8 y/o has separation anxiety - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 08-24-2012, 07:39 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I've been a stay at home mama for over 8 years.  Now my 8 y/o dd has separation anxiety, and has had it on/off in varying degrees for about 2 years now.  It started when she was in French Immersion back in grade 1.  She would come home from school constantly telling me she didn't understand the teacher.  Then just before March break she got really sick for a week, then had March break, and then would not return to school.  I literally spent weeks outside of her classroom or outside the school office so that she would go to school.  Eventually that summer we decided to remove her from FI, and grade 2 went smoother, with little episodes of anxiety on occasions here and there.  Well, those episodes are back with a vengence.  She has not let me out of her sight for days.  She's anxious about grade 3 starting in a couple of weeks, and I've started working p/t more, which stresses her out beyond.  I talked to her last night, and she says stuff like 'what if I need you? what if I'm scared and you're not here?'.  We've tried various self soothing techniques, but it seems in the moment, they're not very helpful.  I tend to be very anxious myself, and have had some serious episodes myself in the past couple of years.  I had a panic attack for the first time about a year ago, and seriously thought I was having a heart attack.  I fear that my daughter has inherited my 'craziness'.  I think the only route for me now to take is to get her a therapist.  Anyone have experience with this?

#2 of 2 Old 08-27-2012, 08:40 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Definitely get her to a good child therapist. It's not craziness at all!  It's just something she needs help learning how to cope with it.  The sooner the better!  And you, too, Mom.  Yes, this sort of thing is genetic.  You can better help your daughter by getting your own anxiety treated. 

My daughter and I both deal with this, though it's not separation-related anxiety. She's 17 y.o. and finally we've found a good therapist that she's really comfortable with, that is giving her the practical advice she really needs.  Dd has seen a psychiatrist for prescriptions for meds, but it just doesn't replace good therapy. 

I wish you both the best.

Someone moved my effing cheese.

Tags
Mental Health

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page