in the past that should be dealt with, and then this.  My husband keeps trying to convince me that its anxiety and that i have to work on it (I started going to a therapist last week too), and that its alright if I need medication for now.  I was prescribed .25 mg of Xanax for the MRI and for help with sleep if needed - I've taken it twice during a panic episode and it seems to calm me when I'm really worked up (I know the long term issues with Xanax.. I"m preferring not to take this if I go forward with getting on medication).  I feel like all of my random other symptoms (tingling/weird feelings in face, along my back, etc.) disappear when I take it.  

I dislike medications in general and I just don't want to go on them, but part of me is thinking its something I really need to do to get myself out of this.  I guess I just hate making this decision since I feel I should work on these issues naturally (therapy, chiropractic, supplements, etc.), but I think I'm a little beyond that at this point.  

Any advice out there?  Feeling a little crazy. 

Thanks!

homeschooling mama to ella (9) and maya (5)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-16-2012, 12:35 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Many, many hugs to you. I have experienced the fear and many of the symptoms you're describing. I feel for you.

I think there are a couple of tracks here--the anxiety and then if there is a physical cause to it. I'd want to address both.

That neurology did an MRI and aren't concerned is very reassuring. They would see MS for example. They'll do nerve conduction I'm guessing and that will rule out other stuff, including the less serious stuff though your symptoms aren't really consistent with those things anyway. Don't get panicked if the nerve conduction finds something. I had a leg that had some failed conductions...I was told that's still normal...but it freaked me out at the time.

I was tingling, having vertigo, strange sensations on my face especially, constant twitching of muscles, pain and extreme fatigue. Neuro did MRI, nerve studies, etc. like you've had and found nothing. My doctor had checked things like b12 and other deficiencies that might cause tingling (have you had that) and they were normal. Anyway, my son's geneticist suggested a coq10 test and I was extremely deficient. That one indicates metabolic conditions and is rare. But my point is that deficiencies can cause tingling/nervous system issues. I mentioned b vitamins (b12 but several others too--can do it). I'd want a vitamin D (25 OH D) test. You want levels of 50 or above on that even if the lab slip says lower is normal. Iron is another. Carnitine or coq10 deficiency (either low would indicate metabolic condition) can cause this too. There may be other things. Metametrix urine tests do a pretty good metabolic sweep. If you don't get any answers or relief it wouldn't hurt to run that if you can.

On the anxiety side. I do believe anxiety and panic can cause those symptoms. I think you're possibly describing OCD...has anyone mentioned that possibility before? N-acetylcysteine (high doses...600 mg. twice a day to adjust for two weeks and then up to 600 mg 4 x's a day is a pediatric study I saw) is something to try for OCD. There are prescription meds (SSRI) for that too. I don't know if it's effective with panic. But I'm wondering if this is OCD. I'm sorry you're suffering.

Rachelle, mommy to 8 year old boys! 

My Blog-free homeschooling finds and my lesson plans and link to the new User Agreement

Old 08-22-2012, 05:48 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)

treehugger.gifjog.gifgreenthumb.gifknit.gifnamaste.gif

Tags
Mental Health
User Tag List