Disordered Eating and Mental Health - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 03-14-2013, 03:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I am not sure where to post this, but because what I struggle with is largely emotional in origin, I thought I'd post it here. I'm overweight and suffering from high blood pressure and high cholesterol. I am a binge eater and, in the past, was bulimic.

Recently, I was told to lose weight and prescribed a low-fat, low-sodium diet by my doctor.  I'm 60 lbs overweight per my doctor, and I am on bp medication. I really feel like I need to address the binge eating behavior and really look at what is going on emotionally before I think about trying to actively lose weight. I feel like trying to go on a diet would trigger some of the binging behaviors.

Has anyone struggled with these things? I am interested in the HAES approach, and wonder if that would be helpful given my background with restriction, binging, and purging. I appreciate any wisdom/thoughts. Thank you.

#2 of 7 Old 03-14-2013, 08:44 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)

In God we trust; all others must show data. selectivevax.gifsurf.gifteapot2.GIFintactivist.gif
#3 of 7 Old 03-14-2013, 08:44 PM

In God we trust; all others must show data. selectivevax.gifsurf.gifteapot2.GIFintactivist.gif
#4 of 7 Old 03-14-2013, 09:03 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I read a couple months ago that drinking 8oz of concord grape juice daily results in weight loss. I drink concord grape juice and am a good weight. You may want to give it a try.
#5 of 7 Old 03-15-2013, 03:35 PM

My long drawn out reply seems to have disappeared. irked.gif

The gist:

1. A typical recovery "team" consists of A.) a therapist--trained in eating disorders, including Binge Eating Disorder, if that's your diagnosis-- to help you through the underlying stuff, B.) a dietician/nutritionist to collaborate with you in creating healthy, realistic menus AND to master the art of *mindful* eating, if that makes sense innocent.gif, and C.) a physician--again someone with knowledge of eating disorders.

2. Dieticians and therapists are increasingly getting on the HAES band-wagon, fortunately, but you may still wish to call around. It will be harder to find a HAES-minded doctor but not impossible. Definitely get recs from your therapist and dietician.

3. I don't like straight cognitive-behavioral therapy, but some is definitely beneficial!

I think your intuition is spot-on; a conventional diet may well backfire.

hug.gif Good luck with your recovery journey!

#6 of 7 Old 03-18-2013, 08:18 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)

I didn't want to read and not respond since this thread is slow right now.  I don't have any suggestions, just sympathy.  I'm considered a healthy weight right now but have very disordered eating and not great body condition due to anxiety/depression issues.  I know how frustrating it can be and I really hope yo u can get some assistance.  I'm not sure if you have a mental health condition other than disordered eating issues or are seeing a therapist, but it may be beneficial for you to see one for help controlling the emotions that cause you to binge eat.  My psych made me see a nutritionist last time I was at the local psych hospital and I didn't find her advice to be very helpful at all.  She was very insistent on pushing 3 glasses of milk daily(I hate milk, always have) and questioning my vegetarian diet and where I would get protein(I've been vegetarian for 15years) and didn't really want to listen to me and my needs.  But I think a therapist would probably be pretty helpful in helping you deal with the emotional side so you can start to focus on the physical side as well.  hug2.gif  Food shouldn't be a battleground.  Food should just be fuel.  It shouldn't be so emotionally charged.  I hate that it is.  

treehugger.gifjog.gifgreenthumb.gifknit.gifnamaste.gif

#7 of 7 Old 03-18-2013, 08:43 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)

- This book doesn't deal with eating disorders specifically but he does talk about his experiences with low-fat dieting leading to binging because the body is always looking for something more.

http://www.amazon.com/Life-Unburdened-Getting-Over-Weight/dp/097920951X

Tags
Mental Health

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page