Mothering Forum banner

Natural depression help - other than St. John's Wort?

6K views 25 replies 13 participants last post by  Julia Fortea 
#1 ·
I took St. John's Wort for mild depression for several weeks. It just didn't do the trick.

I'd like to try something new...any suggestions?

I started exercising regularly about 2 months ago, and that has helped a little. I certainly feel better physically. But I'd like to try some new supplements.

Thanks for any tips!

:)

#4 ·
St. John's Wort didn't work for me either.

If after trying all the great suggestions mentioned and you don't notice a difference, you may want to get your thyroid checked, as depression is one of the signs of hypothyroidism.

Most doctors only do the TSH test, but you may want to look into getting the free T3, free T4 and reverse T3 test, along with a full iron panel.

This is a great site for more info:

StopTheThyroidMadness.com

Reactions: ian'smommaya
#8 ·
Did you try a support group for depression? I know for me at least that having the ability to connect with other mental illness patients makes a BIG difference in the way I perceive my own mental illness and myself. By it's own nature, depression is a vicious circle that causes you to isolate which reinforces negative self-talk and makes you more depressed. Forcing yourself to join a support group and just talking with other people suffering from depression will probably be incredibly difficult when every bone in your body is screaming to isolate but it will make a little roadblock in that circle. It could be the outlet you need. And it may be that one little thing you do that makes a massive difference and gets the ball rolling in the right direction. You just need a small change to give you that momentum to recover.

#9 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by justmama View Post

Did you try a support group for depression? I know for me at least that having the ability to connect with other mental illness patients makes a BIG difference in the way I perceive my own mental illness and myself. By it's own nature, depression is a vicious circle that causes you to isolate which reinforces negative self-talk and makes you more depressed. Forcing yourself to join a support group and just talking with other people suffering from depression will probably be incredibly difficult when every bone in your body is screaming to isolate but it will make a little roadblock in that circle. It could be the outlet you need. And it may be that one little thing you do that makes a massive difference and gets the ball rolling in the right direction. You just need a small change to give you that momentum to recover.
Thank you! My depression suddenly got worse over the last few days. I feel like I have what I would imagine post traumatic stress syndrome might feel like. My anxiety is at an all time high. And I have most certainly been isolating myself. I barely leave my bedroom. I'm going to look into group therapy, like you mentioned.

P.s. can stopping St. John's wort suddenly cause this? Maybe it was doing more than I realized and I should give it another chance.

#10 ·
I'm sorry, I really don't know. Stopping an antidepressant cold turkey will cause symptoms like that but I'm not sure about St. John's Wort. Also, don't discount the depression as mild. You may benefit from seeing a therapist and doing some cognitive behavior therapy. But totally look into a local support group. My local psychiatric hospital does several different support groups for different mental illnesses and they are all staffed with a professional who keeps the group steered in the right direction and manages things. Also, I'm not sure if you have a general physician but you may be able to call them and have them refer you to a mental health professional of some sort whether it be a psychiatrist or therapist or maybe even just a support group that they know of. *hugs* Mental illness sucks.

#11 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by emma1325 View Post

Thank you! My depression suddenly got worse over the last few days. I feel like I have what I would imagine post traumatic stress syndrome might feel like. My anxiety is at an all time high. And I have most certainly been isolating myself. I barely leave my bedroom. I'm going to look into group therapy, like you mentioned.
P.s. can stopping St. John's wort suddenly cause this? Maybe it was doing more than I realized and I should give it another chance.
you need to call a good friend to come over. how is your diet? anxiety can be so difficult. have to tried positive self talk thru the anxiety? and do you have non internet based support systems set up? :hugs:

#12 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by ian'smommaya View Post

you need to call a good friend to come over. how is your diet? anxiety can be so difficult. have to tried positive self talk thru the anxiety? and do you have non internet based support systems set up? :hugs:
Thank you, and thanks to everyone who has responded. My depression actually morphed into a monster. :(

I'm dealing with it as best I can. I don't have any non internet based support systems set up, besides my husband, who I think I may be driving crazy. Since I wrote this post a few weeks ago, I've been taking:

St. John's Wort Positive Mood (which includes Valerian root, B-vitamins and some other herbal mood enhancers)

Vitamin C - about 3000 mg I think

Vit D3 - 10,000 IU's/day

Fish Oil - 3,000 mg/day

Niacin - I'm up to about 2,000 mg of this...trying to get up to 3,000

Evening Primrose Oil

Lithium Orotate - 750 mg

Powdered Cal/Mag at night in hot chamomile tea

Last week I added a multivitamin into the mix, and I ended up vomiting all day long. I felt like I poisoned myself. Never again! I dropped the multi and I'm back to just the above supplements, which I tolerate well.

I've been exercising almost everyday for about an hour. The Cal/Mag seems to help me sleep well. I've been eating fairly well, I get plenty of veggies and fruits and tons of spring water.

