lexapro - chest pain, burping (panic disorder) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 12-03-2012, 06:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

hi, i have been battling panic disorder for ten years now. in the last two years it has worsened, with the last few months being absolute hell.

finally i agreed to go on meds, & was put on lexapro (today was day four). all was going well until today.

i am having horrible heartburn that comes & goes, feeling like a stab in the middle of my chest, & burping a lot. i also have pain in my shoulder blands, but cannot tell if it is a sore muscle issue, or related to the other symptoms.

i was having some mild heartburn & burping for the past few weeks, but very mild, & something i had experienced with other prolonged panic attacks. this is nothing i have ever experienced before, &, of course, is making me think that i am having a heart attack. 

my appetite is not what it usually is the past two days. not sure if that has anything to do with what i have already mentioned, or not.

i am trying very hard to focus on breathing, & telling myself that i am fine. i just had an ekg at the doc on friday, & she said it was perfect. those of you with panic issues will know that no matter how many times my husband reminds me of this, i keep thinking that they must have just missed something, & i am going to die. 

my hope is that someone here went through this with lexapro as well, & can tell me how they stopped the pains. also, those of you who have had heartburn like i described, would you please tell me how it felt? i have had a lot of heartburn over the years, but it didn't feel like this.

thanks.

~peace, kat.

mama to ds1(2-6-98) & ds2(7-28-09)
#2 of 3 Old 12-11-2012, 08:14 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)

Ya know I was actually just talking with some people today in the CBT program I'm in for anxiety disorders.  In one of our med information groups we discussed meds like Lexapro and Wellbutrin saying that they did have rapid/erratic heart rate and chest pain as a common side effect.  If it were me, I think I would try to switch to a different medication since it's CAUSING you anxiety/panic.  It's SO uncomfortable to have that racing heart.  I wouldn't want the medication that's supposed to control my anxiety/racing heart to cause it.  I would call my doctor and ask about different medication options if this were me.

treehugger.gifjog.gifgreenthumb.gifknit.gifnamaste.gif

#3 of 3 Old 12-11-2012, 08:17 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)

As a little side note, it may just be that lexapro doesn't agree with your tummy.  Paxil made me very gaggy when I was titrating up.  It ended up not really working for me but that was a very uncomfortable side effect.  I expected it to go away once I stabilized but it never did.  I still felt gaggy and kinda icky in general 6 months later.

treehugger.gifjog.gifgreenthumb.gifknit.gifnamaste.gif

Tags
Mental Health

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page