St. John's Wort while nursing? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 02-17-2013, 01:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I have had success with Paxil in the past for social phobia and depression. My dilemma now though, is that I am still nursing my 8 month old son. I consider myself a "crunchy mama" as much as possible. The thought of Paxil and nursing is pretty gross to me. I have tried many other SSRI's and Paxil is the only one that has worked for me. I was thinking of trying St. John's Wort, but was wondering if this is safe while nursing. I mean, honestly, is it or isn't it?! I have done the research, looked at Kellymom, dr. Hale, etc. all which say Paxil is safer. I really would like to keep giving my son the benefits of breastmilk. He does get formula, but I really don't want to have to wean him now. I NEED some sort of medication for my moods and anxiety. Does anyone have any advice? Have you tried St. Johns Wort while nursing?

I should add that I am currently taking

High Potentcy Prenatal, Barleans Fish oil, Vitamin D 5000 IU, cal/mag. in the evening, and the Kyolic brand stress relief formula. I do have a "Happy Light" therapy lamp that I sit by daily as well for SAD.

#2 of 2 Old 02-17-2013, 02:14 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
For me, my continual strugal with depression is often debilitating and interrupted my parenting. My doctor, lc and I decided to resume the celexa I was on before pregnancy. I had tried st. John's wort and it hadn't been effective for me. I don't know much about paxil and I believe that there is a lack of studies on the efficacy and safety on herbals so that could be why other sites say that paxil (being studied) is safer. I recommend just getting together with a doc and discussing your history, paxils pros and cons as well as the herbal options. For me not going back on pharmaceuticals was not on option AMD my baby needed my milk.

Tags
Mental Health

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page