I'm at my wits end on what to do about myself. I just have this awful, anxious feeling in the pit of my stomach at all times. I can't get rid of it. It radiates out to my arms and legs when I breathe in and out.

Any more suggestions for a desperate pitiful soul? I don't have health insurance and I really can't afford to see a doctor. I've actually had Xanax on my mind lately...I want some! I took it many years ago on and off for a few months, and it really helped. But I've since read all the horror stories about the side effects...

:(

#13 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by emma1325 View Post

I read back through the responses and was reminded of this advice. I'm going to call around and see if I can find a support group.

Thank you.

#15 ·
See if you can find a copy of The Mood Cure at your local library. The tanning salon will probably help a lot though.

#16 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicharronita View Post

See if you can find a copy of The Mood Cure at your local library. The tanning salon will probably help a lot though.
Thanks, I'm going to look for that book.

I keep hearing/reading conflicting information about the tanning salon. One piece of advice I read put out by the Vit D Councel was to use an "old school" tanning bed...not the pressurized beds that tan you in five minutes. So that's what my package is...just the basic 20 minute bed. I hope it helps. I go for the first time today.

#18 ·
I second the recommendation for the Mood Cure. Also check out Potatoes not Prozac - you can get the basic info to get you started on their website. Propert nutrition is KEY. What helps me most are proper nutrition, exercise, supplements, keeping busy and changing my negative thought patterns (cognitive behavioral stuff). Proper nutrition for me means adequate complete protein (20-30 g per meal) like meat, fish, cheese, eggs, adequate fats and low-glycemic carbs (I do eat a sweet potato at night 3 hrs after dinner as recommended in Potatoes not Prozac). You need the carbs to convert the tryptophan from protein to serotonin and melatonin. I avoid "bad" carbs like sugar and high glycemic foods that spike my blood sugar too much and then lead to a blood sugar crash, which can leave me feeling anxious (I also avoid grains). For some caffeine (coffee, tea, chocolate) can cause anxiety (I'm ok with green tea). Exercise of any kind is good, but for me I need more intense physical exercise as opposed to something like yoga. The following supplements helped me at various times: SAM-e (I use Natrol), Vitamin D (I take 8,000IU), magnesium, b-complex (though I prefer to get all my vitamins and minerals from the foods I eat), 5-HTP, Rescue Remedy and fish oil. If you're going to try amino acids, definitely read the Mood Cure first.

#19 ·
Maybe I didn't take enough niacin today... I am so mad! I just typed out a huge post and now... Gone! I was trying to add links. Anyhow, here is a good video about niacin and depression. . I also recommend high doses of vitamin C, 6-18 grams (not milligrams) per day. You are definitely on the right track with niacin. It is my depression cure, for sure! If you can't tolerate the flush so much, go for inositol hexaniacinate (no flush niacin). Same psychiatric benefits. It is what I give my kids. For many more articles, go to www.doctoryourself.com. I found this website when all three of my kids had whooping cough (this time two years ago). It was hell on earth, let me tell you. They recovered with very high doses of vitamin C. And that includes my DD who was just under a year old at the time. Whooping cough lasts a long time, and I didn't learn about nutrient therapy until about two weeks in. They were all better in a matter of days.

I didn't mean to go so off track, just letting you know how helpful this website was for me. And of course, I cured my depression shortly thereafter with niacin. Many good articles there about niacin, especially Abram Hoffer's protocols. Niacin works best in as many divided doses as you can manage. For me, that is two right now, but when I was at my worst, in the beginning, I was strict about three times daily dosing.

Good luck! I better stop writing before I am the victim of the phantom iPad again! LOL!

#20 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by velveeta View Post

Maybe I didn't take enough niacin today... I am so mad! I just typed out a huge post and now... Gone! I was trying to add links. Anyhow, here is a good video about niacin and depression. . I also recommend high doses of vitamin C, 6-18 grams (not milligrams) per day. You are definitely on the right track with niacin. It is my depression cure, for sure! If you can't tolerate the flush so much, go for inositol hexaniacinate (no flush niacin). Same psychiatric benefits. It is what I give my kids. For many more articles, go to www.doctoryourself.com. I found this website when all three of my kids had whooping cough (this time two years ago). It was hell on earth, let me tell you. They recovered with very high doses of vitamin C. And that includes my DD who was just under a year old at the time. Whooping cough lasts a long time, and I didn't learn about nutrient therapy until about two weeks in. They were all better in a matter of days.

I didn't mean to go so off track, just letting you know how helpful this website was for me. And of course, I cured my depression shortly thereafter with niacin. Many good articles there about niacin, especially Abram Hoffer's protocols. Niacin works best in as many divided doses as you can manage. For me, that is two right now, but when I was at my worst, in the beginning, I was strict about three times daily dosing.

