Going back to work after a Mental Health also Physical Reason - What to say? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 11-19-2012, 06:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm going back to work tomorrow after several sudden days off from last week.  It was only four days but i told them nothing but have a doctor's note that she recommends I be off for a few days for health reasons.  I am choosing not to tell work what happened - a combination of a physical health issue cause by stress probably and depression.

Problem is, normally my boss and closest co-worker (we all share an office) talk a lot and discuss illnesses (we are in the health field).  Furthermore, I have a consultant like position in the building I work and talk to several people daily - my absence will be noticed and questions (friendly intention) will be asked.  I dont want to share my problem with anyone at work but don't know how to say this when they start asking "what did you have?"  etc etc.  I guess just say its personal?  I want to handle it with class and tactfully.

The reason I dont want to disclose information is mostly because my boss has this image of herself as a perfect type person (she doesnt get sick often, works out a lot, always is well groomed, has the latest clothes, etc) and kind of looks down on people who are not as good as her.  She has commented on a couple of staff members with depression with snarky remarks as well.  My depression is not obvious to her. 

Also worth noting is that I will have to take it easy the next few days, I'm still able to do my job but I won't be able to work much longer hours or take the stairs etc.

Please give me some feedback!  Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 3 Old 11-19-2012, 06:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Oh yes and to add to this my doctor is a naturopath and this is who i got the note from.  I will likely get comments about my doctors note.  Help!

#3 of 3 Old 11-22-2012, 09:13 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)

Sorry I didn't respond sooner--I wouldn't say anything. I would say, "Personal stuff" and smile. It's a job. You aren't friends. You shouldn't have to be more vulnerable than you want to be.

My advice may not be appropriate for you. That's ok. You are just fine how you are and I am the right kind of me.

Tags
Mental Health

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page