Good luck! I better stop writing before I am the victim of the phantom iPad again! LOL!
Thank you!!

I'm on day 2 of doing the sunbed, along with all of my vitamins. I'm now feeling *cautiously* optimistic. The depressive anxiety seems a whole lot better. My workouts at the gym even seemed better...I was able to do twice as much as usual. I'm not sure, but I'm thinking the sunbed is helping me absorb my vitamins better.

I'm going to up my vitamin C and niacin.

Thanks again! :)

#21 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katc8910 View Post

I second the recommendation for the Mood Cure. Also check out Potatoes not Prozac - you can get the basic info to get you started on their website. Propert nutrition is KEY. What helps me most are proper nutrition, exercise, supplements, keeping busy and changing my negative thought patterns (cognitive behavioral stuff). Proper nutrition for me means adequate complete protein (20-30 g per meal) like meat, fish, cheese, eggs, adequate fats and low-glycemic carbs (I do eat a sweet potato at night 3 hrs after dinner as recommended in Potatoes not Prozac). You need the carbs to convert the tryptophan from protein to serotonin and melatonin. I avoid "bad" carbs like sugar and high glycemic foods that spike my blood sugar too much and then lead to a blood sugar crash, which can leave me feeling anxious (I also avoid grains). For some caffeine (coffee, tea, chocolate) can cause anxiety (I'm ok with green tea). Exercise of any kind is good, but for me I need more intense physical exercise as opposed to something like yoga. The following supplements helped me at various times: SAM-e (I use Natrol), Vitamin D (I take 8,000IU), magnesium, b-complex (though I prefer to get all my vitamins and minerals from the foods I eat), 5-HTP, Rescue Remedy and fish oil. If you're going to try amino acids, definitely read the Mood Cure first.
Thanks so much!!

#22 ·
All great suggestions for depression. Glad to hear you are feeling better hope it has continued! St John's Wort doesn't work for everyone. Sometimes a combination of herbs will be more helpful. Here at Herb Pharm we have the Good Mood Tonic which contains herbs for both mild depression and occasional anxiety. The herbs are St. John's Wort, Ashwanganda, Skullcap and Prickly Ash. Another herb to consider for mild depression is Lemon Balm. Do keep up the exercise and keep reaching out as it's so easy to get isolated.

#23 ·
How much St. John's are you taking? 300mg works for me but for others they need 600 or 900. Personally, I would not take Valerian every day, since it makes me tired, which would lead me to feeling depressed, lol. But if it's working for you, or you take it before bed, ymmv. I know the tanning bed helps me, so does getting outside for a walk each day, no matter how short, if the weather allows. Good luck!

#24 ·
OP, I'm glad you're doing better. I hope that's continuing.

Other options in case it might help someone who comes across the thread:
5-HTP
Inositol (double blind, controlled study here)
Both 5-HTP and Inositol would be avoided with other meds that might increase seritonin uptake like standard antidepressants (SSRI's)

SAM-E can safely be, and in studies has been, combined with SSRI based medications. It acts differently.

SAM-E (that one helped my husband; 5 HTP didn't; some information here)

#25 ·
Hi Emma. I'm sorry you are struggling with this. It's great you are doing so much proactively to conquer it though!

I had anxiety and depression for years and later realized it was a thyroid and hormone problem by eating the wrong foods. It looks like you are taking a great set of supplements. The B vitamins, fish oil, and cal/mag helped me. But most importantly I did a food elimination diet and found out I was sensitive to gluten, soy, and a few other things. Eliminating those permanently from my diet, plus switching to basically an all organic diet focusing on local food, made a huge difference. I also stopped being vegan and now eat a lot of grassfed meat, which also made a huge difference. And I cut out almost all sugar.

And no caffeine except sometimes yerba mate.

I just feel I am a really sensitive person, and I have to treat my body as such. But it took me about 20 years to figure it out myself. The gluten caused me the most anxiety. Now if I eat some, I basically have an anxiety attack. But I never would have known I had a problem with it until I totally eliminated it for a couple weeks. Just an idea!

#26 · (Edited)
If you want to effectively deal with depression I'd start with the cause. Depression is usually a side effect of another problem. Natural remedies may help, but if the cause of the problem persists it's not going to make much difference in the long-run. No harm in trying though.

Others have mentioned Omega-3, B vitamins, and other supplements that may help. I'd also add folic acid (if you don't already take enough of it), rhodiola rosea, ginkgo biloba, and mucuna pruriens (natural source of l-dopa -- boosts mood and libido). There are many natural brain enhancement formulas on the market that claim to enhance mood and brain function. May I recommend a nootropic called Mind Lab Pro (see review here)? It works for both men and women indifferently.

Don't expect significant results from supplements though. They can support your mental health to some extent but you also need to look into improving your lifestyle. i.e. eat healthy, exercise, and reduce sources of stress, anxiety, insecurity, etc.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.